Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Anybody in the Bristol Area?  (Read 5566 times)

libby1

Anybody in the Bristol Area?
« on: January 30, 2015, 07:07:48 PM »

Hi girls

Looks like we will be moving this year! Anyone live in or around Bristol? Trying to find out which are the nice parts and which to avoid  ::) We're looking north of Bristol towards Chipping Sodbury and everywhere in between!

Libby
x

Dulciana

Re: Anybody in the Bristol Area?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 01:29:31 PM »

Daughter lives in Bristol, libby1 - she tells us Clifton is the smartest part of the city.

Hattie

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 03:35:06 PM »

I know Chipping Sodbury and you wouldn't go far wrong if you chose there or nearby. It is a bigger old market town with shops and several pubs and has retained nice shops like Hobbs Bakery, Poppy's Tea rooms, small library,florist etc. There are buses into Bristol and you are near the motorway.

I would advise against Yate which is next to Chipping Sodbury - it does now have a train station again i think and has a shopping centre. There has been a lot of development in Yate over the years - the shopping centre is bulk standard shops - health centre there and i think a cinema complex is coming to Yate.

There is always Old Sodbury other side of Chipping Sodbury - a bit smaller village that you pass through to get to main road for the motorway. People often used to have their photo taken by the Old Sodbury sign - standing over the 'bury' bit !

Depends what you want - there are other nice villages around Sodbury but you wouldn't have the facilities that Sodbury has.

Clifton Bristol would be expensive.

Hattie X

libby1

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 03:44:06 PM »

Thanks Girls  :)

We need to be near Coalpit Heath and Stapleton so are looking north east of Bristol. I like Clifton but it is soo expensive! I think I would love Chipping Sodbury but I'm not sure if it would be too far out to get into Bristol everyday?

Any advice is much appreciated  ;)

Libby
x

Rowan

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 03:45:21 PM »

I do love those West Country names, my brother use to live in Dilton in the Marsh before he moved nearer Bath.

Its a beautiful part of the world to live with such beautiful villages.

I am sure you will find somewhere you will love libby1

Hattie

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 04:40:14 PM »

Years ago i used to travel to school in Bristol - it was 45mins by bus from Chipping Sodbury to Bristol Bus Station- the road in via Frampton Cotterell, Winterbourne isn't a bad road but now a days may have a lot of commuter traffic - you could always go there and time a journey into Bristol from Sodbury. There is always the M4 and M32 which would get you in quicker.

Frenchay Hospital was closed in recent years and the land is said to be going for housing development if you want a new house - i can't find any links - only newspaper reports so this may be in early stages.That would be very near Coalpit Heath - the main hospital in now Southmead which has been newly built.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-26754775

As Silverlady says villages around Bath are lovely - Marshfield is near the M4 and a fair sized village -it will be nicer going East that way than out towards chipping sodbury.

Just as an aside JK Rowling was born in Chipping Sodbury/Yate Cottage Hospital.

Hattie X

Found this but not sure how up to date it is

http://aww-uk.com/our-work/frenchay-hospital-site-masterplan/

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:48:41 PM by Hattie »