Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Severe pain in upper arms!  (Read 9497 times)

Laine

Severe pain in upper arms!
« on: April 01, 2015, 03:29:23 PM »

I went for an xray yesterday as the pain in both upper arms has got so bad it's waking me up at night  :(

I don't have very good posture and find myself hunched over all the time and have to force myself to relax my shoulders. Over time it's caused a pain at the back of my neck which has now affected my arms.

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and what you did/do to try and ease it?

Laine x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Severe pain in upper arms!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 03:33:44 PM »

Yoga! Swimming!  Brisk walking all with shoulders lowered and head high.  If someone suffers anxiety the shoulders can rise and everything from mid-waist upwards becomes tense ……..

I take 2 Nurofen and step out briskly, by the time I get home the sciatica has eased.  Making sure that you sit relaxed and not slumped can help symptoms.

How do you sleep, do you need a new pillow?

Laine

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 04:16:01 PM »

I've just started walking to work in the hope that will help, only trouble is I've now got a pain down the side of my leg lol.

Think I may have to have a wander into town and invest in some new pillows.

It's trying to relax my shoulders that's hard as I've been tense in that area for so long!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 04:30:54 PM »

Pull your shoulders up as close to your ears as possible: hold for the count of 3; lower slowly.  Lean your left ear to your left shoulder and then r ear to r shoulder.  Return to the centre.  10 mins. several times a day.  Lower shoulders and breath deeply. 

GeordieGirl

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 04:51:36 PM »

I've had what feels like frozen shoulder for a month or so. I thought it was some kind of repetitive strain injury to start with to do with where I sit when working but I've changed that a number of times and it hasn't made any difference and I suspect it's more of a menopausal thing - sigh.

Has HRT managed to cure (or diminish) this for anyone?

GG x

Laine

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 06:00:12 PM »

I've just tried leaning my head to each side and it's so tight around my neck area, will try and remember to do them every day  :)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 06:02:15 PM »

Gently.  Stretching.  Whilst watching TV  ;)

Tabbycat

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 06:27:38 PM »

Book yourself a sports massage - seriously, it's excellent!

It's not a relaxing treatment while you're having it - be prepared for quite a bit of discomfort and even some pain - but it's fab afterwards and has a deeper and longer lasting effect than a normal relaxing massage.

A sports therapist will spend some time diagnosing where your tension is and how your body is (or isn't!) working and anything caused by bad posture.

Laine

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 06:51:50 PM »

Never thought of a sports massage, will see if there is anyone near me. I'm also looking out for a yoga class  :)

rosebud57

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 08:23:41 PM »

If you are getting pain down your leg as well it could be sciatica.  When I had physio for mine the cause was a misaligned vertebra between my shoulder blades.  This put my whole spine out of kink and put pressure of the sciatic nerve at the base of the spine. 

If you have something similar, that could explain the pain in you arms as well.  I also use to get a lot of shoulder pain.

Luckily four sessions of physio put it right. :) 

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 12:45:01 PM »

I was going to suggest a sports massage as well, our local physio does them so that could be a good starting point of where to look?  And exercise as CLKD says - I can vouch for Pilates, it worked wonders for my back :)

Laine

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 06:23:45 PM »

Got my results from the xray back today and I have osteo arthritis. My gp is referring me onto muskoskeletal therapy. Feeling very old today  :'(

rosebud57

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 06:52:21 PM »

That's a shame Laine, but at least you know what you have.

Is it in the family, it often is? :hug:

Laine

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 07:06:53 PM »

Im not sure if it runs in families, my mum was only 45 when she died. My gp mentioned an injection and I've read up on it this evening so fingers crossed I can have that.

Have also started exercises, a couple were mentioned on here so hopefully that will help a bit. I'm on painkillers in the hope that it will help at night too :-)

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 10:55:51 AM »

Got my results from the xray back today and I have osteo arthritis. My gp is referring me onto muskoskeletal therapy. Feeling very old today  :'(

Try not to feel "old" Laine. It's such a common ailment. Me and a friend have had oesteo in our necks and spine since we were in our thirties and it's only in the last year or so (I'm 61 now) that I have noticed it beginning in my thumbs. It's very different to rheumatoid which makes you feel ill as well. Exercises can work wonders. Where is the wear and tear?

Taz x  :hug:
Pages: [1] 2