Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Very post menapausal but just started HRT... Am I doing the right thing?  (Read 6628 times)

MrsMopp

I'm glad it's working for you.

I've just been given Evorel25 today by my very reluctant young female GP ::)

I'm not sure whether to start it now or wait until the end of May as I am going to Italy in a month's time and reading the list of side effects was a bit offputting!

Taz2

Hi Mrs Mopp. Have you still got your womb or have you also been given a progesterone to use with the Evorel. I'm on Evorel 25 but have had a hysterectomy so don't need anything else. The 25 is a low dose but I find it keeps the hot flushes at bay. I'm 61.

Try not to worry about the side effects - they have to put down everything so that they don't get sued! If you do get any side effects these usually settle within the first three months and, if not, then there are others for you to try.

Taz x

MrsMopp

She gave me nothing else - she said that the Evorel contained progesterone - I've just read the leaflet and as you have pointed out - it doesn't.

I didn't think she knew much about it  :(  She established that I still have my womb at least twice.

I'll ring the surgery in the morning.  She actually looked it up in her medical book and showed me what it contained - noris- something or other which she said was the progesterone.

peegeetip

Hi MrsMopp

the doc is just another of the many who really have not got this covered for us.

As others have said the options for Evorel she showed you was either sequi or conti (for peri or post meno).

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

What you've got is a low dose estrogen only Evorel.
This is wrong and your doc should be apologizing profusely.
Think whether or not you want to complain but make sure its after you get the new prescription first.

I think some of this comes out of the reluctance to prescribe, this diverts the docs attention away from what they are giving you.

You can try what you've got until you get a new prescription btw.
As long as you get Evorel Sequi or Conti soon then you'll be fine.
Sequi (your still having periods up to a year apart)
Conti (your at the point where you have no period for 1 year or have been on the sequi for 1 year)

In the meantime phone them and ask for correct prescription and don't worry.
:-*

Taz2

Is it three years since your last period? If so then you should have been given Evorel conti. If you find that this gives you pmt type symptoms and it doesn't settle after the three month initial period then you could always try the other conti patch which is called FemSeven. The progesterone in that one seems to cause less pmt type symptoms although the patches don't always stick as well as the Evorel ones.

Good luck with the doc! I was given the wrong ones once by my doc even though she knows lots about menopause. She was horrified that she'd prescribed the wrong one. I hope yours is suitably apologetic. Maybe she'd like to have a read of this site to increase her knowledge!!

Taz x

Limpy

She gave me nothing else - she said that the Evorel contained progesterone - I've just read the leaflet and as you have pointed out - it doesn't.

I didn't think she knew much about it  :(  She established that I still have my womb at least twice.

I'll ring the surgery in the morning.  She actually looked it up in her medical book and showed me what it contained - noris- something or other which she said was the progesterone.

When I first got Evorel it was the non progesterone one. I was a bit surprised and queried it on here and was told I should have something with progesterone. When I next saw GP, the explanation was "Ooo I misclicked - thought it was the one with progesterone" Fair enough  ::)

MrsMopp

She knew I needed progesterone - she mentioned it several times, looked it up in the drug book, established that it contained Noristherone (sp?) then prescribed.  Quite what happened after that I do not know.

Having googled Evorel conti I can see that it does contain Noristherone - she must have thought that was what she was prescribing for me.  It makes me wonder how often mistakes like this occur.

I've not had a period for over 3 years so should definitely be on this one.  Thanks for the info re the other option Taz - I wonder why that wasn't prescribed instead if it causes less problems.  Is it more expensive?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 07:49:58 PM by MrsMopp »

Taz2

I'm not sure on the cost of Evorel or FemSeven. It may be the first one she came across!!

Taz x  :D

MrsMopp

ha!  ;D yes, you may be right there Taz
Pages: 1 [2]