Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Joint RCOG/BMS statement - HRT and ovarian cancer risk  (Read 7665 times)

Dancinggirl

Joint RCOG/BMS statement - HRT and ovarian cancer risk
« on: February 12, 2015, 07:44:17 PM »

Edit by admin. Merged topics.
------------------------
Joint RCOG/BMS statement: Lancet study examines use of HRT and ovarian cancer risk.

See the news item on the news page
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/newsitem.php?recordID=158

End edit by admin.
------------------------

Oh dear, yet another scare! :-X  Why can't the media tell everyone about some of the benefits of HRT?  What about the research that shows HRT reduces the risk of bowel cancer? DG x
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:32:22 PM by Emma »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Joint RCOG/BMS statement
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 07:54:46 PM »

Why do the TV Companies try to be 'in vogue'?  Why not browse here and be more pro-active all the while?  :-\

Millykin

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 07:59:37 PM »

I'm glad you mentioned another scare DG I really think that's the last thing people need. Oh dear x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 08:11:54 PM »

Oh for heavens sake. Here we go again. First it's bad , then it's good now it's bad again.

I am thoroughly sick of this kind of thing and I hope they don't get anyone to help them scaremonger  >:(

Honeyb
X

Dr. Heather Currie

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 08:20:13 PM »

We have a statement which will be posted on the news section of Menopause Matters and circulated through social media tomorrow. We have emphasised that there are significant benefits of HRT and this risk is very small, without proof of causation.
I really hope that this publication and media interest does not worry women unnecessarily, but I fear that it may.
Best wishes
Heather

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 08:33:15 PM »

Why oh why are women subjected to this. As if at our age we dont have enough to contend with. More scaremongering that no doubt GPs will wave in front of us.

We are the generation that ....a lot are in full time work, still managing and supporting children and have very elderly parents.

This is the last thing we need...

I'm glad that MM are putting the true facts out there but I fear it won't be heard.

Honeyb
X

Millykin

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 08:38:07 PM »

I think it will fear some women, most of us on here know that this change in life is scary, we don't know quite what is happening to us and are very fragile. For those who do choose HRT they have weighed up the pros and cons and will ignore these things but for the very fragile who also take HRT it will scare them and may well put them off altogether ruining a chance of feeling better. Just something else to add to some some peoples health anxiety. Just as well I'm in a very good place at the moment! X

HB you right x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 08:51:33 PM »

Thank you Dr. Currie for your reassuring post. I do wish they would ask you on these programmes so there would be a more balanced viewpoint.
Dg x

Galadriel

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 07:35:34 AM »

Wow. They are going to town on this. What a great way to add more anxiety at this time in our lives! We knew this already and the extra risk using hrt over just being female is still very small. It's a matter of balancing quality of life over risks.

Galadriel x

rosebud57

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 08:04:20 AM »

Was this about the recent research about the increased risk of ovarian cancer, for women on HRT for 5 years or more??

bev567901

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 09:45:37 AM »

My feelings are the same too. Quality of life v not using my patches is a no brainier. Harsh as it seems that's how bad things got. I just hope this doesn't put other ladies off taking HRT. Bee

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 11:40:02 AM »

My blood was boiling when I heard there was going to be this announcement today - I knew it would be alarmist and not be put forward in a truly balanced way. I'm sure the risk is no more than that with breast cancer and that is tiny. What about the risk of a women having a car accident when on antidepressants and not realising she is slightly sedated?  Do the GPs warn that your life insurance may no longer be valid if you are on ADs? I know they have to give us this information about HRt risks factors but it's another weapon for GPs to deny women the right to choose to have HRT as treatment for meno symptoms.
 :bang:  DG x
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:46:01 PM by Dancinggirl »

Hurdity

Re: Joint RCOG/BMS statement - HRT and ovarian cancer risk
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 01:16:17 PM »

To me the main problem with this sort of study is that it isn't a trial, and it combines many different studies. Crucially also there is no distinction between types of HRT whatsoever, as far as I can see - ie oral, transdermal, bio-identical, synthetic progestogens etc - the analysis just looks at HRT. Also what about other lifestyle factors?

It may turn out that there is a small increased risk though, so it's good to know, but as has been said this possible small increased risk needs to be weighed up against all the benefits.

What a pity that all women over 50 can't at least be given a regular scan to check uterus, and ovaries - just as we have regular mammograms, cervical smears, and bowel cancer tests. It's that Well Woman Clinic again!  :)

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 02:27:01 PM »

I listened to the professor involved in this study speaking on Radio 4 this morning. He quantified it like this. If 1000 women smoke then 500 will die from it and if 1000 women use HRT then 1 will develop ovarian cancer with HRT as the cause which, as he said, points is a very small risk but it is still something that women do need to be aware of.

Taz x

Millykin

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 02:49:43 PM »

I suppose they have announce any findings they have or else people would be up in arms if anything did happen to them. We take risks with everything we are given the facts and findings and it's our choice, eating, smoking , drinking, meds, driving, flying. It's just a shame that when it comes to HRT some people are easily frightened by new findings however small.
Pages: [1] 2