Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Being pinned on Saturday  (Read 2734 times)

Rhubarb

Being pinned on Saturday
« on: March 07, 2015, 03:02:48 AM »

I am becoming a member of the National Society of Daughters of the British Empire, an American philanthropic organization of women of British or Commonwealth birth or ancestry. Having been a stay-at-home mom for the past 23 years, this is exciting for me. I love my family but haven't done or joined anything on my own in a long time! So I'm travelling to the state meeting of the DBE tomorrow (Saturday) to be pinned. Looking forward to a fun day  :)

Dancinggirl

Re: Being pinned on Saturday
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 08:58:21 AM »

Sounds great.  Have a good time and let us know how it goes.  DGx

rosebud57

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 02:26:35 PM »

Sounds really interesting Rhubarb.

Have you done any family history research to trace your British ancestry???

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 04:32:37 PM »

Oh how exciting!  Do you have to Swear an Oath or quote from Shakespeare  :-\  ::)

Rhubarb

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 02:41:52 AM »

I did have to swear an oath, to uphold the objectives of charity and to foster an understanding of British and Commonwealth cultures and traditions. Quoting Shakespeare would have been fun and entertaining though!

I have done some family history research, with a lot of help from other family members. Three of my great great grandparents moved to America from England in the 1800's.  They were from Lincolnshire, Cornwall and London. I know the most about the one from Lincolnshire, we've kept in contact with that part of the family over the years, visited them and found graves of some ancestors. I have a strong sense of being "at home" in Lincolnshire when I've visited there, I must feel a connection to my ancestors there, but we have some really good friends who live there too.

It was a very nice day.  Met some more wonderful ladies of the DBE, had a delicious lunch, and learned about what the goals are for the year ahead.  And my family managed to survive 10 hours at home on a Saturday without me :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 01:28:23 PM »

survived for 10 hours - probably the best part of your day  ;D

are you due a visit to the UK soon?