Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Music and musicians  (Read 47141 times)

Dulciana

Music and musicians
« on: February 01, 2015, 03:58:24 PM »

Hi Dulciana,
Lovely to hear from a fellow musician!
Here's a potted history of me -
I started playing the flute at 9 and passed grade 8 with distinction at 12, at which point I won a scholarship to study as a Junior on Saturdays at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama. I went on to study full time there at 18, before doing a post grad at the Royal Academy of Music.
At 21, I trialled with Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, and then was asked to play for the orchestra of Welsh National Opera when I was 22. I played with them for 13 years, but also played for the Halle, BBC National Orchestra of Wales, London Sinfonietta, among others.
I played on tv, radio, CD (Charlotte Church's first album, among others!) and it was while playing for WNO that I met my husband, who is a percussionist. He still plays for WNO and also teaches at the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama. I don't really play professionally any more, but I teach and my son has recently started learning the  cello. I play piano as well, which I find very relaxing. I miss my nights on stage and in the pit, all the lovely people I worked with, the excitement etc but I needed to be at home for my children.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi honorsmum and thanks for your reply!   I really enjoyed reading about who you've played with and where you've played.  It must be so much more challenging, getting a wind-instrument job, as you've all got such soloistic parts within the orchestra.  Hats off to you! Most of my orchestral experience (as a 2nd study violist) has been on the amateur circuit but I did do a year with the National Centre for Orchestral Studies back in the '80's.

I got grade 8 piano with distinction (though at 15, not at 12!!).  I studied music at Glasgow University then did two years at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.  I taught for 17 years while we lived in the south of England - we then moved back to Scotland in 2000 and I had to get some office work just to bring in some money during what was a very lean time for hubby and me.   Going back a bit - in 1984, I had to get a crash course of 4 organ lessons in order to accompany a choir who needed an organist at short notice.  This was the start of my passion for the instrument, although it took a back seat for a long while.  Then nine years ago, I started taking organ lessons regularly and in 2008, I passed DipABRSM on the organ, then last year I passed ARCO and I've just started working for FRCO (this is going to take a while  ::)!).  I am the regular organist at a church in Edinburgh and I teach piano in one of their church hall rooms.  Three years ago, I played the organ part in a local performance of the Saints Saens Organ Symphony and last year I gave a recital at our church that brought me some very nice feedback.  (I love performing.)   So that's me, in a nut-shell! 

What sort of music do you like best (playing or listening to)?  I love the French Romantics and Post-Romantics, also Brahms and Bach.   To relax, I listen to gentle jazz.   :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 11:31:01 AM by Dulciana »

honorsmum

Re: Musicians - let's swap "notes"!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 04:16:51 PM »

Wow! That's quite some cv, Dulciana!
How lovely that you have found a love (and obvious talent) for the organ in recent years. My first performance on trial with Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra was the organ symphony, so it is a special piece for me.
Where in the South of England did you live? I grew up in Surrey and taught there from the age of 15.

I love all sorts of music. To play, French Romantic (wonderful repertoire for the flute), but to listen to, Sibelius, Dvorak, Brahms, Mahler, Tchaikovsky - all the big, emotional symphonies and string concertos, and of course Puccini operas. I could never choose my desert island discs - too many favourites!

Dulciana

Re: Calling all musicians - let's swap "notes"!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 04:51:51 PM »

Sibelius - yes, of course!  So much of his music makes me think of (or imagine) great Finnish forests, sweeping over miles and miles.  So definitely another favourite.   And Puccini operas would certainly be wonderful of you're a flautist.  (The last one I heard was Butterfly last autumn and before that, I played in several before I was married.)  I'm not particularly an opera-lover, but Puccini's tunes are so delicious.

I know what you mean about desert island discs - I'd need a library of box sets!

We lived in Essex four 14 years, then Suffolk for three.  My hubby lectured in music in Colchester and our daughter (who's now 27) was born there.

I don't know about you, but I find that making music is one of the very best antidotes to this lovely menopause thing!   It can rise to whole new levels of daunting-ness before I actually play, but whether it's practising or performing, I find it gives me a lift that no over-the-counter remedy can!   Do you find this?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 05:08:09 PM »

Music is in my background too >wave<

Mum played the organ in church from an early age
Dad learned to play violin and hated it  ::)
I was forced to play piano  ::) - in Primary School I learned the recorder and moved onto clarinet in Senior School - I was in the School band and choir
I went to guitar classes when I was 14-17 and was sent to ballet lessons from 8-18

honorsmum

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 05:40:19 PM »

I think performing is the most wonderful kind of mindfulness - you are so in the moment, you can't be worrying about anything else, so definitely an antidote to stress and anxiety.
I also find music a fantastic emotional and expressive outlet, whether performing or listening.

Dulciana

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 06:28:20 PM »

Oh, definitely, honorsmum.  I'm amazed at the great international female soloists who are at our time of life and spend their lives on the concert platform - it must be being so "in the moment" that carries them through each performance. 

CLKD - do you still play now?  I'm in awe of wind players.  My sister, who's a pianist, had a go at the flute when she was about eleven, but I'm afraid her efforts were more steam engine noises than silvery tones! 

I'm impressed with both of you for being able to do what eluded my sis!   :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:52:18 PM by Dulciana »

BrightLight

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 06:32:49 PM »

Hello - music has been my saviour in my life, my solace, my joy and my freedom.  I sung at school, played piano and spent most of my time listening to music.  When I left home I stopped playing and singing and have only picked it all back up in the last 5 years.  In the last 2 years whilst I have felt all over the place, music has been my rock.

Only recently started to appreciate classical music and discovering contemporary composers.  I have a degree in film production and love soundtracks as well.

Dulciana

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 07:00:36 PM »

Really pleased to hear that, BrightLight.    :foryou:    Hope you enjoy your journey of discovery of classical music.

honorsmum

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »

Hello - music has been my saviour in my life, my solace, my joy and my freedom.  I sung at school, played piano and spent most of my time listening to music.  When I left home I stopped playing and singing and have only picked it all back up in the last 5 years.  In the last 2 years whilst I have felt all over the place, music has been my rock.

Only recently started to appreciate classical music and discovering contemporary composers.  I have a degree in film production and love soundtracks as well.

Singing is meant to be good for depression.  :)

I have recently fallen in love with the music of Hans Zimmer - do you know the soundtrack to The Holiday? If you haven't heard it, you must - and the film is absolutely gorgeous.

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »

Wow! What talented people we have on the forum. Me, well very late into music. Now taking singing exams alongside children and studying basic music theory. Before the age 60? Just a hidden belief that somewhere deep inside I had a voice. It's never too late to find joy in music!

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 07:57:58 PM »

Did it and gave it up.

Played piano for years and got to grade 8 at age 16, did an O level in music and the started higher....life and boys got in the way along with the realisation that most of the girls that were doing the same course as me were headed for music school and that was not what I wanted.
Played the clarinet up till 17 and took part in many competitions. Sang in choirs including my county choirs.

Gave up and never went back. Had a key board for a while but was a bit demoralised by my lack of skill after so many years.

My overriding memories are of the fun that I had and how it made me feel.

I did join a college choir and sang in Glasgow University Chapel one Christmas.

Nearly went to The Catherdral of the Isle to do a quick rehearsal and then performance but chickened out at the last minute.

I am so impressed with what others have done.
Guess the important thing is to enjoy music be it a triangle or a tambourine.

Honeyb
X
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 07:59:41 PM by honeybun »

BrightLight

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 08:18:54 PM »

Singing is meant to be good for depression.  :)

I have recently fallen in love with the music of Hans Zimmer - do you know the soundtrack to The Holiday? If you haven't heard it, you must - and the film is absolutely gorgeous.

I am new to Mr Zimmer but yes, that's the sort of thing I love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlb8LRUkT3I

Limpy

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2015, 08:24:30 PM »

Played French Horn - Didn't do grade exams apart from grade 6 theory.
Mostly played in amateur orchestras.
While I was a student (doing Economics) I taught brass instruments as a peripatetic teacher, trolling around local schools. Also, while doing degree I was fortunate enough to get some work, playing in the nearest professional orchestra.

However, the pieces that have stuck in my mind are those that I played in amateur orchestras.  Mahler 1, Saint Seans 3, Bruckner 8, Shostakovich Cello concerto 2

Haven't played properly for years -Did get the horn out about 6 months ago, didn't sound too bad, however the valves kept sticking which didn't help things. OH had said he would sort it out. This was about 2 weeks before his first heart episode in September........  Haven't been near the horn since.

Dulciana

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 08:28:48 PM »

Guess the important thing is to enjoy music be it a triangle or a tambourine.Honeyb X
You're absolutely right, HB.   Music's sociable, enjoyable, inspiring..................trying to think of any more suitable words........ :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2015, 09:10:26 PM »

Oh I had forgotten the triangle - that was my very first instrument when I went to Infant School  ::) - I remember hating it 'cos I had no rhythm then.  I did ballet and music exams. to Grade 4 and 5 respectively.  We had fun!  I don't remember being nervous I suppose because I could dissipate any anxiety by knowing it would pass when I began what ever I was doing.

Now I can't read music …….. when I had my appendix out in 1992 I decided to use my enforced rest by re-learning but was soon disillusioned.  I had moved into an area where we went to a folk club every evening and I was amongst people who can really play!  I have watched youngsters play through the ranks into Groups such as the Albion Band and
Fairport  ;).  Sadly schools are not endowed with as much music tuition as we had access to!  I went to weekend College where we played with other musicians, learning pieces which would be played to the parents etc. on the Sunday before we went home. I loved that too! and there was SUCH talent around.  Kids that could pick up any instrument and play ……

Singing: now that was another issue altogether which I loved - I was in a a G&S Society, in the school choir, sang around the house - when I had BAD anxiety every morning when I worked in boarding kennels I would go into the dogs singing loudly - that shut them up  ;D

Music heals.  Music unites.  Music invigorates.  I know of several schemes where singing has been introduced into 'homes' where people with dementia are living: with success!  I know of several schemes where music goes into schools for children with disabilities, again with success. 

We have suggested a menopause matters choir in the past  ;D …….
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11