Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Diazepam  (Read 13664 times)

Mrs Bennet

Diazepam
« on: February 23, 2015, 05:53:03 PM »

Hi Girls, was just wondering if anyone has taken Diazepam 2mg for anxiety?  my doc has prescribed this for me today as I am going away for a few days & have been suffering with anxiety & panic for quite sometime now ( have posted before) I feel unable to relax as I am always worried about needing the loo when I go out anywhere  :(  I am reading Dr Claire Weekes book  & listening to some of her audio stuff....this is helping..... I have been unable to take ADs as they all upset my stomach thus increasing the anx 10 fold. I have only been given 12 tabs.....I do realise this is not a long term solution but was thinking it may just break the cycle of fight or flight panic which I have.....any help would be gratefully received xxxxx

dazned

Re: Diazepam
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 06:22:58 PM »

I take diazepam ,prescribed by the Dr,I only use it as and when and find it helps enormously! It is great for short term use as it takes about 30 mins to work. Once it gets the anxiety under control you should be more in control. I always keep some on hand and find that if I take one 2 mg in morning and one at night for a couple of days things calm down. I know it can be addictive but I have never had a problem stopping and starting it as let my as you treat it with a little respect. Hope this puts your mind at rest.

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 07:03:39 PM »

Ah thank you so much dazned.....I will fill the script & take one before my journey & see how I go. I think I may even feel calmer knowing there is a swift remedy at hand even if I do not have to take it  xxxx

pj44

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »

i could of written dazned post as i am exactly the same. I will just add ghat when i started with panic attacks and anxiety over 27 years ago. I would not take the diazipam it took over 20 years before i did i truely regret that it took that long. As it really does help. I now rarely take it. I really think if i had took it when it was given to me i might not of wasted my life in fear.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 07:07:36 PM »

YEP! took it for many years on an as-necessary basis at 5mg x 3 if necessary.  I used to take it the night before an Event to stop any early morning surges, and if necessary another at breakfast.  Anything to stop that awful feeling and because I knew they worked, I didn't need to rely on them daily.

Mrs Bennett - take 1 the night before and 1 mid-morning  ;) - rather than relying on the fact that you had them to hand.  That way ……. you won't get addicted because this has been prescribed for a specific purpose.

Enjoy your trip - once you are home you will know if you did or not  ;)

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 07:22:14 PM »

Thank you all so much for your pearls : )........I feel so relieved to know others have been a little reticent in taking this particular med, you tend to hear/read all the bad reports....I will do as you say CLKD & take one the night before & one later on the following day ( will I be awake on the journey  ;D )  only going to Cornwall so can doze in the car.....what a treat that would be
I will post again on Tuesday next week with my report  :) xxxxxx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 07:30:05 PM »

You relax as much as you are able to!  I was desperate so my GP gave me Valium in the 1990s, other meds I was worried about taking but hey ho! I worked out a regime that helped me to survive.

Take it about half an hour before you go to bed in case it makes you drop off  ;) ………

Look forwards to the update!  'only' is a word which is OK when we feel OK!  As long as *you* aren't driving to Cornwall  :o

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 07:33:32 PM »

Yep....I have them too. Sometimes it's just to know they are an option. Mostly they sit in my bedside drawer and are very rarely taken.
However I think they have a good effect. I have never taken more than two in a day and mine are 2mg. I will then go months before I take anymore.

If they help then great .....but they are highly addictive, so much so I'm scared of them so keep them for when I need to go somewhere that there is no choice and I know that if I didn't take one I would never make it. I was prescribed 12 last November.....I have ten left.

Treat them with respect and you will do fine.

Honeyb
X

bramble

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 08:00:51 PM »

Ok - here is the horror story. I was given them when I first started with anxiety. Over the space of a couple of months I was up to I think about 20mgs a day - all under the control of my doctor. Got a different doctor one day who refused to prescribe - stopped cold turkey and my body went straight into muscular spasms. Was crying for days with the pain. Took 2 appts with the same doctor over 7-10 days before he agreed with me that it was withdrawal symptoms  and allowed me to go back on and cut down slowly over 4-8 weeks. As soon as I took them again the pain started to go away. It was a horrific time. Never touched them since. One every now and then is fine - on a regular basis no no no.

Bramble

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 08:02:56 PM »

Totally agree bramble.....I think being scared of them is a good place to start. I like the way they unknot all the knots but take regularly....nope no way.

Honeyb
X

dazned

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 08:37:42 PM »

I too only take them occasionally ,but as I know they work fast it's like a security blanket to know they are there and that's half the battle you will be fine Mrs Bennett on 2 mg once or twice a day ,if it's a really bad spell you are having don't be afraid to use them for a few days your body will tell you when you don't need them and that you can once again get it all under control ,just be aware not to use continuously for days on end . Most gp only prescribe 14 at a time and I to still have 4 left from script beg. November. Have a great time x

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 08:45:53 PM »

Yep - my head went all whoozy ……….. so after a couple of 'goes' I stopped ……… my body was 'telling' me ……… Valium is used successfully as pain relief as it reduces spasm as well as a pre-med  ;)

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 10:50:01 PM »

Thank you everyone......I will treat them with respect I promise  :) so glad to have had your advice it has really helped....will let you know how I get on xxxxxx

Rhubarb

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 03:04:20 AM »

I found this interesting because my daughter was recently prescribed a similar drug for her epilepsy, another benzodiazepine.  After a lot of research we decided it was not a drug to be taken daily for seizures, much better used occasionally for anxiety. So I agree with everyone who says you'll be fine as long as you don't take on a regular basis. My friend took a low dose anxiety med for a while during perimenopause and did quite well :)

Suzi Q

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 05:14:27 AM »

Ive been taking Lexoton 6mg for almost 30 years
Take no more now than I did then.
Son takes Anxiety meds and will for life.
Im OK so is son.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4