Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Are we over medicated  (Read 9317 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Are we over medicated
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2015, 09:50:32 PM »

;D I've never smoked either. 

I wonder if because appt times have been cut more and more over the years that GPs tend to reach for the Prescription pad instead of discussion?

Ju Ju

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2015, 10:03:02 PM »

I have taken asthma medication all my life. Without it, I would not be here. I have refused ABs and ended up in hospital. I now take HRT and have a better quality of life.  All medication has has side effects. You have to weigh up the risks.

rosebud57

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 10:24:37 PM »

Wow, some really interesting replies.  It looks like most people are pulled two ways, between what they would like to take and what they need to take.  As for myself at the moment I am lucky as I don't take any prescribed meds only, vitamin supplements.  I hope it stays that way for as long as possible.  However many people can feel pressured into taking certain medication.  My sister has high cholesterol (about 8 to 9), and her doctor has told her she has the highest reading of all his patients.  He wants her to take statins but she is resisting.  My brother in law has recently stopped taking them, despite having had 4 strokes, because they were affecting his vision.  His last stroke left him with tunnel vision anyway and the extra side effects from the statin was just too much.  He is in a catch 22 position.  My own doctor is not a statin enthusiast so it also seems that the personal opinion of individual doctors also has an effect.

What a complicated thing modern medicine is, but the most important thing is that our health is ultimately our own responsibility.  We have to gather all the information we can to decide what medication we want/need to take.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:27:01 PM by rosebud57 »

GeordieGirl

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 09:30:14 AM »

There are definitely cases where drugs are needed - my sister has had a long battle with Non Hodgkins lymphoma, which is kept in check with regular low dose chemotherapy.

I don't class something as a drug if it's natural to our bodies and we're supplementing (eg vitamins, natural hormones, nutrients), and I always try this route first. Unfortunately this is also an area where significant clinical studies are scarce or tend to be much smaller - drugs companies aren't going to put the money into trials on natural products they can't patent and the funding just isn't there. That doesn't however negate centuries worth of wisdom though and as long as it's safe then it's always a good first stop. The problem comes when you are suffering from a major illness or condition, I think few of us would choose an alternative unproven route against drugs when we're faced with very serious consequences. 

As for the spliff CLKD, isn't it herbal  ;)

GG x

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 09:50:44 AM »

;D  I wouldn't know ………….

My cholesterol is on the 'high' side but my general Life style is good so my GP tells me I don't need statins. 

Kathleen

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 10:18:49 AM »

Hello ladies.

I've just had another look at this thread and I now have vision of dazned passing round a joint and the furniture polish!
Now THAT'S a party.

Thanks for making me chuckle ladies.

Take care.

K.

rosebud57

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 10:28:39 AM »

The do say laughter is the best medicine.  ;D ;D ;D

dazned

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 10:56:14 AM »

:cancan: :bday3:

Bring it on !

;D

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 01:48:39 PM »

LOL, I'll come to that party....  :bday3:  Seriously though, good topic :)  I do think some Dr's are far too prescription-happy rather than taking the time to listen to their patients.  I was called in last week to have a medication review - I only take my HRT (femoston 1/5 conti) and 20mg of amytryptiline for back pain.  I assumed he would talk about that as I see our practice nurse for my HRT and she was more than happy for me to continue taking it but after a brief chat about the amytryptiline (which I would like to cut down and at some point stop) he started to lecture me about the HRT advising me that I should be thinking about coming off it now as I had been on it for 4 years this May - needless to say he was a young man who admitted that he wasn;t that clued up on it all but when I told him that apart from dealing with minor meno symptoms it also seemed to keep me on a even keel he was quick to offer AD's as a substitute!!!  I was very proud of the fact that I didn't say all I wanted to at the time other than telling him that I would continue to see my nurse for these matters.......

GeordieGirl

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 04:00:02 PM »

he was a young man who admitted that he wasn;t that clued up on it all but when I told him that apart from dealing with minor meno symptoms it also seemed to keep me on a even keel he was quick to offer AD's as a substitute!!!  I was very proud of the fact that I didn't say all I wanted to at the time other than telling him that I would continue to see my nurse for these matters.......

I'd have asked him how au fait he was exactly with the dangers of anti depressants and why he'd  think this a safer or indeed anywhere near more appropriate route than HRT.
It's fine if a doctor doesn't know and admits he doesn't know about HRT, but for one to say he isn't clued up on it and then lecture you? Really?  Really really really???

GG x

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 08:03:03 PM »

I agree.  Point him to Dr Currie so that he can ask questions  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 08:33:28 PM »

I have been thinking a lot lately about the number of drugs that our doctors prescribe, throughout our lives, but particularly as we get older.  Are they all necessary and do some cause us harm?  I ask this as I come from a family who avoid medication if possible.  My parents (90 and 97 years) only take blood pressure and water tabs, and over the years have rejected or come off others.  Other family members take drugs for ailments such as asthma and blood disorders (absolutely necessary) but again try to avoid other drugs e.g. statins. 

I wondered how many of the ladies on the forum are on regular meds, HRT and otherwise, and if they feel totally comfortable about it.  Do some drugs cause as many problems as they alleviate and are the doc trying to 'cure' old age?

What do you all think?

I agree with Kathleen - the crux of the whole issue is "over". Of course plenty of the medication that women in the posts below are talking about is necessary - asthma medication, some anti-biotics, pain relief for chronic back problems etc.

Also agree with GeordieGirl that bio-identical HRT (that I have always used) cannot be considered medication - not in the usual sense of the term  - nor vitamin/oil supplements in small doses.

As for the rest -  I am not clued about about different medications because fortunately I've never had to take any, nor have my close family ( I think my mum aged 87 takes something to protect from osteoporosis since she broke her wrist in a mild fall a few years ago?). However if women on this forum are representative of how women are treated generally I would say yes - in that medications are given in preference to talking/mindful therapies or lifestyle recommendations. The ones that spring to mind are beta-blockers - I thought these were supposed to be for heart problems but seem to be given out to menopausal women a lot; the whole range of anti-depressants and prescribed non HRT listed on this site - this is just unbelievable -that menopausal women are offered and prescribed these most probably unnecessarily in many cases instead of being counselled in coping strategies etc, or offered HRT - far too expensive or the latter erroneously perceived as risky! Antibiotics too have been dished out willy nilly - but I gather this is slowing down now due to increased resistance in bugs.

I don't think it is women's fault that they are being over-medicated - I don't say we because I'm not and intend never to be. I will take appropriate medication for any condition I develop if there is no alternative and is essential for future health. I do think docs have a lot to answer for but with cash-strapped NHS seems like we are stuck with it - except for those with time and inclination to read up on stuff.

Not sure what you mean by are the docs trying to cure old age ???  There are things that go wrong which are painful, debilitating or make us die quicker than we would otherwise. Gradual ageing - whereby our physiological and cellular processes gradually become less efficient over the years but not in an obvious perceptible way that causes a condition, or illness - that lead to our gradual decline until we reach our expected life span - is to be expected, and certain medication can alleviate the pain and discomfort of some of these? Can't see any problem with that. However my friend's mother was kept alive after severe heart attack (in her 80's) that might have killed others, but she went onto to have a series of storkes and had an increasingly difficult life over the next 10 years with my friend spending every weekend going to London to help look after her. It was very stressful for my friend but also her mother did not enjoy those years of her life. Not medication perhaps - but an example of the wonders of modern medicine and its sometimes less ideal consequences.

Hurdity x

rosebud57

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 01:18:02 PM »

Not sure what you mean by are the docs trying to cure old age

Well Hurdity, what I mean is situations such as when my Dads doc wanted him to go on statins at the age of 93.  Apart from the debate as to whether they are affective or not, they come with side effects.  Also at that age any life extending benefits would be minimal.

Both of my parents are of the opinion that at their ages (90 and 97) quality of life take priority over length of life.  What they both suffer from is 'old age' and there is no cure for that, no matter how many drugs you take.   
Pages: 1 [2]