Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Request to Moderator for a dedicated Alternatives Topic  (Read 33731 times)

honeybun

Request to Moderator for a dedicated Alternatives Topic
« on: February 18, 2015, 05:13:33 PM »

Given the fact that alternative thoughts and opinions seem to cause discord on the forum it would be really helpful to have a dedicated topic.

We have This and That....All things Menopause.....so

How many ladies would like to have a dedicated Alternatives section.

Could we have supportive posts please as if it's not your thing then it would have no impact as you could just avoid.

It could cover all sorts .....including supplements, herbal etc.

I am on HRT myself but have a real interest in natural ways too for all sorts.

It would make members, who have more of an interest in this side of things, feel more confident in posting questions.

I think it would bring something really positive to the forum.

Show of hands ladies.....then we can approach Dr Currie if we have enough support for this.

Honeyb
X

honorsmum

Re: Request to Moderator for a dedicated Alternatives Topic
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 05:22:52 PM »

I think a dedicated board for alternative approaches would be great - count me in.

ariadne

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 05:27:37 PM »

I would certainly read it. Everything is worth a try surely. "Dont knock it till youve tried it"   

Im sorry Silverlady has gone as I enjoyed her posts and found them uplifting and refreshing.

Ariadne xx

rosebud57

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 05:29:05 PM »

Thumbs up.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 05:49:14 PM »

Good idea, thumbs up from me too. Those wishing to go down the alternative route would be able to give each other support.  Different treatments suit different people.

dazned

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 05:50:09 PM »

I would support that. I take hrt but can't see anything wrong with information on alternative/ herbal remedies.

I'm so desperate whilst changing regimes anything would do !  ;D

Only proviso being some of these alternative shouldn't be mixed in with hrt, so anyone New to this scary phase in their lives need to be made aware of this incase things are made worse ! Just a thought x

kerrieann

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 05:55:54 PM »

good idea its all about choices  :)

BrightLight

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 06:00:00 PM »

I support this idea as well.  There is a lot of information on the main website that explains all the precautions and options for alternative remedies, members could be directed there to gather guidance as well as reading personal experiences here on the forum.

I think some things are very complementary to HRT and also for the future, beyond menopause and HRT.  Complementary medicine and approaches to health are for the long haul - perhaps that's why they don't seem to 'work' for some people, they take longer to have an effect and I'm sure it's accumulative.  I would happily share my knowledge if it was understood in this way and not as an 'alternative' to HRT, just as a lifestyle choice really.  I would also value experience from other people as to how they slotted menopause into their existing 'alternative' health lifestyles.

Thanks for the suggestion Honeybun

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 06:14:12 PM »

Seems a really good way to find out about ladies experiences with Alternatives

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 06:24:34 PM »

A thread could be added to the already present 'alternative' section ……. remember though, that if alternative therapy 'worked' consistently then it would be available on the NHS or via UK Private Clinics/Consultants.

'natural' is not always healthy  ;) i.e. foxgloves ……… cyanide …… arsenic - all natural but not good to take!

Also, Companies that push alternatives but also sell products via the internet should be avoided, for safety reasons.  Sometimes even synthesised products are not regulated so they don't come out 'the same' each time.

Far better to buy from Pharmacists with advice.  Nothing wrong with the placebo effect either  ;)

My own experience MANY years ago was with a GP who had studied herbal medicine in China who I paid to visit about 4 times.  He was very calm, seemed knowledgeable and what he told me 'made sense' at the time.  However, it was the 'do not drink coffee' and 'do not eat anything with peppermint in it' that worried us ……… particularly as he was unable to tell us why not ……….
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 06:28:01 PM by CLKD »

littleminnie

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 06:25:59 PM »

I'm on HRT but when I come off it I may need alternatives, count me in.

BrightLight

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 06:35:16 PM »

CLKD some therapies are available on the NHS and suggested by GP's.  There are plenty of checks people can do to find reputable therapists and nutritional/herbal medicine practitioners, but people do need to be aware of how to do this and it's something I would appreciate sharing and reading about.

There is a huge misunderstanding about 'natural' medicine being safe, I agree with you that herbs need to be respected as they can have powerful effects if not used correctly.  That isn't a reason to discount them, just as the safety issues around medicine don't stop people using them.

Many alternative treatments are not in the NHS system purely because there isn't enough research and standardisation for GP's to prescribe.  People react differently to pharmaceuticals and they react differently to herbs and complementary therapies, the only difference in my mind is that being under the NHS umbrella gives a sense of security and confidence in using a medicine, which I completely understand.

There are definately ways to support the menopause in a wholistic way that don't even include herbs - access to mindfullness relaxation, positive thinking, food, diet, haircare, skincare, all sorts of things that address the ongoing changes in our bodies, that will continue long term.

I think it's a really positive and exciting way to view things :)

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 06:39:32 PM »

'standardisation' is a really good word  :thank you:

Did anyone have a 'witch' in their village  ;) ….. we did, I used to creep past her bungalow as fast as possible  :D

BrightLight

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 06:46:54 PM »

Cheeky :)   No I didn't ;)

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 06:48:00 PM »

She was probably a childless person who 'knew' about herbs ……… Mum does mention her to this day  ::), she knew her has 'Granny' …. which was confusing because I knew my Granny didn't live there  :-\ ……….
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7