Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Anxiety and depression after surgery  (Read 4728 times)

Sarai

Anxiety and depression after surgery
« on: February 06, 2015, 07:15:31 PM »

I have written of my 3 month journey after mamo found calcification. Upshot is I got the all clear. But the surgery left me traumatised, I had a bad general anaesthetic reaction, then chest infection, waited 10 more days for results. I'm now depressed, anxious suffering palpitations and cancer terror.
I am anti depressants and started propranolol again. I hear an odd humming in my head especially in bed, have to move my head to stop it. Panicking like hell now. I'm already a tinnitus sufferer but this is new. Well actually it did happen once before 5 years ago when I was depressed.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anxiety and depression after surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 07:18:56 PM »

You are reacting to the stress pre-op., the surgical intervention, Hospital time: the long wait for results - far TOO LONG!  :bang: ……. GA can make people depressed: I remember all the patients coming back from theatre sobbing, it really did depend on the anaesthetist  ::) ……. What dosage of ADs are you taking, maybe you require a hike in dosage? 

When do you see the Surgeon again?  Perhaps discuss the results with your GP?

Sarai

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 09:36:25 AM »

My GP tried to get me to put up my antidepressants but I have resisted as I felt pretty shaky already and putting them up will me me worse. I have seen the surgeon waited 10 long days for a 2 minute appointment where I was told ' oh yes it's all fine, normal tissue. Bye bye. No follow ups. Nothing. I should be over the moon instead I'm just depressed and getting panic attacks again.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 05:06:42 PM »

Anything can cause a patient to react following surgery.  I didn't know the Surgeon nor anaesthetise when I had my appendix removed in 1991 - but I was already drugged via a drip and nicely sedated  ::).  However, following removal of wisdom teeth in 1981 I was quite shocked due to pain ……… before and after surgery.  I looked as though I had gone half a round with Mike Tyson and I hadn't come out well!

Be kind to you.  Keep a journal.  Jot it down.  It gets it out of your system!  If your Surgeon doesn't want to see you again then that is a positive. 

Maybe as suggested, an anti-anxiety drug for 4-6 months will ease some of the symptoms.

Sarai

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 06:50:00 PM »

We weren't given anything pre op to calm us, only anti sickness and painkiller. They said it would take us longer to be ready to go home if they did. We were all meant to wake up, eat toast and tea and go. I could barely open one eye for hours. I could not even sit up, 6 hours later. I had to be kept in as by 8.30 when the day ward shut I was still bed bound.
I am so sad to have been left like this depressed, anxiety, obsessive and a hypochondriac too. Plus I'd gone 9 weeks period free, had hot flushes, no boob pain. But now I've gad a period, period pain and boob pain and massive mood swings. I feel completely wrecked and it will be 4 weeks on Saturday, I thought I would be ok now.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 07:03:30 PM »

I don't listen to anyone who tells me that I have to leave within a certain time ……. it takes me hours to wake up properly  ::) ……… I think that this adds to the stress.  Nor do I go to theatre without a pre-med! or I wouldn't get there.

I think you need to talk to your GP again.  You have had a traumatic time - would it help to have a chat  with the Surgeon?

Sarai

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 07:36:42 PM »

I have seen the GP he was so nice. Considering upping my antidepressants but I've treatment for a new ear noise which is stressing no end. Trying antibiotics trouble is the humming has destroyed my sleep pattern.
I have agreed to counselling as I have so much junk going on.
I did see the surgeon who is a nice kind lady, but I was no longer relevant as I was being given the all clear. I suddenly felt like I didn't matter. I just wish they hadn't made me wait 10 days to tell me when they knew much sooner.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 07:58:24 PM »

How did they know sooner? 

Tinnitus can be a nuisance.  My R ear has been blocked each morning …. it needs a Very Good Wriggle until I can hear again  ::) - what treatment have you been given?

Sarai

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 08:02:54 PM »

They told me it's simpler to tell everybody in clinic even if news is good earlier. I met a girl I was with on surgery day and she had been called the previous week about her lymph node results by the breast nurse.
My new tinnitus is a very very low hum, driving mad in bed. Like a vibrating. I'm hoping its fluid. So have antibiotics and nasal spray.

nelliedee

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 06:22:03 AM »

Try having a fan running next to your bed, it will drown out the noise xx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 03:14:17 PM »

ABs won't stop tinnitus.  Did the problem clear?  If I squash my ear on the pillow the noise is louder …….

Sarai

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 02:00:52 PM »

I know antibiotics wont clear tinnitus. Its just doc saw fluid behind the drum so the anti b's were to try clear that. The noise is a bit quieter, but still there.
I am just a complete wreck right now. My vitamin d is very low and I am very weak and shaky, but cant get docs to agree weakness and shakiness is part of low vitamin d. They want me to up antidepressants and have councelling. Trouble is my period is one from hell right now and I thought they stopped.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2015, 04:12:58 PM »

Are you keeping a food/mood diary?  If you feel ADs aren't for you, then ask to be referred to a Dietician.  You may need 'more' in your diet to counteract your symptoms.  I find that the feeling of low blood sugar = body hungry  ::) so eating before feeling hungry is important!

Sarai

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2015, 04:58:36 PM »

I can't come off antidepressants, tried it once, bad idea. I just don't want to put them up. I'm not keeping note of food. I'm completely off food and having to force it in. Guess my portions are too small so blood sugar falling. But I also feel my hormones have just gone crazy. The only way to not shake is to lie very still.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2015, 05:18:47 PM »

Keep that diary  ;)

Eat more often - how about some of those shake drinks …… milk shakes, bananas - slow release foods before you are hungry.  I got so obsessed with meal times that I would shake, knowing that I HAD to eat at certain times ……. as an anorexic it was very hard to face food  :'(