Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: omeprazole side effects  (Read 7685 times)

kerrieann

omeprazole side effects
« on: March 24, 2015, 03:37:45 PM »

hi all, not been feeling too good for a while with acid reflux, i have been taking omeprazole or lanzoprazole for around 20 years and hate them, so keep coming off them.
a couple of weeks ago i started with a tickling cough that made my eyes water, then the most awfull sore throat and burning mouth, i knew that it was acid again but went to gp and he said it was silent reflux, no stomach pain but the acid was leaking up from my stomach, anyway he told me to take 40 of omeoprazole at night for a week,  well i have never felt so ill,, totally dizzy, sick and out of it, but the burning and cough didnt really improve so i stopped them after a week and the dizziness, sickness all went away, still got the cough sore throat and mouth.
i decided to to try just 20 omeprazole after a few days and all the symptoms came back, now what i dont understand is that i have taken 20 omp. on and off for years and never had this trouble, so why now ??
any ideas ladies, other half says things change and they no longer suit and not to worry, but i would like to know whats changed, or is it my body going through the change ??

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: omeprazole side effects
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 04:25:49 PM »

What's wrong with 'rennies'?  I have chewed a spearmint flavour this afternoon which eases symptoms without any side-effects, silly me - ate lunch too fast  >:(  :-X ……….. some of the coatings on these medications can cause problems  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 04:30:20 PM »

Took me a few weeks to get over the side effects of these. I agree with your hubby, things change. Give your GP a call, there are quite a few PPIs and you should find one that works and suits you better.

Years ago I took PPIs almost constantly. One kind would work well for a while and then for no apparent reason it would stop. A change always did the trick.

Are you sleeping propped up, sometimes helps.

Honeybun
X

kerrieann

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 04:49:59 PM »

ive tried all the usual sleeping propped up, not eating late etc, the problem is i dont have indigestion or pain the acid according to the gp is just seeping out and causing bad throat, burning mouth tooth pain etc.
Honeybun, have you tried the ranitidine etc.?  years ago i used cimitidine and dont remember getting side effects, i wonder if i could ask to try them, i have tried omeprazole, lanzopral, pantaprazole, but as i say taking that 40 omeprazole for a week really knocked me about and then when i tried 30 of lanzoprazole it did the same, so i am a bit scared of trying another ppi

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 04:53:53 PM »

Hiatus hernia?

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 05:00:23 PM »

How does your indigestion/heartburn manifest itself?  I get pain behind the rib cage and a gurgling stomach.  If I lay down I get dreadful reflux.  I want to burp but am not able to do so  :-X ………. I also get pain in my chin and my neck aches as does my tummy.  Now I've swallowed the 'rennies' it has eased. 

kerrieann

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 05:02:37 PM »

clkd  yes thats what i have, i had the camera down last year and was told i had a very small hiatus hernia, and just to take omeprazole as and when i need them, but they have horrible side effects.
I was wondering, as i say i have taken them on and off for years and not been as bad as i was last week, if it was because i took double the dose for a week, how long would you think they stay in the system ?

kerrieann

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 05:04:27 PM »

clkd, the gp said its silent reflux, so i only know when my mouth starts to burn, sore throat, sometimes my teeth ache, and mainly this damn tickling cough.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 05:30:12 PM »

If it is making the condition worse, why continue  :-\ ………… perhaps speak with a Pharmacist for advice about alternatives?

kerrieann

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 05:40:41 PM »

clkd, yes i will be looking for something else, just going  to try and wait a few days to get the omeprazole out of my system, not sure how long it takes  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 05:41:53 PM »

Probably not very long.  Have a chat with a Pharmacist?

kerrieann

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 05:54:40 PM »

yes will do  :)

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 06:50:52 PM »

Let us know how you get on!

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 07:43:35 PM »

Ratinidine is the old fashioned one....sold as Zantac......if you buy it over the counter it's 75 mg I think and prescribed it's 150mg so you could double up if needed. I also have been prescribed domperidone which I take occasionally and that really sorts me out.

Have you tried the white diet for a few days to give your tummy a rest. Rice, fish, chicken, potatoes. It really can help.

Honeybun
X

kerrieann

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 08:12:38 PM »

rice, yes thats all ive had for tea couldnt face anything else
domperidone is that motillium ? i had that before but when i asked for it a few weeks ago my gp said he wouldnt perscribe it anymore as it has a risk of heart attack  :o  i did google it and there was some some relating to this, i still have it in the cupboard but a bit afraid to take it now
Pages: [1] 2