Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hello. 4am hiding under covers with phone!  (Read 5523 times)

Ali3

Hello. 4am hiding under covers with phone!
« on: December 26, 2014, 05:54:51 AM »

Hello everyone,

As im awake yet again at 4am busy reading forum topics under the bedcovers so as not to wake my partner,  I just thought I ought to introduce myself as a new member. Please excuse the spelling at this early hour!
So here i  am. I'm 54 and have finally given in to HRT after years of suffering the usual menopausal onslaught of symptoms, partly due to the fact that I have to travel by plane each week to work and I was getting to the point where a panic attack either mid air or striping off ( more than my jacket and belt) at security due to a hot flush were becoming a real issue for me and a potential risk to others! ;)
Anyhow, HRT ( Eleste Duo Conte 2mg) has allowed me to cope once again and no more hot flushes... hooray! but after 3 months on them my insomnia has returned and as for my moods, most of the time I feel like a baked bean in a washing machine on full spin cycle. My GP has advised me to keep going as 3 months isn't long enough to assess what true effect the tablets are having. The sad thing for me about all if this is the awful Christmas Day I've just had. Ok I managed to keep the carving knife firmly in the turkey ( joke... Sort of!) but the pressure and expectation to be jolly & happy on " the most wonderful time of the year" as Andy Williams put it, was really all too much for me. I'm sure some of you must relate to this?

Right it's now 6 am and I might as well get started on the Boxing Day preparation.... Eek !

TropicalVon69

Re: Hello. 4am hiding under covers with phone!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 09:17:19 AM »

Hi Ali..yeah I absolutely relate...I am on my own with my two children both girls age 17 and 9 who I love dearly, but the pressure to make Christmas special for them was tremendous...we can only do what we can and try not to feel guilty....I also had my dad along yesterday and having to ferry him back and forward while tidying, cooking, peacekeeping etc!!! ::).....a few times I wanted to burst into tears as I was soooo tired. left dishes to take dad home and thought girls were taking care of them while Iwas away...well this morning they are still sitting undone...It makesme furious sometimes, trying so hard to keep thing going and 'normal' and the lack of just a little bit of help is frustrating and hurtful...anyway, sorry for the rant but yeah I get it ...hope your day is better today XXX  lolling at the kitchen knife  x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 09:23:43 AM »

welcome!  families  ::) browse round, there is usually someone with an ear in this direction  ;)

Maryjane

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 09:24:26 AM »

Hi tropicalvon I have three daughters, and at seventeen your eldest really should have set to on the dishes with the help of her younger sister, when christmas is over I think a word in the older ones ear is needed.xxx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 09:26:22 AM »

I think a routine at 'festive' meals, i.e. sit down the week before and engage everyone.  Don't expect anyone to do what you want them to without actually asking them because people rarely do what we would like them to do!  Forewarned is forearmed - or buy paper plates and a large sack!

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 10:49:37 AM »

Hello Ali3 and welcome to the forum.

I can relate to a lot of what you say and the pressure to be jolly just adds to the stress. When it all got too much for me yesterday I retreated to the bedroom for a quick lie down and the way today is panning out I'll be doing the same today!

Wishing you well and keep posting.

K.

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 11:33:07 AM »

Good morning Ali3. Flying - I sympathise. I get situational anxiety, especially on planes. My most recent being on flight last week going to daughter's to help out as she was ill. Needing a wee didn't help, but after a flight stuck in my seat due to turbulence, pilot didn't make landing at first attempt. Well I was in such a state, honestly thought my number was up going down runway. Poor guy sat next to me!

I ended up in my bed after lunch yesterday too Kathleen. Only the two of us, but I was in such a mood & annoyed at myself for being such. I just couldn't get into Christmas spirit at all. Lost temper trying to put my new electric vegetable chopper together. After a quick nap I was fine.

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 12:36:17 PM »

:welcomemm:

Yes we tend to put such expectations on Christmas Day. This year has been different for me. I had my gall bladder removed on the 23rd, so I have no choice, but to let everyone else do everything! It's actually rather pleasant! Just to let go and just be.....no expectations and going with the flow. Having a gorgeous 2 year old around is wonderful and entertaining. :)

Ali3

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 07:05:12 PM »

Hi Everyone.

Thank-you for all your welcomes. Its really comforting to know that there are others out there feeling as mad as me! Although I did put the knife away today….
Today was a better day all round, I just had to make the effort rather than feel so guilty for spoiling christmas….phew thankfully its nearly over. We had our 3 teenagers with us today ( 2 are my partners 16 & 18) & my son 19. luckily they all get along well and my son is a godsend in the kitchen as he loves to cook, so I was able to hide behind all the frivolity and laugh at them playing monopoly and my partner also got a break from my antics;)
I hope you feel better soon Ju Ju and get those girl pulling their weight tropicalVon to give you a break! Did you retreat to the bedroom again Kathleen? I also get annoyed with myself for getting annoyed Cuba girl. its hilarious really and I love the plane story, Ive had a few of those. Only 14 more flights for me until I have to stop this travelling!! hooray

Have a good day tomorrow everyone and thanks again
x

Petra

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 07:16:00 PM »

Hiya, I'm just starting to enjoy decent sleep again...in less than a week on estradiol, the night sweats have dropped to maybe 2 a night, so I feel fantastic. Sleep...aaaaaah! Your post was sobering though, re insomnia possibly kicking back in. I'll try not to get my hopes up too high. Or not. Hoping you all survive festivus.

Ali3

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 04:32:07 AM »

Hi Petra.

I'm glad your flushes are better! Try not to worry about insomnia though, otherwise you might not sleep ;) !!
The fact that my flushes are completely gone is a godsend and the insomnia could be influenced by many christmas (and other) stress factors, I'm still so much better on HRT than without it, and I guess we can't expect a complete miracle.... Can we ??? ;)

I hope it keeps working well for you

X

TropicalVon69

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 09:45:24 AM »

Thanks ladies, daughter did dishes yesterday so better late than never lol......just when your exhausted its so demoralising.....hope youre all having a good Saturday xxx

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 01:24:23 PM »

Sat. is great, home is best  ;)

Sharing can help …….. 'it's good to talk'  :)

SallyG

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 08:07:06 AM »

Hi, I totally relate to all your going through. I have been a fan of christmas for ever but this year I was dreading it because of my menopause symptoms and resulting low mood. I am on HRT - the same one and things are improving in my general well being. I am sleeping better but thats because I am taking some SSRI tablets for anti anxiety. I have created a few problems at work for myself with my angry attitude - which I didn't even know I was doing - I was a hostage of my hormones. This site is a Godsend and I now don't feel so alone. So good to 'meet' you

SallyG

Briony

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 11:23:02 AM »

The 'Isn't Christmas wonderful' TV adverts don't help, do they?!! x
Pages: [1] 2