Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: 55+ amount of Estrogeon required  (Read 3550 times)

warwick01

55+ amount of Estrogeon required
« on: January 01, 2015, 01:02:32 PM »

Hi - me again!

I wish this HRT business was far easier.........grrrr

If you have been following my threads, you will be aware my new consultant has told me to reduce my oestragel due to my age.

I'm interested to find out how many ladies 55+ are on a higher dose of estragon e.g 2mg tablet or 75mc patch or 3 or more pumps of gel.

Thanks for your assistance Wx

honeybun

Re: 55+ amount of Estrogeon required
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 04:25:57 PM »

I am on half an evorel conti patch which is 25. I have done this myself and after some initial problems have settled quite well. I have the occasional hot sweat at night but nothing much.
I know the GP will want me to try stopping in a few years and I don't want to be on HRT forever anyway. I figured that getting used to a lot less would be a good idea. I'm going to stick with this amount for a while and then try to reduce again. Our bodies....and this is just my opinion...need to get used to less hormones as that's what happens naturally. For me HRT levelled out the peaks and troughs so hopefully now I'm 54 I won't have as much of that.

Honeyb
X

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 06:14:06 PM »

Hi warwick01

I have only ever been on 50 mcg patches (apart from the odd time when  I've tried to reduce or come off) since I was in late peri-menopause. This has always done the trick for me - ie kept flushes and sweats at bay. I would love to take more but as I've said on other threads I don't want to take the increased progesterone (or shorten my cyle) that would be necessary to keep the lining thin. I'm 61.

I'm sure there are others who are on this dose as you are - and hopefully they will be along soon!

Hurdity x

carrs

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 01:29:49 PM »

Hi Warwick
I have only been on 50 patches but sometimes wondered if I should be on stronger ones. I did not broach this with the Gp's in the group practice, because I wanted to keep below the radar: they tend to tell me to stop after 5 years (already done 6 years with a few very short breaks) or the other usual advice of stopping at 60, which will be later this year. I have started cutting the patches in half to see what happens, partly to appease the GP's and partly because I do not feel great anyway, so would like to know if a half dose makes any difference.

I suppose you could try a lower dose and see what happens. I think part of the issue is that it is difficult to get prescriptions unless you can show that the lower dose is too low.

There is definitely too much trial and error!

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 03:26:42 PM »

I'm on half estradot 25 patch now. Taken a while, but body has adjusted.

warwick01

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 03:55:43 PM »

Thanks for all your replies.

Since reducing from 4 to 3 pumps of oestragel have noticed immediate return of some symptoms ie sweats, fuzzy head and flushing although manageable. I hope things will settle as I suspect my own hormones should be stable at 56 (in 4 weeks)

Fingers crossed :-\