Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: so anxious  (Read 9484 times)

Mrs Bennet

so anxious
« on: February 10, 2015, 08:30:53 PM »

Hi Ladies

I haven't posted for a long while but have been keeping up by dipping in and reading your posts every now and again. I  am hoping someone can help me out.... I have been suffering from anxiety and panic for quite some time now.....long story.....just wondered if anyone has symptoms similar to mine....my anxiety manifests itself by giving me an upset stomach the true fight or flight response I guess, thus every time I leave the house I fear I will need the loo  :(  (bowel.. sorry to be so graphic, in fact I go several times before I go out)   I then plan every thing around the nearest toilet,  I have seen my GP who prescribed ADs of which just upset my stomach further and so making me more anxious I  have now decided the prescription route is not for me.All of this is really affecting my life... I cannot go on a train, I dread going out for a meal, holidays etc etc my husband is very supportive as are my daughters but  I just feel I am letting everyone down. I have just ordered Claire Weekes book and hope this will be of some help. I have been to see a psychologist which did help....I
think  :-\  please tell me  am not alone. OOOO.... I am 55 and have been period free for 18 months.

Love Mrs B xxx      sorry to have gone on & on & on & on........

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: so anxious
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 08:34:42 PM »

Oh that's short Mrs B  ::) and yep, your tummy symptoms seem anxiety driven.  Relaxation therapy can help.  As can going to the loo before travelling ……… get me onto a motorway and I want to go at once  >:( ……

You are not letting anyone down.  This is part of the hormone journey and many ladies have anxiety.  What did the psychologist suggest?

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 08:45:01 PM »

Hi Mrs Bennet - I am just like you and it is difficult to go places where you know you wont have quick access to a loo. Is this a recent symptom and have you had it investigated by your GP properly? Does it ever happen when you don't have to go anywhere? Early mornings used to be worst for me although since my hyster last year it can strike at any time nowadays. My doc prescribed me Buscopan which has helped me quite a lot. You can buy it over the counter. The other thing is immodium which, used on an occasional basis, my doc recommended - but only after being investigated for anything medically wrong.

This problem affects many people. There may be something to help you here http://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.org/  but rest assured - you are not alone. I only have to receive an invite out somewhere for my stomach to begin to cramp. The mind is a very powerful thing!

Taz x  :bighug:

gina123

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 09:09:59 PM »

i too suffer anxiety and have tried anti depresents which did nothing exept make me drowsy.. mine is a health anxiety and i am hoping my cbt and mindfullness i have just started is the right route to take..xx

honorsmum

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 09:20:49 PM »

Claire Weekes is wonderful - both her books and her audio downloads, Youtube clips etc.
Mindfulness would help you too, and is something you can practise wherever you are.

I have Crohn's and IBS, which can be problematic. Many members of a support forum I am on suggest carrying with you a small emergency kit - spare knickers, wet wipes etc - to help with confidence. Also, maybe wearing a Tena Lady towel or similar, just in case of accidents.

Like all anxiety and phobias, ultimately it's a case of working through your fears, by gradual exposure, so you realise that the thing that scares you won't happen.xxx

BrightLight

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 09:39:12 PM »

Mrs Bennet - you are not alone in this experience.  The difficulty with anxiety and panic is knowing when to push through your fears and when not too and as Honorsmum says, facing your fears is really important so that they don't get bigger.

In the past I have had a course of CBT through my GP, which really did help with strategies to accomplish this 'mind over matter' mindset and behaviour.  It doesn't take away the anxiety straight away but you learn not to feed the fear and things will get better as you master power over it all.

Saying all that, sometimes we are just anxious and need to take a break and relax completely, but form bitter experience avoidance is not an ideal strategy to adopt for long.

Sounds like you have identified that medication isn't helping and some of the situations that you feel are being affected by all this which is a great start to solving the problem. x

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 11:00:35 PM »

Thank you all so much for your replies xxxx...in all honesty it really helped to write down my problem and it is a comfort to know I am not alone. My GP has been really good....diagnosed GAD....which has surfaced because of some major problems with my mother ( feel guilty for saying that  :(  ) I have tried everything  to help myself I do have my little kit in my bag  :) I take imodium beta blockers peppermint capsules peptobismol have listened to cds and read loads on the net,  I really feel at the end of my tether and also very foolish I have never yet had an accident it really is the fear of doing so, I am ok while at home, feel safe I suppose, I do go out but I always feel stressed and anxious,   I so want to be able to enjoy my life.   I had 6 sessions with a psychologist which did seem to help a bit but no cure I am afraid.  I am meeting a friend for  coffee tomorrow and I am in a panic already its all so ridiculous.....is there any hope xxxxx

BrightLight

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 11:06:50 PM »

I definately think there is hope :) It's great that sharing it all is somehow helping and that you are managing it as best you can.  So be kind to yourself, however rubbish you feel about not dealing with things the way you would hope too.  There is always the possibility that things won't be as stressful as you fear, some times they might but sometimes they won't - hang on to the hope of the times where things are all OK :)

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 11:12:45 PM »

Thank you BrightLight that makes sense.......  tomorrow is another day as they say..... and hopefully my Claire Weekes books will arrive and so more help will be at hand  :) xxxx

Millykin

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 11:20:01 PM »

Oh Mrs B I can relate to the anxiety thing. I've just started a thread 'Look how far I've come" in personal experience. It tells of how I was last year. I am on HRT now though. I've tried beta blockers too they did help initially but stopped after 8 months. Wishing you well x

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 11:26:41 PM »

Thank you  Millykin I will take a look at your thread,  it is such a comfort to have all you lovely girls out there xxxx

TropicalVon69

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 08:50:54 AM »

Hi...feeling the same Mrs B....awful isn't it.....do keep going out though and relaxing after....just started her and anxiety has worsened, but hopefully it will get better....sending hugs xxx

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 09:03:50 AM »

Mmmmm...sorry you are feeling the same it really is awful  :(  must try to stay positive, though it is hard at times.... hopefully the HRT will help you soon, along with all the support we get on this forum,  ....hugs to you too xxxxx

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 06:15:42 PM »

Hi ladies my Claire Weekes books arrived today  :)  very easy to read...... & having listened to some interviews with her on you tube I can hear her voice which seems to be helping too, will let you know how I get on in the next few days.....yes I am hoping for a miracle  ;D xx

honorsmum

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 06:22:08 PM »

I love Claire Weekes - she is like a lovely matronly aunt, holding your hand and guiding you through. She makes everything so clear and straightforward.
Pages: [1] 2 3