Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Hospital appointment re gall stones.  (Read 16986 times)

Ju Ju

Hospital appointment re gall stones.
« on: December 08, 2014, 05:36:29 PM »

Well as expected, I will have my gall bladder removed, hopefully within 2 months. We discussed the risk of leaving things and trying to manage by diet, which obviously isn't working very well up to now. I asked about dumping syndrome, but was told that is usually a complication with gastric ops, rather than gall bladder removal ops, though diarrhoea can be a problem in a small percentage. They can't guarantee that the pain will go. To be honest, I've had enough. I had another painful attack early Sunday morning. Not as severe, as the volterol pesseries took the edge off, so no drama. I also have been having mild to moderate grumbling pains since October as well. I am always thinking whether I can get help if I get an attack while out. Well onwards and upwards!

Joyce

Re: Hospital appointment re gall stones.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 06:05:15 PM »

My mum had hers removed and it helped her a lot. She also had a hiatus hernia which was operated on at same time.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 06:49:40 PM »

'they can't guarantee that the pain will go'   â€¦â€¦â€¦.  :-\ …...

Hattie

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 07:16:53 PM »

Ju ju

I only notice a very slight achey feeling very rarely now and think that is where my gallbladder was - certainly not the amount of pain there was when the stones were trying to push out. Maybe they are just covering themselves by saying no guarantees that the pain will go - you sort of expect it to go once the gallbladder is no longer there with stones in.

I just took things very steady and rested a lot after the op - nurse told me to listen to my body all the time - the lower abdomen on one side was a bit tender for a while - think this is where they pummeled a bit with the laproscopic instruments.

They put me on a morphine thing i could control after the op but was sent home with normal pain relief - had lots of cushions to sit on in passenger seat on the way home from hospital.

Sure you'd much rather be somewhere else than a hospital but i was glad to eventually see two stones given to me in a pot rather than having them inside me.

Take care

Hattie X

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 07:23:55 PM by Hattie »

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 07:26:58 PM »

Do whatever you need to feel comfortable.
Good luck Ju Ju.

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 07:36:30 PM »

Thank you. Hattie, your experience is helpful. I was also given good advice on the low fat diet. I had been using minimal amounts of oil for cooking, but it should be using marg, the synthetic stuff I would normally avoid. And I should be looking with greater care at fat content on ingredient lists. And I thought I was being careful. Christmas is going to be interesting when it comes to food!

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »

Great that you have an end in sight now Ju Ju. My sis said she was available for a cancellation so was told on the Friday and done on the Monday. She had to stay in overnight due to other health issues (she had a tumour removed from her pituitary so produces no adrenaline) her health issues make things challenging. She would have had day surgery other wise. She was fine and up and back to normal within two weeks.
She has had no pain since but does have occasional bowel issues.

Hope it happens quickly for you.

Have you tried the spray oils...you use so little.

Honeyb
x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 07:59:52 PM »

Glad to hear you might have some relief through the operation Ju Ju and hope you manage to get through the Christmas period without too much pain...

Hurdity x

Ju Ju

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 10:09:36 PM »

It going to be done in day surgery, which is amazing. I have heard different stories about the op. My dad had the op at age 85 and hasn't looked back. He recovered quickly. A young friend found the air they pump into you very uncomfortable, but it dispersed within 2 weeks. Another friend was very ill from infection afterwards, following an emergency op. She had become jaundiced beforehand. She was sent home as normal, but became very ill and ended up in ITU for a while, but is fine now a year on and no other ill effects. Bit off putting, as we visited her several times, but I know this is rare.

cheekygal

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 10:48:34 PM »

Since I had my GB removed in October, I have discovered many people I know have had this op with no after effects and have been able to eat anything without problems.  My bowel issues resolved a couple of weeks after surgery, and up till last week I still had some lower abdominal tenderness.  I had to have open surgery due to the level of inflammation, but the majority of people can have keyhole and be back to functioning as normal within a 2-4 weeks.   :)

CG X

Ju Ju

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 12:53:25 PM »

Thank you CG. That is so reassuring. The sooner I get the op the better. I'm getting more pain, particularly when I am tired every day, though not the intense unbearable pain of an attack. It's so wearing. I try to cope without pain killers as much as possible, as paracetamol preparations make constipation even worse and the voltarol pessaries shouldn't be taken too often, as they can cause blood clots.

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 12:02:02 PM »

Just had the hospital on the phone. Having the op on the 23rd of yes this month! I shall let everyone else take care of Christmas!

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 12:07:11 PM »

Sooner the better Ju Ju. Yep everyone else can take of Christmas & you. Fingers crossed for you.  :hug:

Milamam

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 01:24:14 PM »

Fingers crossed, Ju Ju! Yes, the sooner the better!

Milamam

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 01:33:35 PM »

You will be able to sit back and enjoy the end of the festive season.

Wishing you the very best of luck. Keep in touch and let us know how it goes.

Honeyb
x
Pages: [1] 2 3 4