Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: omeprazole side effects  (Read 7684 times)

countrybumpkin

Re: omeprazole side effects
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 08:28:40 PM »

I have a hiatus hernia and have taken famotidine/ranitidine for passt 20 odd years with no side effects at all. Trouble is I still get a bit of heartburn so Dr suggested the omeprazole/lansoprazole.  I had the most horrific side effects from both of them, constant headache/heavy head and doped feeling, starving hungry all the time on one and severe feeling sick on other then very upset bowels and my Gp said if you react to one ppi drug then you react to them all. I am now back on my old tablets.  A friend has also had same experience after being diagnosed with Barratts oesphagus. She had mouth full of ulcers and sore tongue, severe bloating and starving hungry all the time and has had to stop taking them.
Can you ask your Gp to prescribe ranitidine and see how you are with it?

honeybun

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 08:29:32 PM »

I was prescribed it a few weeks ago and my GP said as I had no heart issues it was fine to take occasionally.
I don't know your medical background so I can't advise to take them without checking with your GP.

The used to be sold as motilium. I find them really helpful so its a shame they have been withdrawn.

Honeybun
X

kerrieann

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2015, 08:43:24 PM »

countrybumpkin, thanks so much for that reply, i was beginning to think there was something awful going on, i too have had mouth ulcers, and really have felt ill, makes me feel a little better knowing other people have had similar side effects  kerrie

kerrieann

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 08:46:04 PM »

honeybun, i found them really good for sickness, which iam feeling today, when you say heart problems, i take meds for high blood pressure is that classed as a heart problem would you say ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 09:16:29 PM »

Motillium speeds food through the gut, I was given it for nausea/IBS

kerrieann

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 09:34:13 PM »

yes clkd that what i was given it for just wondered as honeybun said her gp gave it to her as she had no heart problems, i take blood pressure meds. and i have always wondered if high blood pressure comes under heart problems or not do you know ?

honeybun

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2015, 09:47:49 PM »

I would doubt that a couple would hurt but call your GP before just to be safe.

I think it's long term use that's the issue but I really can't remember what my GP said exactly.

Honeybun
X

kerrieann

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2015, 09:50:57 PM »

i think i may check with the pharmacy, honeybun, when i have used them before it was only occasionally, but i found them really good when sicky feelings wouldnt pass
Pages: 1 [2]