Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fuming!!!!  (Read 4102 times)

Shaon1978

Fuming!!!!
« on: February 11, 2015, 05:46:38 PM »

Hi everyone

Just an update from the docs appt I had tonight.

Feel likening getting somewhere he's referring me for a genetics test as there is breast cancer in the family.mso before he can decide on hrt he needs to check i don't have the gene.

But i am fuming as he looked back to my blood results in 2012 when I was missing periods and flushes, anyway I was post menopausal back then and it was missed......

I am absolutely fuming I have been feeling like crap for all this time and could of been diagnosed earlier so if my levels where that high in 2012 God knows how long I have been going through the menopause for sigh 😡

Taz2

Re: Fuming!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 05:56:34 PM »

Hi Shaon. It's good news that you have been referred for genetic testing. How many members of your family have had breast cancer?

When was your last period as you have to have been at least a year without a period to be post menopausal so maybe you weren't quite that far in 2012. Blood tests are often not that reliable when diagnosing which stage of meno we are at. My FSH levels were really high but I still went on to resume fairly regular periods for a further two years before then going onto HRT.

Hope you get a good result from the genetic test - do you know how long it will be?

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 05:57:06 PM »

Did you not ask for the blood resultls at the time?  :-\

Shaon1978

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 06:03:07 PM »

Taz my last period was beginning of August my levels in January were 87.2.

CLKD I known I should of asked but when you ring the go and they say they have come back normal u don't expect them to get it wrong I have got my current ones ha ha x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 06:05:07 PM »

'normal' can be a wide expression ……… thyroid function can come back within normal limits but the patient still feels ill  :-\

My Gynae won't do blood tests but will prescribe on symptoms!

Shaon1978

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 06:08:55 PM »

But they knew what they were testing for and my symptoms back in 2012 so u would think they would check the FSH levels like they have done this time aarrrgghhh

I am just pleased this doctor is sorting things out  :)

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 06:15:26 PM »

Mine was 128 Shaon but I still carried on having periods. I can see why you are upset but you are not post menopausal if your last period was in August. By "normal" it often means "normal for your age" so a high FSH level if you are in your late forties or fifties would be considered normal. That's how my GP explained it when I queried it.  It's really good that you are now being sorted out but it is a shame that you have had to wait a couple of years when you may have been able to have HRT sooner - if that's what you want of course.

Taz x

honorsmum

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 06:26:28 PM »

So does that mean you were perimenopausal in 2012?
I would be cross too, if so and you have been suffering the symptoms - you could have had the genetic testing and maybe started HRT back then, or at least known why you were feeling as you have been.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 06:40:03 PM »

We tend to justify how we are feeling though don't we and if told 'within normal limits' ………. when I was depressed I was unable to push for answers but now that I am more feisty!  ::) ……. and feel less vulnerable …….. let us know how you get on!

Shaon1978

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 07:02:16 PM »

I know honoursmum it's madness the doctor said my fsh levels in 2012 were pretty similar to my recent ones, I am confused with the peri menopause and post etc my head is battered lol, am just pleased it's getting sorted and hopefully might start to feel better x

CLKD I am sooo glad I went back for more information and advice it has made me feel a little better for now anyway

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 07:04:05 PM »

It is clear in your mind now.  You can now plan what you require in future!

Shaon1978

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 07:28:02 PM »

I know unless u push nobody tells you anything it's so frustrating isn't it, that's why I went back today felt the other doctor wasn't bothered

BrightLight

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 11:44:43 PM »

Not surprised you are feeling frustrated.  Crazy that they didn't explain to you in 2012 why you were having flushes and missing periods if they detected high FSH levels ???  Something has gone wrong in the system and I am sorry it has delayed things for you.

Regardless of FSH levels fluctuating they had clear information to answer your issues (?) In your situation I think it would be a fair to have expected them to work out what might be happening with your cycles so that you could treat your symptoms and be aware of your fertility status. 

Great that you feel you have someone on board now who can help you move forward. 

clio

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 05:18:32 AM »

Its can be very confusing, I started having symptoms at age 36, I was constantly going back to doctors who at first put me on the pill to give me the periods that had stopped! But they made my boobs sore so came off it. Back and to back and to for 3 years, blood test after blood test that always come back normal. The periods stopeed, hot flushes which I had to constantly go outside when at work as I felt I was going g to pass out, no sleep cos of the night sweats, and I turned into Satan, it was awful. Till one day my blood results had dropped below the line that triggered an abnormal reading.  At 39 I was put on hrt and feel kinda normal again. I think even if your readings are in what they call the normal bracket they should check if they are changing as everyone functions on different levels. 

I really hope you soon get sorted as I know just how our feel. Xx

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 08:23:37 PM »

My consultant generally disregards blood tests results and diagnoses primarily on a patient's symptoms, and previous history such as PMS or PND.

If you are suddenly riddled with anxiety and very low moods and random insomnia then something is very WRONG even if your blood tests come back as 'normal'.

Two female GPs disregarded my symptoms, never once mentioned peri menopause and just stuck me with ADs. Even when I explained about my history of PMS and PND and that every month I was still getting quite a lot of 'good' days and that I felt very good around ovulation.

Too many women suffer quietly just assuming that because they still have periods they can't be suffering from menopausal problems.

My poor Mum suffered terribly with sudden chronic anxiety and mood swings for over 4 years between the age of 39 and 43. She calls those 4 years 'my Hell years'. It was only when she had to have a full hysterectomy due to fibroids at 43, and was put on HRT that within weeks she was 'magically' cured of her anxiety and mood swings.
Pages: [1] 2