Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT - night sweats  (Read 5005 times)

zelda

HRT - night sweats
« on: February 09, 2015, 09:34:07 AM »

since i lowed my dose due to not getting my usual hrt in spain i have been experiencing terrible night sweats. i go to bed normal and sometimes feeling cold but in the night i start to sweat and sometimes have to change my t shirt 3 times during the night, could it be that because the oestrogen is lower in my new hrt that it has started the night sweats coming back?

Hurdity

Re: HRT - night sweats
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 09:59:38 AM »

Hi zelda

Sorry to hear this - return of night sweats usually means a lowered oestrogen level (although sometimes the progestogen phase also seems to cause a temporary increase in flushes and sweats).

What HRT were you on and what have you changed to?

Hurdity x

zelda

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 10:53:26 AM »

i was on femeston 1/10 for 3 years but am now 55 so have gone onto activelle 1mg/0.5mg... as you cant get femeston in spain.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 05:56:25 PM »

I remember now - I think we discussed on another thread. It will be something to do with both changing the progestogen and/or changing from sequential HRT to conti HRT. Difficult to say which since you changed both at the same time! Is it possible for you to try the equivalent dose of cyclical HRT - the bleed type and see how you feel compared to Femoston? It may well be that your body will acclimatise to the change but I can see this is very annoying when Femoston was controlling your symptoms.

Otherwise I would suggest a transdermal HRT might be the way to go ie a patch.

Hurdity x

zelda

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 08:20:43 AM »

i am thinking that because the oestrogen has been reduced to 0.5 from 1mg that is causing the night sweats to come back?

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »

Hi zelda

Activelle contains 1 mg oestrogen unless there is a low dose preparation. It is the progestogen (norethisterone) which is 0.5 mg.

Hurdity x

zelda

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 09:18:35 AM »

you are right, it is 0.5 progesterone so maybe i need to increase that... what do you think would this help with the night sweats?

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 05:38:09 PM »

No you don't need to increase the progestogen! It is a different type than you had before and you can't compare the doses. Increasing the progestogen would not help with the night sweats and I think I mentioned before that some women find that when on the progestogen phase of HRT, norethisterone (the type in Activelle) can increase night sweats so if you are taking it all the time this could be a factor in your case. However it might just be changing over as your body acclimatises to the new preparation. While waiting for it to settle can you find out what other tablets HRT types are available in Spain?

Hurdity x

zelda

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 09:18:17 AM »

ah thanks so much for that..... i can't get any info on what type of hrt is available in spain at all.... i went to the pharmacy yesterday but no joy and my doctor does not speak english and unfortunately i don't speak spanish so i guess i will just have to stay on the activelle until i move from spain in a couple of months.... i have been on them since october and the night sweats only started in january... do you think they might go by themselves?

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 12:26:15 PM »

Can't say that zelda - but if you are moving in a couple of months (back to Britain?) then if you can cope I would just keep going with what you've got, in the circumstances!

Hurdity x

zelda

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 09:00:38 AM »

thanks much hardily for all your help... moving to Southern Ireland so will stay with Activlle until then...