Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Alternatives to HRT – what have you tried? Did it work? Questions?  (Read 46296 times)

honeybun

I did too rosebud.

Such a shame because this topic will eventually get lost as all others inevitably do. Then we go back to square one. I even asked Emma if she could re open the request topic as she did say she was closing it down for the weekend.....that was quite a while ago.

There was such a lot of support.....I wish our opinions were taken a bit more in to account.

It's the members as well as the great information from Dr Currie that make the forum a special place.
I don't think MM would be the same without the very active forum.

Disappointing not even to be acknowledged.

Honeybun
X

BrightLight

Honeybun, thanks for mentioning this (the request for a dedicated section) I had wondered if there was any response.  There are plenty of women that can give guidance on responsible use of alternative therapies and treatments during perimenopause and beyond and there are sections on the website that encompass this, that's why I don't really understand why there isn't a full acknowledgement in this forum of this area of choice for women.  Hmmm

Thanks for asking the question to the website team.

BrightLight

I just wanted to write a little bit about my approach to health and hopefully share information that would be useful to women who try alternative routes.

I practise the philosophy of effecting minimal change in the body.  By that I mean, only doing as much as is necessary to allow the body to find it's own balance again, for it to heal.  The reason is because I respect the body is a complicated system and often times will demonstrate 'symptoms' that can resolve, given time and gentle support. When given 'too much' support it could result in apparently unconnected problems later, for instance, some people get stomach problems from using painkillers. Of course it isn't always possible or wise to continue 'suffering' - I am just suggesting taking a pause and considering a gentler approach first.

In a complex health problem I would always first choose a complementary therapy over conventional pharmaceuticals and attempt to effect minimal change.  This can take longer than a pharmaceutical solution.  All complementary medicine approaches take longer, herbs, accupuncture etc all need a while to effect a lasting change.

If a lasting change or pattern of coming and going of symptoms can't be achieved, then I would turn to pharmaceutical management.  For me, it isn't an either or situation. I believe there isn't enough information out there for women on how to access and use complementary medicine safely and effectively and not enough respect for the part it can and does play in peoples lives.

Used with guidance, care and sensibility, I really do feel there is a big place for "first line" use of complementary medicine in supporting the menopause.  It's an ideal solution to low level chronic problems - that is why there has been research and approval from the NHS for the use of things like accupuncture for sufferers of chronic headaches.  Chronic problems cost the NHS a lot of money and complementary medicine can provide a solution for patients.

So, if you are trying anything 'natural' try and give it some time, find a practitioner of your chosen route that can support you while you get better, give you the guidance and confidence you need to support your own health.  Every modality has a national register of qualified people, take your time to choose one that suits you.  If you are buying remedies from a high street shop look for the THR symbol, which means the product has been assessed against quality standards, and you'll have information about how and when to use it.

If you only choose a registered practitioner and buy with the THR symbol you are choosing responsibly and can expect to be supported if you encounter any problems.

I have worked within complementary medicine as a Shiatsu practitioner for 15 years and received treatment and support for my health for from highly qualified individuals who also embrace conventional medicine and would always suggest using it in conjunction with complementary treatments if necessary.  I hope this information is of benefit to some.

honeybun

Great post Brightlight. Thank you, I really like your reasoning.

Also thank you for your support for a dedicated section. It's just a pity no one seems to be listening.

Honeybun
X

thorntrees

A very interesting and reasoned  post Brightlight.
I'm sorry too Honeybun that it has not been possible to set up a dedicated thread for Alternative routes. As you say replies will get lost amongst other posts and when people have posted before about alternative approaches it often seems to turn into a discussion about how nothing really works but HRT, which is not very helpful to those who for various reasons HRT is not an option.Thank you for trying anyway.

Thorntrees

Dorothy

My GP is not remotely helpful, and I don't think there is any possibility of me having HRT until I move to a new area, so I don't have any choice but to look at alternatives at the moment.  This topic is being very helpful as apart from this forum, I am very much having to deal with this on my own and without anything prescribed by a doctor.

purplenanny

What could possibly be the problem HB, why do you think Emma is not responding to the request? It is such a good idea, as agreed by many
PN x x

honeybun

I really don't know PN. All the response I have had was a very short message to say that she was too busy  :-\ and that I'm afraid was that.

Bit hesitant to start yet another topic about it as I was only trying to help and not cause any upset.

Think I have been patted on the head  :(

Honey
X

purplenanny

Not nice when you are only trying to help. We appreciate you trying x x

Hurdity

For those who have been unfortunate enough to have breast cancer and are suffering from hot flushes, and need to find other ways of coping with them than HRT, as well as pharmaceutical drugs (?SSRIs) etc, there was a study done a while back which looked at the effect of exercise and cognitive behavioural therapy on the perception of menopausal symptoms.

I seem to remember it was publicised on here but members who are unable to take HRT might like to be reminded of this reported here:

http://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/20121013

I am sure the full study is available somewhere but here is the abstract:
http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/early/2012/10/03/JCO.2012.41.8525?papetoc

Hurdity x  :)

Ju Ju

Bright light, excuse my ignorance but what is shiatsu?

honeybun

Wouldn't that post be helpful in a dedicated topic  Hundity ....then it wouldn't get lost.

Ju Ju

noun
a form of therapy of Japanese origin based on the same principles as acupuncture, in which pressure is applied to certain points on the body using the hands.

Honeybun
X

BrightLight

Thanks all that enjoyed my post.

Dorothy - sorry that you haven't yet found the support you need.

Ju Ju - Honeybun has explained Shiatsu, it's similar to accupuncture without the needles, it aims to maintain and promote health through balancing the meridian energy pathways in the body.  Within conventional medicine arenas it  has been used to great benefit in palliative care and the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.  I would say Accupuncture is better for acute situations, like backaches, headaches and can really move these along, in my experiences, both Accupuncture and Shiatsu are great at working with chronic, low level issues.  Accupuncture us extensively used in the world of fertility, menopause as well. Shiatsu is less recognised, though it's principle is similar.

Dulciana

Can anyone suggest a supplement that doesn't contain iso-soy-whatsits (estrogen mimics) but that still helps with mood, anxiety, stress, tearfulness etc.?  Thanks.

Hurdity

I'm not an expert Dulciana but I understand that St John's Wort is helpful for depression. It is mentioned in this leaflet I linked to earlier.

https://www.rcog.org.uk/globalassets/documents/patients/patient-information-leaflets/gynaecology/pi-alternatives-to-hormone-replacement-therapy-for-symptoms-of-the-menopause.pdf

Look under "Treatments that work and are safe"

I would also have thought that any relaxing/calming therapy would be helpful, together with some of the mindfulness techniques & CBT that members have been disucssing recently?

Hurdity x  :)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7