Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cutting down on sugar in our diet  (Read 6049 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Cutting down on sugar in our diet
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 09:25:36 PM »

OOOHHH   :-X I couldn't eat a grapefruit without sugar  ;D ………

today I began with 1 chocolate croissant, blackT, 2 sugars
out into the garden, working
cuppa mid morning by the pond
half a bread roll with a slab of cold beef and mustard
rested by the pond before more gardening
mid-afternoon - can't remember  :-\
curried chicken legs with home made chutney and curried potato wedges
cuppa
on here  ::)

nelliedee

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 06:17:30 AM »

I read, somewhere, that Bananas can trigger migraine so I have stopped eating them, chocolate and coffee. Its been a month and I haven't had a migraine so I shall start reintroducing one at a time to see if in fact they were the triggers. I have replaced them with grapes, mango (yum), kiwi and apples x

rosebud57

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 07:46:56 AM »

CLKD, try pink grapefruit.  They are sweeter so you need  much less sugar added. :)

Dorothy

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 08:49:35 AM »

I think people's taste buds are changing as they get used to a high sugar diet.  I've never added sugar to tea or coffee and only occasionally have cake or biscuits if I am meeting friends for coffee.  My sugar comes from fruit - raw cooking apples at the moment, so you can see I don't have a very sweet tooth  :o

I can't bear processed food as it tastes really sugary, and I've noticed lots of recipes now tell you to add a spoonful of sugar to savoury meals, especially those containing beef.  Yuk!  I NEVER add sugar to a savoury recipe, and usually cut the sugar by half to a third in sweet recipes as otherwise it is too sweet for me.  I also have huge trouble finding fruit juices I can drink as they are either too sweet naturally (e.g. apple) or would be ok on their own but have sugar added (mango, cherry etc).  The only fruit juice I can drink now is pomegreat as everything else tastes too sweet.

I have a friend who used to eat lots of processed foods.  She came for dinner and I made a fruit crumble which tasted fine to me.  She asked for more sugar and added 3 heaped tablespoons to her portion before she could eat it.  :-\  Interestingly, since she has had children, she has become very health-conscious and cooks from scratch.  I've noticed that even her sweet treats are less sweet now, as her taste buds have got used to less sugar, and she looks much healthier too.

GeordieGirl

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 06:20:07 PM »

We've recently had mice in our garage and they've been helping themselves to food I'd taken out of the  campervan. Pasta, some dried fruit, dog biscuits. They've left marshmallows untouched - obviously recognising they have absolutely no nutritional value at all but are just chemicals.

I've cut sugar out a hell of a lot over the last year and apart from a sneaky Waitrose cheesecake on a weekend and breakfast Shreddies, we rarely eat anything processed at all. It's much more fun cooking from scratch and tastes far more wholesome - and our tastes have changed alongside it too. Even the kids have stopped putting sugar on Shreddies.

Nutrition is so key to our health and it's so sad to see levels of obesity rise in children, often due to a diet of fast food and ready meals.

GG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2015, 08:44:44 PM »

As noted in that programme where the family are going through the ages from the 1940s, it's been a eye opener!

I have dropped the toast for breakfast and now eat 'Lizis' granola with a small amount of added sugar, milk and cream mixed.  Cuppa, bl x 2 sugars.  I no longer need a bun mid-morning  :o ...........

GeordieGirl

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2015, 09:13:43 PM »

As noted in that programme where the family are going through the ages from the 1940s, it's been a eye opener!

Which programme is that CLKD?  It was reported in the news the other day that our life expectancies are now starting to fall back for the first time in decades - sedentary life styles and bad diets starting to have an impact.

GG x
Pages: 1 [2]