Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Can I just ask the nurse for HRT?  (Read 5911 times)

cyclinggeek

Can I just ask the nurse for HRT?
« on: March 15, 2015, 05:58:23 PM »

I new to all of this and would like to ask a rather simple question.

I'm 50 and mostly follow a policy of health problem denial which I find is the best way to keep me sane. 

However it's recently dawned on me that I'm experiencing some symptoms which are defiantly menopause namely hot flushes, sleeping problems with night sweats and um, dryness.

I've read up on all the stuff here and elsewhere and think that I would really like to try HRT because the risking seem worth it balance against my quality of life in the short to medium term.

I've been trying to get an appointment at the GPs but the first was going to be in April  >:( so I opted for an appointment with the nurse practitioner in 10 days.  But know I'm worrying that I will be wasting my time an she's just say I need to back of the queue waiting for a GP appointment.

What do you reckon?  Do I need to see a GP as a 1st timer?

Thanks for any views on this.

littleminnie

Re: Can I just ask the nurse for HRT?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 06:09:01 PM »

I would have thought that only the GP has prescribe them. Why don't you make the GP appointment anyway and cancel it if you get the HRT off the nurse.

dazned

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 06:19:07 PM »

Hello and welcome :welcomemm:

I too would make the appointment with you doctor then you can always cancel  as litteminnie says . Good luck with getting your symptoms sorted out sooner rather than later.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 06:22:03 PM »

In our GP practise the Nurse Practitioner can do prescriptions. She may be the best one to talk to first anyway.
Do write out your symptoms and any questions so you go in really prepared.  Maybe print out stuff from this site. You may get the 'talk' about trying diet and exercise first and come back if this doesn't work or you may be offered anti depressants which shouldn't be the first line of treatment anyway.  You have obviously thought about this so go into the appointment being very positive about the option of trying HRT to see if it helps.
If she will give you HRT then I'd try a low dose Femoston sequi first as this one has a kinder progesterone so is tolerated well by many women.  Sometimes they offer the cheapest HRT preparations and they tend to have the synthetic progesterones which can be fine for some women but can also give more PMT type symptoms for many of us.
Good luck  DG x.

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 07:10:14 PM »

I'd be interested to know what response you get. I enquired at my practice about  seeing a nurse instead of a male GP. Fairly sure that i was told that the nurse wouldn't be able to prescribe.

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 07:53:37 PM »

The nurses in our practice are good but they can not prescribe.

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 08:00:05 AM »

We don't have any Nurse Practioners in our practice which is a shame. There is a lot of confusion between the term Practice Nurse and Nurse Practioner I think. This is the definition

"A nurse practitioner is very different from a practice nurse. The practice nurse is the person who provides nursing care such as dressings, immunisations, travel advice and cervical smears. In contrast, a nurse practitioner's daily clinical work comprises the examination, diagnosis and prescription treatment of common medical problems such as chest pain, breathing problems, high blood pressure, coughs, feverish illnesses, ear, nose and throat conditions, abdominal problems, joint and bone problems, infections, tiredness, breast lumps, gynaecological problems, and skin problem"

I'd make the appointment with your GP, as others have said, Cyclinggeek and you can then cancel it if the nurse can't prescribe.

Taz x  :welcomemm: