Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Blood Pressure  (Read 3076 times)

toffeecushion

Blood Pressure
« on: March 22, 2015, 07:20:36 AM »

I've been feeling a little stressed lately and took my blood pressure and it was the higher end of normal.  After deep breathing it lowers, does that mean that it is the stress causing it to raise?

Joyce

Re: Blood Pressure
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 08:38:09 AM »

Sounds like it. I suffer with white coat syndrome, so goes up at GPs. Hubby's is stress related too. When he gets chance to relax his BP is fine.

My GP had me taking mine at 3 different times of the day for a week, then taking an average. Maybe try that.

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 11:54:18 AM »

OH checks his BP regularly, he has found it is often higher in the mornings. A friend of ours in New Zealand has had BP issues, she too found it was higher first thing in the morning.

I had a well woman check a couple of months ago, this included a BP check just after the smear test was done  ???      It actually came out normal, the nurse was impressed, usually BPs are a bit up after smears, can't think why......   ::)

Suzyq

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 02:03:10 PM »

Blood pressure rises and falls - that is normal. So long as you are having some normal readings there is no reason to panic! I also have white coat syndrome and rarely get a normal reading at the doctors - nor do they ever take it correctly (after 10 minutes of sitting quietly without talking with feet on the floor and 2 readings with first disregarded!) when I check at home it is usually low to normal so I record these readings and check my machine with them. Try not to panic over an occasional 'high' reading

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 04:59:39 PM »

DH used to take his every morning before breakfast.  He has white coat syndrome  ::)

toffeecushion

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 05:20:57 PM »

It's been lower today - hoping it is just stress.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 05:23:23 PM »

Many things can cause BP to rise and fall. 

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 06:06:20 PM »

You'll be fine I'm sure. It's when it's high all day every day. My daughter works on a stroke ward & says the BP of some would scare you & many are in their 30s!

toffeecushion

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 06:09:47 PM »

I do worry about my blood pressure as I am very overweight.  Time to diet I think :)

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 06:29:50 PM »

I'm overweight too. It's not just dieting which helps BP, exercise works wonders too. Walking, swimming - doesn't have to be gym based.

toffeecushion

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 06:45:37 PM »

Yes, I went out for a walk today - hope I can keep it up.