Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vitamin D  (Read 6961 times)

toffeecushion

Vitamin D
« on: April 18, 2015, 05:07:52 AM »

Does anyone know if a vitamin D deficiency can stop your periods?  I am over a week late but my latest FSH was only 8.6.

After reading about a very bad reaction on this site I am worried about taking vitamin D.  My levels were 18 and I have to see the nurse next week so I think I will be given a high dose by injection.  Please, any good experiences would be gratefully received.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 05:18:33 AM by toffeecushion »

Dancinggirl

Re: Vitamin D
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 08:13:18 AM »

I did respond to you on the other thread but please don't worry about Vit D.  It is very safe and is a vital vitamin so if you are low and given some extra Vit D you may feel a great deal better.  If you are peri menopause then your periods will be erratic and blood tests for FSH and oestrogen are notoriously unreliable as these levels can vary so greatly.
If you need Vitamin D then do take it - deficiency can cause some nasty problems.  Dg x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 08:21:09 AM »

How does 1 know if 1 is low in Vit D?  If we are out and about we should get a good top up daily unless we are covered from head to toe. 

tiger74

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 04:25:37 PM »

Toffeecushion - you asked for good experiences: I've taken supplementary Vit D for years (on medical advice).  I firmly believe this has helped significantly to contribute to excellent DEXA scan results which have proved that my bone density is good compared to my peer group, and this is in spite of 5 years of taking an aromatase inhibitor (one major side effect of which is loss of bone density).

My understanding is that at this latitude (in UK) the sun is not strong enough for some of the year to have much benefit Vit D-wise.  I was told by a consultant rheumatologist that, as a general rule, when out in the sunshine if one's shadow is taller than oneself then the sun isn't doing anything for Vit D levels.

Sadly, the first that some people know that they are deficient in Vit D is when they sustain a bone fracture because of insufficient calcium absorption.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:31:02 PM by tiger74 »

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 05:57:46 PM »

Never had a vitamin D injection but have taken Adcal (vit D & calcium) tablets for 10 years.
No adverse reactions.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 07:10:01 PM »

:bang: but how do you know if 1 is lacking VitD?  There must be symptoms other than fractures  ::) and I don't believe that we don't get enough sunshine otherwise kids would have rickets and everyone would suffer fractures ……..

What has been pointed out in the last couple of years is that because children are driven to school they don't get out in the sunshine, also because they are creamed up and wear sun hats they don't get enough sunshine …… we never used cream nor hats years ago, played out from breakfast to tea time with a picnic in the shade at noon ……. and once in School played out or had 'games'.  Unless it was raining  ::)

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 07:31:27 PM »

Difficult to tell if 1 has a deficiency of vitamin D3.
I was prescribed D3 by my neurologist as it seems to be useful when somebody has MS.

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 07:54:53 PM »

Maybe this will help CLKD.

The only way to know for sure if you're vitamin D deficient is via blood testing. However, there are some signs and symptoms to be aware of as well. If any of the following apply to you, you should get your vitamin D levels tested sooner rather than later.

1. You Have Darker Skin

African Americans are at greater risk of vitamin D deficiency, because if you have dark skin, you may need as much as 10 times more sun exposure to produce the same amount of vitamin D as a person with pale skin!

As Dr. Holick explained, your skin pigment acts as a natural sunscreen, so the more pigment you have, the more time you'll need to spend in the sun to make adequate amounts of vitamin D.

2. You Feel “Blue”

Serotonin, the brain hormone associated with mood elevation, rises with exposure to bright light and falls with decreased sun exposure. In 2006, scientists evaluated the effects of vitamin D on the mental health of 80 elderly patients and found those with the lowest levels of vitamin D were 11 times more prone to be depressed than those who received healthy doses.3

3. You're 50 or Older

As mentioned, as you get older your skin doesn't make as much vitamin D in response to sun exposure. At the same time, your kidneys become less efficient at converting vitamin D into the form used by your body and older adults tend to spend more time indoors (i.e. getting even less sun exposure and therefore vitamin D).

4. You're Overweight or Obese (or Have a Higher Muscle Mass)

Vitamin D is a fat-soluble, hormone-like vitamin, which means body fat acts as a "sink" by collecting it. If you're overweight or obese, you're therefore likely going to need more vitamin D than a slimmer person -- and the same holds true for people with higher body weights due to muscle mass.

5. Your Bones Ache

According to Dr. Holick, many who see their doctor for aches and pains, especially in combination with fatigue, end up being misdiagnosed as having fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome.

“Many of these symptoms are classic signs of vitamin D deficiency osteomalacia, which is different from the vitamin D deficiency that causes osteoporosis in adults,” he says. “What's happening is that the vitamin D deficiency causes a defect in putting calcium into the collagen matrix into your skeleton. As a result, you have throbbing, aching bone pain.”

6. Head Sweating

According to Dr. Holick, one of the first, classic signs of vitamin D deficiency is a sweaty head. In fact, physicians used to ask new mothers about head sweating in their newborns for this very reason. Excessive sweating in newborns due to neuromuscular irritability is still described as a common, early symptom of vitamin D deficiency.4

7. You Have Gut Trouble

Remember, vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin, which means if you have a gastrointestinal condition that affects your ability to absorb fat, you may have lower absorption of fat-soluble vitamins like vitamin D as well. This includes gut conditions like Crohn's, celiac and non-celiac gluten sensitivity, and inflammatory bowel disease.

Optimizing Your Vitamin D Levels May Prevent Cancer, Heart Disease, and More

Honeybun
X

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 08:18:17 PM »

Also there is a lot of information about vitamin D on the NHS website. Here for example:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Summerhealth/Pages/vitamin-D-sunlight.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Vitamin-D.aspx

The NHS suggest these groups that are at risk from Vit D deficiency:

all pregnant and breastfeeding women
    all babies and young children from six months to five years old (unless they are having more than 500ml a day of infant formula)
    older people, aged 65 and over
    people who are not exposed to much sun – for example, those who cover their skin, or who are housebound or confined indoors for long periods

The info in the previous post below comes from a US website and practitioner where the healthcare system is different and I understand that people can just ask for tests for various things - so is probably a bit over cautious re testing and who to test? I'm not sure that any GP in UK would refer someone for Vit D testing just because they are over 50 or overweight - although I think the test is part of a general blood test when a patient complains of certain ill-defined symptoms ( so my GP calls them!) like tiredness etc.

As well as getting out in the  sunshine and open air as much as possilbe there can't be any harm in taking a small amount of Vit D every few days from say Dec - April as a matter of course - which is what I do ( actually have forgotten recently but had lots of sun and eat a good diet!). Also making sure you have lots in your diet. It is stored in the liver so you're not going to suddenly become deficient if you've been out in the sun all summer and continue to eat a Vit D rich diet.

There is some more info here about it too (scroll down for Vit D):

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09315.html

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 09:39:45 PM »

:thankyou: ……. nowt applies to me >phew< - already my hands are turning brown due to the walking and gardening done this year  :-* ………

toffeecushion

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 05:03:02 PM »

Thanks for your replies, going to do as Sparkle suggested and ask for tablets rather than injection :)

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 06:08:15 PM »

I've been taking D3 drops for several years since being advised to by the chiropractor. Last year I had a battery of blood tests to see if there was an obvious cause for extreme exhaustion, which included D3 levels, which can be a cause. Fortunately, my levels are fine.

Sarai

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 06:16:27 PM »

I'm the person with a bad reaction. I had previously taken it in cod liver oil with no problems. My level was 52 last September and feb this year diwn to 18. I was totally unaware it was low. I will never agree to a massive dose again. Most people have about 5000iu per week I was given 40000 to put the level up fast. And it did its 97 now after 4 doses however I felt no benefit from it . It made me so ill I have lost nearly 2 months. The makers say I had a reaction to another ingredient in it. All I know is it's the worst thing I ever did and I cannot understand why they feel the need to blast us with the stuff when the deficiency will not kill us.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 09:53:51 PM »

It may have been the coating Sarai …..

Getting into the sunshine was not an option today, the wind was icy  >:(

Sarai

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 10:50:48 AM »

CLKD it must have one hell of a coating on it to make me so very ill.
Pages: [1] 2