Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hysterectomy  (Read 4238 times)

Bella0174

Hysterectomy
« on: April 06, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »

I've received my hysterectomy date for the 20th April. I have Fem seven patches 75mg ready to commencement following the op as my ovaries are also bring removed  Has anyone any advice on when to start them. Thank you.

Taz2

Re: Hysterectomy
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 11:53:04 AM »

Hi Bella - welcome to the forum.

I think that you will be given advice by your consultant at the time of your op. It varies from straight away to "give it a month or so" from what I understand. Have you had a look at this site http://www.hysterectomy-association.org.uk/. Lots of info on there from women who have already undergone hysterectomy. It  may be worth having a look if you haven't already. I found it a great help when I was gearing up for my own op last year.

Let us know how you get on and good luck for the 20th. Are you having the hyster for bleeding problems?

Taz x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 11:55:59 AM »

Hi Bella0174 and welcome to MM
Do tell us more about yourself so we can support you better.  How old are you? Why are you having the hysterectomy?  Femseven patches are usually given to women who still have their uterus but if you suffer from endometriosis then doctors often want progesterone included to stop any build up.
Do read up all the info on this site - there is a good section on post operative, surgical menopause.
It's really good they are offering you hormone treatment and patches are often a good option so the Femseven may be a good starting point. I would question why you need a combined HRT of oestrogen with progesterone as you may only need oestrogen.  Many of us have to try different HRT preparations to find the best one so it can be a bit of trial and error.
Keep us posted.   DG x

Linsey44

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 12:06:21 PM »

Hi the consultant should advise you, mine said i had to wait until 3 wks post op due to risk of blood clots / lack of mobility.  That it quite common.

Have you been on the hysterectomy association website? Really useful to share your progress with other women going through it at the same time.

Good luck

Bella0174

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 02:53:08 PM »

Thanks for your replies. I'm 45 and having the operation for multiple fibroids causing pain and bleeding. The Fem seven patches I have been given are just the oestrogen only ones. I will have a good read on the suggested website and more about post op info on here. Nervous about the op but cannot wait to be free of the anaemia and pain which occurs each month. I'll keep you updated how I get on. Thanks again for your advice.

dazned

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 03:41:13 PM »

Good luck ,keep in touch let us know how you are doing Bella.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 05:04:34 PM »

Hi again Bella. I'm curious as to why you have been advised to have your ovaries removed? Many consultants now try to conserve them as even when we are post meno they continue to excrete small amounts of oestrogen and although they can be shocked into an earlier menopause after a hysterectomy and fail a bit sooner than the usual meno age, in my opinion,  you are young to lose them altogether.

Taz x

Bella0174

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 07:09:07 PM »

I get so much ovulation pain each month and for how long they would last me following the op we decided they are better off out than in. I was undecided however until he palpated my abdomen  during the consultation I nearly jumped of the bed as my ovaries were extremely tender. I've always struggled with ovulation pain so at least I won't have that each month after the op x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 07:34:02 PM »

My Oncologist suggests removal of everything …… to avoid further problems 'down the line'.

lancashirelass

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 08:03:33 PM »

The latest advice from the rcog is.if.the hyst is.for non.cancerous.conditions it is,preferable to leave the ovaries in.  The exception being.severe endo.  At 45 i would like carefully for just fibroids.

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 08:18:11 PM »

My Oncologist suggests removal of everything …… to avoid further problems 'down the line'.

Is this recent advice CLKD? If so I'm surprised as the current NHS guidelines are that ovaries should be left in if they are not causing any problems unless there is a strong family history of ovarian cancer. I was certainly discouraged from having mine removed even though I am post meno.

Bella - I can see why you are having yours removed. Here's to a pain-free future. The waiting for the op is the worst part - everyone says that and it's true!!

Taz x

Bella0174

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 03:33:58 PM »

Thank you everyone. I will let you know how I get on x

GeordieGirl

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 06:08:03 PM »

I do wonder if  they'd give the same advice to men. "Let's sort out the prostate and let's whip out the testicles while we're there to avoid further problems down the line". Call me a cynic...

Bella it sounds like you're desperate to get rid of yours, hopefully you'll find a lot of support on here to help you manage the menopausal symptoms afterwards and get back on track quickly.

Best of luck with it all,
GG X

Bella0174

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 09:03:29 AM »

Thank you. I'm just desperate to get rid of the pain. I will let you know how how get on.