Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Another set back!  (Read 2743 times)

Pauline

Another set back!
« on: February 05, 2015, 09:25:06 AM »

Just recovering from pneumonia and I fell and broke my tibia in two places! In a cast from toe to groin so my leg is now a concrete pillar! Off to clinic to see if it is healing correctly today. If not it will be surgery. Great!
Any experiences to draw on would be useful, especially the frustration and emotional side. I am finding it very hard to accept total immobility.
Thanks

Joyce

Re: Another set back!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 11:42:02 AM »

:bighug:

How unlucky. Can't give any advice though. Hope your check up goes well today though. Let us know what they say.

purplenanny

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 12:01:13 PM »

What a horrible thing to happen. No experience but wishing you all the best. Hope you can avoid surgery
:hug:

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 01:12:34 PM »

No experience I'm afraid, just wanted to send you a  :hug: and hope you got on ok at the clinic.

Pauline

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 10:21:09 AM »

Well, yesterday's X rays revealed that the bone is now in much better alignment so that is good. I have to see the clinic again next Thursday, and, if all is still well, I have another three weeks in the full length cast before graduating to a new one that will allow me to bend the knee. That will mean more flexibility in getting around and I will be able to be a passenger in a car. Have to learn the technique of crutches too!!
Thanks for the messages. It's a bleak time but made better by well wishers!

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 12:50:28 PM »

Sorry to hear this Pauline - hope you heal well!  :)

Hurdity x

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 01:00:12 PM »

Fingers crossed that it mends without surgical intervention.   Can't begin to imagine how restricting it is. Thankfully only thing I've ever broken is my wee toe on both feet, though not at same time. Must be so itchy! They tell you not to poke anything up/down plasters but my daughter managed to find a knitting needle to relieve her itches, despite being told not to! She broke her wrist at gymnastics whilst at primary school.

rosebud57

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 02:26:41 PM »

Husband broke tib and fib when I was 5 month pregnant with first baby.  Instead of him looking after me I had to look after him. Needless to say it healed very well, but be prepared for physio when the plaster is off.  It takes a while to rebuild the muscle.

Galadriel

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 03:06:26 PM »

You have been in the wars Pauline  :bighug:

I hope your bones continue to heal well and take all the care you can get  :)

Galadriel x