Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vagifem and IBS  (Read 14766 times)

Maryjane

Re: Vagifem and IBS
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 10:00:40 AM »

My understanding is......they use the same printout for vagifem as the do for the full HRT, regardless and they havnt put a proper one together just for the vagifem

honorsmum

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 10:15:15 AM »

My understanding is......they use the same printout for vagifem as the do for the full HRT, regardless and they havnt put a proper one together just for the vagifem

Hope you don't mind, but I have just sent you a private message, Mary Jane.

Rowan

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 10:18:11 AM »

I should say that's proof that vagifem can go systemic, many women do complain about these side effects, some women just can't tolerate it.

Morwenna if your painful IBS subsides after stopping the vagifem  you have your answer. I would try that before consenting to a colonoscopy.

Morwenna

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 11:05:04 AM »

Silverlady I'm inclined to agree - I've upped the dosage of the antispasmodics I usually take and have stopped Vagifem for now. I have a GP appointment today and will ask if he thinks giving this regime time to work is reasonable given the time scale of my worsening symptoms. I don't think he really wants to refer me for a colonoscopy either to be fair.

Also, I'm sure Vagifem does go systemic as my breasts have enlarged since I've been on it. Not that I'm complaining about that! If everything settles down in the next week or so I'll start using it again and see what happens. On the other hand if I'm no better.....    :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 11:06:43 AM »

Conservative measures first?  Wait and watch?  Find out how long you need to wait for a colonoscopy ………. if it's a couple of months then perhaps make the appt. which you can cancel nearer the time if symptoms improve?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 01:13:58 PM »

Must fish out my Colpermin again and up the amount of Actimel.  Slow transit this week  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 05:39:02 PM »

Just to clarify the point about systemic absoprtion, there is no question about whether the estradiol in Vagifem is absorbed systemically - it is! However following the initial loading period ( 2 + weeks depending on degree of VA) the tissues are sufficiently plumped up for this to be minimal and therefore side effects should also be minimal. Dosage must be kept up for the tissues to continue to remain plumped up.

It is possible that for some women 10 mcg simply isn't enough to keep VA at bay and this being the case, more would continue to be absorbed. Nevertheless the amount absorbed is minimal as I said ( as I've read!).

I wouldn't have thought that side effects would present themselves in the first instance 6 weeks into treatment, because systemic absorption is greater initially  :-\

Personally I would carry on with it (Vagifem) and see if the IBS clears anyway, if you are able to take something to help with any pain if it's bad....

Hurdity x

Morwenna

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 10:33:51 AM »

My GP has referred me back to the gastroenterologist I saw three or four years ago. He doesn't believe an urgent referral is necessary as there are no 'red flag' symptoms, however he does think the persistent pain needs investigating - advising that the gastroenterologist may just perform a sigmoidoscopy procedure rather than a full blown ('not without risks' -his words) colonoscopy. In the meantime having missed the last three Vagifem pessaries I am experiencing a return of bladder symptoms!!  :o

honorsmum

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 10:41:30 AM »

At least you will be able to ask about the faecal calprotectin test.

It's a bit unfair of your GP to frighten you with talk of risks for things like colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy. I'm sure there ARE risks, as with many procedures, but it's not helpful to throw the idea around without being able to balance it with figures, need etc.
I will say, the risk factor hasn't ever been a point of discussion or consideration when my gastro has talked about me having colonoscopies - it is a very routine procedure, seemingly.
Pages: 1 [2]