Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Weight loss over Xmas  (Read 9056 times)

Taz2

Re: Weight loss over Xmas
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 03:13:11 PM »

I suppose it might be Ju Ju. These women have families, but have now both divorced as it is so difficult to live with someone who is starving themselves to death and after their children had grown up their respective husbands wanted to begin a real life. They fed their children brilliantly but have never managed to sit down for a meal with them. I wonder where they get their energy from!!

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 03:19:42 PM »

Adrenaline and the fact that we the body doesn't require as much input as we all believe.  It does depend on why people are anorexic - mine is due to emitophobia …….. but for others it is about being in control.  Or getting back at others.  Interesting that they have children Taz, my periods never stopped even when I went down to 5st 2 at C.mas 1971.  In fact my periods were heavy, long, painful. 

It is harder for the person looking on …….. DH told me early on that he was born to take care of me and make sure that I eat properly.  But when anorexia strikes I can't face thinking about food or eating  :-X - whereas my body is screaming out because it is hungry.  But I don't recognise hunger from vomiting.   :'(

Knowing why I can't eat doesn't help.  Knwoing that I have come through the other side each time doesn't help.  Once my stomach feels sick and my throat closes up …… can't.  It isn't a case of won't.  Can't.  What I can't abide is people telling me 'you must eat' ……….. why?  I know that eventually I will begin to eat but the more they keep on  :-\ ……. echoing what my brain is already saying  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 03:34:00 PM »

I have never been anorexic. Don't think I even have anorexic tendencies. I just don't eat much. I'm inclined to stick to a certain routine when it comes to food. Never really deviate away from those routines either.

Actually this is quite interesting thinking about why I am how I am. I think having had stomach problems over the years I have found a way of eating that generally works for me. Not always though. I don't snack. Ever. I see people in cafes having a big slice of cake and think it looks lovely. I have a cup of tea and that's it. Nothing to do with my weight and everything to do with my routine.
Maybe it's an obsessive compulsive thing and I remain in control.

As I said, just a bit weird to be honest. My kids have a great attitude to food and when they were young we all sat down to dinner together. They happily graze but I just don't.

Honeyb
X

Ju Ju

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 03:47:16 PM »

Maybe you are simply attuned to your body?

I have never found it a hardship avoiding the foods that made me ill or being around people eating things I couldn't eat. It was harder for them. Though it has been frustrating when on holiday, trying to find something to eat. I'm all at sea now as I don't really know what I can and cannot eat now, as the food intolerances seem to be receding a bit, for example, I couldn't eat wheat in any form at all for years, but can tolerate it in biscuits but not in bread. Weird.

honeybun

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 03:52:11 PM »

My sister says it's difficult re learning how and what to eat after her gall bladder op. She still has a very few problems but they tend to be pretty random. One week she can eat something and the next week she can't.
Think it just takes time to settle.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 04:48:55 PM »

I can't abide being around food when queasy.  Have no problems avoiding cafes etc. these days, don't justify myself any more. 

I have always carried dry biscuits, packets of Kellogs [individual ones] which can be eaten dry, bananas etc. …………. bottles of Bovril to make hot drinks with ……….

DH needs to lose 2 stone again  :-X

Taz2

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2014, 05:59:43 PM »

I do find food difficult. It's the time it takes to shop for it, prepare it, eat it and then clear up after cooking it etc. I've always seen it as a fuel and not something that I really enjoy although I cooked really well for my children when they were young. My mum always said that if I could have a pill twice a day to give me all the nutrition I needed then she was sure I would do that. I do think I'm missing out on something as so many of my friends spend so much time talking about and then preparing and eating food. The holiday programmes seem to be based around restaurants and food too which just doesn't interest me and I never really feel hungry either.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2014, 06:40:30 PM »

I didn't regcosnise hunger for years.  I lived with feeling slightly light-headed with intense nausea since the age of 3 - if I said I was hungry or didn't' have a day when I didn't feel sick, it was ticked on our calendar  :-\ - I still have 'safe' foods and DH never complains when he cooks the same foods night after night after ………..  :-*

From age 5 I wished there was a pill to swallow which would provide everything I require nutritionally.  Think how much time we would save talking about diets, whether clothes fit/not; what would we do without having to think about, prepare and serve food and it would be one less room and equipment to clean  ;)

Joyce

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2014, 07:00:10 PM »

It was eat up everything and be grateful. I had a more relaxed attitude as does my daughter. The only rule was if you don't want your dinner, then you don't need a pudding.

Sounds very familiar. My mum was similar. Also didn't accept it when I really didn't like something. I had to eat it, end of!

honeybun

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2014, 09:50:38 PM »

I clearly remember my mother reading me stories and feeding me with a spoon at the same time. I think I was another that was force fed as it didn't do to waste food.
We always had dinner midday as my dad worked nights. I simply wasn't hungry but was made to eat and told I was going to be late back to school as I was a home lunch. That made me panic and then feel sick.
I also remember telling my mum I didn't feel well and her ignoring me and sending me on a brownie bus trip to the zoo. I was sick a mile out of town and then again every half hour after. Some young woman knocked me sideways with travel meds. I lay on a blanket at the zoo on my own with a plastic bag. I was 9. Now go figure why I have a sickness phobia. My mother was preparing for my sisters wedding. I have never forgiven her for that. She had to carry me home from the bus.

Not a happy memory at all. She could never figure out why I was scared of being sick to the point of fainting until I told her when I was in my 20s

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2014, 10:07:16 PM »

Must have been way that generation were brought up, I fear. From age of 7 to 9 I was bullied. I tried every trick in the book to avoid going to school too early. I got thrashed on a daily basis by my mother & my grandmother called me evil. Somehow I knew if I told my mother I was being bullied, it would make things worse at school, so stayed schtum until I was in my 20's.

Limpy

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2014, 10:33:27 PM »

What did I eat on boxing day?
At 11am - 1 choc chip biscuit when I left OH at A&E (left the other one for him)
Baked Pork Steaks & heated a Waitrose pasta thing in the evening - OH eat his pasta left his pork, mind you it was tough, left most of mine

Today
Bowl of chopped apple & pear & a glass of orange juice
Lunch - 4 buttered poppy & sesame seed crackers, 1 mug camomile & spearmint tea
Tea/Dinner - 1 pot of Actimel, 3 buttered poppy & sesame seed crackers, 2 mugs camomile & spearmint tea

Just aint hungry - got to eat more tomorrow - Never had a problem with eating before   :'(

honeybun

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2014, 10:36:42 PM »

It's anxiety Limpy. There is no room for food when the butterfly's take over. I think it's pretty normal to be honest. I find just something little helps even if it's just what you have been having.

Just a little something will keep you going.

I hope you both have a peaceful and uneventful night.

Take care

Honeyb
X

Ju Ju

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2014, 10:57:20 PM »

At times like these, just eat what you can. Take healthy odds and ends for snacks with you tomorrow, so you have something to sustain you. It's not easy to get what you need or fancy when visiting hospital. Take care of yourself as much as you can.

I sat and looked at a table of beautifully prepared food this evening and didn't want any of it. Hubby toasted a couple of slices of my homemade spelt and rye bread when we got home as that was all I wanted. Still can't tolerate normal wheat bread, but this is really nice.

Joyce

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2014, 11:24:13 PM »

Little & often when your Tums like that Limpy. Not surprising considering everything that's happening at the moment. Your stomach will be in knots with anxiety.  Heathy snack bars or similar will keep you going meantime.
Pages: 1 [2] 3