Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Started to bleed again is it normal?  (Read 6426 times)

ivyjane

Started to bleed again is it normal?
« on: February 11, 2015, 11:11:42 AM »

Hi My periods had stopped but I was having terrible hot flushes etc. and felt lousy so I started taking Elleste sole about 5 months ago, but then two weeks ago I started bleeding again and have been ever since. Is this normal or should I be worried about it, don't want to stop taking my HRT because I feel so much better otherwise.

Millykin

Re: Started to bleed again is it normal?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 11:43:53 AM »

Are you post meno then with Elleste solo? Not clued up here but I think a bleed can be expected in first 6 months of HRT then anything after should be investigated. I'm sure someone will be along put you right. Welcome here too x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 01:43:58 PM »

ivyjane - welcome to MM
If you still have a uterus (womb) why were you given Ellest Solo - this is usually given to women who have had a hysterectomy.  This HRT is oestrogen only and if a women has not had a hysterectomy then she needs to have some opposing progesterone to stop the womb lining from building up and causing the bleeds you are describing. I'd go back to your doctor and ask for a combined sequential HRT like Femoston 1/10 which will give you a monthly withdrawal bleed that will protect your uterus and stop the continuous bleeding. You may need to take some progesterone first to shed your lining and wait till the bleeding stops before starting anything new but maybe ask for a referral to a gynae or meno clinic for more advice.
This wouldn't be the first time that a GP has made a mistake when prescribing HRT.
I hope that helps. Let us know how you get on.  Dg x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 05:13:24 PM »

Hi ivyjane

:welcomemm:

Gosh yes you should have a progestogen - no wonder you are bleeding if you have been given Elleste solo rather than Elleste Duet, or Elleste Duet conti! How long had your periods stopped before you started the HRT? If you were 12 months without a period then you would have been classed as post-meno but if you had been less than this then your own cycle could cause a bleed.

If it is definitely Elleste solo and no progestogen, you absolutely need to go back to the doctor asap and ask to be referred for a uterus scan - and the doc needs to be told that you have been given the wrong HRT - this is grossly irresponsible because unopposed oestrogen can lead to endometrial hyperplasia (over-thickening) which can (rarely) lead to cancer if left unresolved.

The doc should immediately refer you for scan and also give you progestogen such as norethisterone which will thin the lining (if it has over-thickened) and then you can carry on with a normal cyclical HRT like the one Dancinggirl suggested.

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 05:58:43 PM »

Hi ivyjane - welcome to the forum.

I agree with the others that you do need a progesterone in order to protect your womb lining from cancer.

My doc made a mistake and put me on the wrong HRT a few years ago so don't be worried about going back to get it changed.

Taz x

ivyjane

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 09:10:50 AM »

Thank you to everyone who has answered I have just rung my doctors to make another appointment, I had been without periods for about 9 months so I hope to get this sorted out asap!

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 12:28:45 PM »

Hi ivyjane

If you'd been without periods for 9 months then you should be on a sequential HRT - but as already mentioned by several you may need some extra progestogen to start with. Do please insist on a U/S scan if this is not offered.

Hurdity x

ivyjane

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 12:29:57 PM »

Just one more thing re being on the wrong HTR, I can't get an appointment until the end of next week so should I stop taking the tablets now or wait until I've seen the doctor? Any advice please getting worried about this x

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 12:37:03 PM »

Hi ivyjane

You shouldn't be worried, but I would actually ask for an appointment on the day - they have made a mistake (if you still have a womb and are absolutely certain you are taking oestrogen only tablets) - and you should explain this and the bleeding. If they won't give you an appointment, I would ask them to get a doctor to phone you back - my practice will do this if there is something you need to ask about but can't get an appointment.

None of us are qualified to say whether you should stop or not and I think a doctor should speak to you, but you shouldn't worry! Nothing's going to happen in the short term!

Hurdity x

peegeetip

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 01:16:01 PM »

Hi

totally agree with Hurdity.
Unfortunately this does not surprise some of us, and so sorry your going thru this.

Right now, I'd go with the "call me back pronto approach as you've prescribed me Elleste Solo wrongly", this moment, don't wait.

If you have not had a hysterectomy then you should not have been on Elleste Solo.

I don't think you have cause to worry as your body is trying to have a period.

However 5 months on the Estrogen only Elleste Solo will have caused a thickening hence your longer bleed than normal.

They should be able to swap you to medium HRT's Elleste Duet 1mg or Femoston 1/10 today.
So that you can continue and have a more normal bleed with prog part asap.

From my experience I'd go straight to the est+prog part and force your body to have some prog asap since you've been on estrogen only for so long. But thats only my opinion based on my use of HRT so far.

When you next see the doc make sure they book you in for a scan to check for thickening too.
This is just to be on the safe side.

Prior to getting a scan you should continue to get an HRT, as the regular prog in it will push your body back into a normal cycle and bleed over next couple of months.

Hope you get them today and a new prescription this afternoon.

:-*

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:19:09 PM by peegeetip »

ivyjane

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 04:05:13 PM »

Tried to get appointment today no chance at all, total waste of space and they couldn't even get a doc to ring me back so I'm going to try again tomorrow and keep on at them til they do something, thanks to everyone for your advice  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 06:07:37 PM »

ivyjane - You're not in immediate danger but I'm outraged that you couldn't even get a phone consultation ???good luck.  Keep us posted.  DG x

peegeetip

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 07:40:34 PM »

:hotflash:

Like DG I'm having a hard time believing they could be so outragious.

Hope you get someone with a bit of empathy tomorrow.

I'd ask for the practice manager also as receptionist can be quite sharp and evasive when they have no right to be.

A lot of practices have a nurse that can write day to day prescriptions too just to give you another possible option.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:42:36 PM by peegeetip »

ivyjane

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 10:40:26 AM »

Hi just an update, spoke to a doc over the phone and they have changed to me to Elleste Duet Conti picking pills up today! Hope this softs things out.

Thank you all its a good job I asked yesterday  :)

peegeetip

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 11:44:57 AM »

Hi DG,

perhaps due to Ivy's age and 9 months without periods the doc has chosen to give her Elleste Duet Conti.

This means she'll be on the prog+est right away which is a good thing given the situation so far as you point out.  ;)

I wish my doc had done same but stuck to the stupid 1 year thang.
I was just about getting to the year without a period but no I had to do the sequential two step.
I still feel this was a strategy by doc to put me off.
As the first couple of months were heavier and sore but that might just have been my abscence of mind due to not having them for almost 1 year.
As explained it almost worked as I almost gave up but thankfully stuck with it. 
When I go back to swap to conti then I'm sure I'll get more guilt and doom.

Hi Ivy,

the conti will put you back to a no period situation which is good if you dont want a monthly bleed.
This might take some time and you might get a few periods or continued bleeding for a while.
The conti will stop build up and keep things healthier than a sequi option.
But this can quite a few months from what I've seen on MM forum and read elsewhere.

So keep with it best you can.

All the best for now.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 11:50:06 AM by peegeetip »
Pages: [1] 2