Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hubby visits doctor  (Read 11512 times)

Joyce

Hubby visits doctor
« on: December 18, 2014, 11:09:14 PM »

Off he went yesterday as he had a large lump growing on his thumb, which is in fact a ganglion. BP taken, a bit high, but he's been well stressed with work recently. He's a workaholic! However, he asked for a hearing test as he's getting a bit deaf. So he went back for that today, BP was lower but he's to go back again in 3 weeks to get it checked again & get ECG. He's not a happy bunny, I can tell you. Says he won't change his lifestyle, blah, blah, blah.  Meanwhile he's being referred to auditory clinic as something is definitely wrong with his ears. All that from a sore thumb!

honeybun

Re: Hubby visits doctor
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 11:22:05 PM »

Once they get hold of you CG  ;D

Get the family bible out and bash the lump. I had a big one on my wrist and that was the GPS advice. He told me they could cut it out but they invariably grow back.
So bash it we did.

As for his ears, yep mine has got that problem too.

Bet he won't take any more lumps to the GP any time soon  :o

Honeyb
x

rosebud57

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 09:46:20 AM »

My husband had one on the palm of his hand.  Was removed over thirty years ago and has never come back.  It all depends if it gets in the way.  If it does it's well worth getting it removed.

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 10:52:08 AM »

Cubagirl tell you OH that preventative health is better then treatment after the event.

His GP is on the ball  :)

Hattie

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 12:03:18 PM »

My husband was a workaholic Cubagirl - went to see the doctor because of piles a few years ago - as he was the last patient of the day was given blood pressure, ECG - the doctor said they don't catch men enough in their 50s as they tend not to come to the surgery as they are usually too busy.

My husband is now on blood pressure tablets and statins and says he was probably lucky he had piles.

tiger74

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 12:47:39 PM »

Cubagirl tell you OH that preventative health is better then treatment after the event.

His GP is on the ball  :)

Couldn't agree more - great to hear that the GP was so thorough.

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 01:12:13 PM »

He's getting no sympathy from me. Daughter & I have been nagging him for ages to get himself checked out for anything that may be lurking. Daughter is well pleased he has been "caught."  He thinks because his family lived until a reasonable age with a very unhealthy lifestyle, that he will be fine.

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 05:08:44 PM »

My husband must be one of the exceptions to the rule.  He takes getting older very seriously especially as he has osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. He recently went for the blood test for prostate cancer and passed with flying colours.  He has no qualms about doing the test for colon cancer next year and goes for 3 yearly well man checks and has 2 yearly Dexa scans. The doctor was amazed at his blood pressure but he does work out three times a week.  He takes no medication apart from his weekly tablet for his bones and he doesn't like taking that.

I am aware that all this is no guarantee, mum was as fit as a fiddle with a very healthy lifestyle, till the cancer moved in, but at least he is mindful of his health and I am glad  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 06:36:35 PM »

We do the age appropriate tests as they are offered. 

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 08:54:58 AM »

Mine wont go for any tests if he can help it. He misses his respiratory clinic appointments (COPD and still a slight smoker) on a regular basis. He wont have testing for bowel cancer or prostate cancer even though his mum died from bowel cancer at the age of 43 and his dad had prostate cancer in his fifties and died of bowel cancer eventually. He wont even have his flu jab.

I used to mention it to him and get myself quite worried over it all but during some counselling a few years ago this topic came up and the counsellor told me to sit him down and tell him my concerns once and then leave it as it's not my responsibility. He's a 60 year old man, he's a grown up, and I'm not his mum! I did this and have kept to it ever since. He's an intelligent guy - I just don't get it!!

Taz x

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 09:47:08 AM »

I don't get it either but could it be a bit of 'what he doesn't know can't worry him'. If he thinks test may turn something up then the goalposts of his life could move. I have known other men like this.

Our 2nd son will not have the DEXA scan recommended at age 30 due to the family history and the fact his father, uncle and brother all have osteoporosis as did his grandmother.  His other uncle wouldn't either and has now been diagnosed following a bad break.  It is his choice, he won't go looking for things, preferring to deal with them as they arise.

Personally I think prevention can be preferable to cure but it is his choice and, as you say, he is a grown up even though I am his mum  :)

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 10:33:42 AM »

I have my MIL to thank for my hubby taking his health seriously. She made him promise to have relevant health checks regularly before she died, including regular checks for bowel cancer, because of family history. He has a colonoscopy every 5 years and sends his poo samples off. He has also been checked for prostrate cancer several times. The only thing he doesn't take seriously is if he has new lesions on his skin, attributed to mild sarcoidosis. I do have nag about that.

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 11:24:12 AM »

I reckon that it's because he's an eternal optimist - lovely in some ways but worrying in others. He just never thinks that anything bad will happen either to him or to anyone else. I am the exact opposite - pessimist although I prefer the term realist!!

Taz x

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 12:44:04 PM »

I am also a pessimist, always have been. I always expect the worst because then I can't be disappointed but it does suck the joy out of life. Hey ho, we are what we are  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 10:39:55 PM »

Babyjane - I would keep pushing for your son to have the DEXA as prevention really is better than …… and with the NHS being strapped currently he should feel it a privilege that he has the option  ;) …….

I am lucky that mine isn't a sickly soul  ;) OR ELSE!
Pages: [1] 2 3