Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: CBT  (Read 11271 times)

babyjane

Re: CBT
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 03:22:06 PM »

I have paid privately for therapy in the past and got no benefit.  then through the clinic I go to I was referred to the chronic illness psychologist and then on to a psychotherapist on the NHS and she was really really good over 12 months of therapy.  But it is not like taking a headache pill, it is an ongoing process, you are taught coping strategies and it helps you to understand yourself better.  I still use the strategies even now after several years.

Galadriel

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 03:38:49 PM »

Great to hear it went well for you.

I'm still using strategies from my psychotherapy :)

Galadriel x

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 05:03:42 PM »

Great news CG. Sounds as if she really understood you.

Why oh why did I get a bloke  ::)

Honeyb
X

Dorothy

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 05:24:51 PM »

So pleased to hear it was helpful CG

Joyce

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 06:19:51 PM »

She really did seem to get it! She even moaned about her own GP saying she couldn't be menopausal when she was in her mid 40s despite her own mum & grandmother going through it at around the same age. Now men would never get that would they?

Suzyq

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 06:29:15 PM »

I had two lots of cbt - first with a woman in her 50's who talked a lot but didn't help me. Second with a man in late thirties - he was fab! I was the same - felt that dizzyness was giving me anxiety not the other way around but he helped me deal with anxiety whatever the reason for it - and also used to spin me round to get me dizzy so I could reqlise that although it was unpleasant it wasn't going to hurt me! He really was brilliant. He also steered me towards mindfulness but I just couldn't get on with that!

I also found the book by Claire weekes to be very helpful although very outdated! The hardest thing is to keep pushing yourself in between sessions! He used to set me tasks to do, small at first then building up to harder - they really helped...

Good luck!

purplenanny

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 10:32:13 PM »

Good luck cubagirl, pleased it went well for you. She sounds like a nice lady and understanding
let us know how you get on with the herbal help

Joyce

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 11:37:13 PM »

I've managed to source the Sweet Chestnut one, but will have to wait until I go into town for the Rock Rose. You have to take with water or any other drink you fancy & sip it slowly. I guess that in itself helps you slow down.

purplenanny

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 11:53:14 PM »

Just had a look and both are sold on that very popular online place beginning with A (am i allowed to say the name?) for around £5.80 with free delivery to Uk

kerrieann

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 10:45:41 AM »

I have been seeing a lady for 6 months at the gp surgery, she is very nice and i enjoyed talking to her, what she was telling me i think is common sense and made me feel good when i was there but back in the real world i still find it had to put into practise

However when i saw her last week she told me that all funding had been cut and i only have one more session with her then she is finished at both surgeries she worked at  :(

Joyce

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 11:44:10 AM »

Thanks PN, I did see that. Will try local H&B when I go into town next week, if no joy I will order. I need to go into town anyway.

pj44

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 05:13:01 PM »

Just a little advice when you have your rememdy dont brush your teeth for say half an hour. Something to do with chemicals in toothpaste. i used all homepathic remedies on me and my children i used to be really into it.

pj44

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 05:16:28 PM »

Ops i meant to say i'm having cbt at moment. It is helping. I have alsorts of councilling over the years first time for cbt thou. I have been told that my issues are deep seated so i think i'm past help lol.

Joyce

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 05:59:59 PM »

Some of my homework I don't like. Filling in symptoms, how I've dealt with it, all sorts. Reminds me of being back at college somehow, makes me feel stressed. I know that sounds daft but not going there. I'm doing a daily diary instead on how I've felt that day.

Joyce

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2015, 02:51:04 PM »

Well having told my CBT therapist I didn't like tick sheets etc, what the heck did she give me more of?  Really! I could answer one way today & totally differently tomorrow, depending on my frame of mind. I seem to be coping fine on Citalopram & learning to refocus my thoughts at times of anxiety. Going to load some more relaxation stuff on iPod, so I can have it with me if necessary.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4