Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Sinus problems  (Read 12943 times)

Dancinggirl

Sinus problems
« on: March 10, 2015, 03:55:58 PM »

Hi everyone
I have read posts on MM from many women saying they suffer with sinus problems and this does seem to emerge or get worse with the menopause.  I've always had headaches and it was a family joke that I tended to sneeze quite a lot but I never thought of myself as being allergic to anything.  I react badly to the smell of many paints and some perfumes and recently I had some paintwork done in the house and couple of days later I developed a bad headache that came and went over the next 2-3 weeks.
When I first became peri menopausal I did get what must have been menopausal headaches and I have always blamed my hormones or HRT for my headaches. However when I had my one year break from HRT last year my headaches got a lot worse - I think it was mainly down to poor sleep but I also now realise my sinuses had become a lot more sensitive and dried out. I was taking far too many painkillers, especially Anadin Extra which seemed to be the only thing that helped. I have recently really suffered with horrible gnawing pain across my diaphragm and through to my back so my GP has given me PPI drugs to help restore my stomach lining - I may have to have investigations if it doesn't improve.
When I went back on HRT 3 months ago I also started using a saline nasal spray every night and morning and I didn't get a headache for 8 whole weeks. I now think that most of my headaches are to do with my sinuses!!
My nose is often really dried out or constantly dripping. I had lapsed with my use of the saline spray and I'm thinking I should use this regularly as a preventative. I do inhale steam when possible as well.
I feel as though my sinuses are wrecked.  Any thoughts ladies? DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sinus problems
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 04:02:44 PM »

I have suffered with allergic rhinitis since 1977.  I was told that if I lived in Oz it wouldn't happen  ::)

Over the years I have used a Beconase nasal spray.  However, we have found that if DH is thorough with the hoover-thingy particularly in the bedroom my symptoms of sneezing, itchy roof of mouth, irritation to the nasal passages goes away.  I note that the crease in my chin below my lower lip itches like fury when symptoms are re-starting  :-\

I haven't had sinusitis for years thankfully 'cos it felt like having a hang-over for no reason  >:(.  When I bend forwards to put socks on it was SO PAINFUL ……  I haven't noticed that symptoms have been any worse in recent years.  It could be possible to over-use nasal sprays and I think that one should only inhale steam/Vic if one has a cold.  The nasal passages are lubricated for a reason and I do find that when I have symptoms, I don't get colds etc.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 04:11:14 PM by CLKD »

oldsheep

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 04:08:33 PM »

I have chronic allergic rhinitis too. Only stops in hot, sunny, windless weather ( ::) England...).
I use Pirinase nasal spray. Saline also works well.
It's better inside my home since we fitted wood floors. Carpet is a dust heaven, even if you vacuum regularly.
IMHO sinus problems can only be better controlled, they don't go away.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 04:10:35 PM »

Sinus problems and allergic rhinitis are different issues though  ;)

Certainly I have NO symptoms when DH has hoovered thoroughly.  Also when we go B&B away from home, no symptoms, nor in the camper  ::) but we can over-use nasal sprays etc.. 

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 05:40:51 PM »

I suffer with various allergies and for a few years, hayfever too.  The only nasal spray that helps my drippy nose is Prevalin , it acts as a barrier
Xx

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 12:20:25 PM »

I suffer with sinus trouble on a regular basis and have found Neilmed sinus rinse kit very useful - worth a try!