Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Self-confidence  (Read 5299 times)

Micky

Re: Self-confidence
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 05:12:04 PM »

I have never had much self confidence - never felt slim enough, pretty enough,intelligent enough etc etc ...Struggled with low self esteem and has taken me a lot of years, to recognize and realize a lot of the reasons why ....My parents still have a habit of put downs & they are totally blind to it - I just now realise the faults were mainly in them and themselves and not me.. .. Life certainly is a learning curve & trying to understand parents/people etc ..

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 05:21:06 PM »

Old habits die hard  >:( …….

Lynjane

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 11:14:25 AM »

I was always quite self confident, and in some ways getting older/menopause has given me a 'don't care' attitude in that, my hair/clothes/nails don't have to be so perfect, (those things used to be mega big for me)! But in other ways I am less confident, I too get upset and offended by mostly imagined slights! But the biggest thing for me since the meno started at 53 (just over 9 years ago) is that the ageing progress in it's self is chipping away at my confidence as an attractive woman. I try very hard to keep my weight down, after having been a size UK 12 all my life, I went up to a full size 14 in the first years of meno, and have never got back down! I have always been told I look young for my age, but I now wince when I catch sight of myself in shop window etc...age is beginning to show, and I really don't like it! 😔 I try to be grateful, for reasonably good health, a good life etc, but I get so down it's hard to bounce back, can anyone relate?

Ju Ju

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 11:53:07 AM »

I'm very fortunate being married to a man who is very caring, patient and loving. He has almost convinced me I'm loveable. I don't know where I would be without that input. With his encouragement I have worked with a life coach and a councillor, I am more at peace. I may not completely eradicate the negative messages from childhood, but I don't forget that I'm OK, whatever is going on, when others are being unpleasant or if I'm feeling rough or low.

Rowan

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 12:36:50 PM »

I always had self confidence in my appearance and was told often that I was very pretty but never by my mother. When  I started to see things that I did not like I did something about it, very cost effective and now I don't worry anymore.

My OH is not one for compliments about my appearance or otherwise, the best I get is "If you weren't alright I would tell you" I have to be content with that ::)

I will never have the tiny perfect figurer I use to have but it will do now, I still look after my skin and hair and what is more important my health. 

I have always been confident in social situations, but one thing I have learned with age is that not everyone is going to like you and I am not going to like every one I meet and the best thing is that it does not matter.  Took me a while to process that one.

Lynjane

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 01:13:31 PM »

Hi Silver Lady, yes I know what you mean, I too have 'done something about it' and am grateful for the difference it's made! And you're so right about not liking everyone you meet, I seem to have very little tolerance with people I find tiresome theses days! I always make a big effort with my appearance and my husband is quite good about compliments, always tells me I look lovely, so I can't complain about that. However, he has very little understanding about the menopause, I've shown him stuff from this site so he knows it's not just me. But tbh I don't think any man will ever really comprehend what it does to your body/confidence/physc, not even doctors!! I think the crunch point is that...in my head I'm still in my late 30's, and really dislike the reality of my 63 years! But still, it's definitely better than the alternative!!! 😉
Pages: 1 [2]