Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: The teenage brain  (Read 4592 times)

rosebud57

The teenage brain
« on: March 24, 2015, 09:05:16 AM »

On BBC radio 4 NOW (9am Tues, 24th).  Programme all about how the teenage brain works etc.

If you miss it you can catch it on iplayer.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: The teenage brain
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 11:49:58 AM »

I expect this idea will blow over too  ::) - is it about how much more sleep teens require and how sleeping later will ease their life style?   :-X

We of a similar age have talked about this a lot since the theory was muted   -   we had to be up at 6.30 a.m. to catch the 7.00 bus to get to College - Mum would shove a packet of sandwiches and a brolly into my hand as I walked out the door.  We didn't get home until 5.30 ……. we had homework which I always did straight away, done.  DH had a Sat. job which meant leaving his house at 7.00 in order to begin the packing and selling, he didn't get a break, carried a flask of coffee and was home for his evening meal around 6.00 p.m.. 

His Dad left the house at 5.30 a.m. to catch his lift to work 15 miles away.  If he didn't catch his lift he didn't get paid that day.  His Mum got up every morning to see him off then got the kids up. 

The young of today may well like to lay in bed until the middle of the day but they are unlikely to get jobs ……… some might like to give up Clubbing until the Early Hours in order to join in with the Real World  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 01:58:39 PM »

My daughter can and does sleep for her country when she can.....however, she will also get up at 6am to get to uni by 9. She works every Sunday and her morning shift starts at 7. She often studies late into the night.

The problem is when they won't get up to go to school or work.

Both of my two have a great work ethic.

My son worked three jobs at one point when he was at uni.

So yes they do like to sleep but the majority of them can and do work.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 02:11:39 PM »

;D  I reckon my brain is still 17 'cos I could sleep for England ……… give me some  :sunny:, a comfy lounger and a cool breeze  ;)

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 07:01:42 PM »

Son's GF can sleep at the drop of a hat. On holiday 18 months ago, fell asleep sitting on a rock. Wish I could do that.  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 07:04:46 PM »

Was he laying down or did he drop off  ;)