Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: re: mammogram  (Read 6556 times)

LizeeeH

re: mammogram
« on: November 13, 2014, 12:58:32 PM »

so I plucked up the courage and went this morning.....heart was pounding out of my chest, hate this anxiety! what I want to know is can the lady that does the xrays tell if theirs anything wrong. just wishing I'd asked her because we have to wait 6 weeks for results :(

Liz xxxx

libby1

Re: re: mammogram
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 01:01:23 PM »

Well done for going  :)

No, the report is done by someone else.

Libby
x

tiger74

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 01:22:57 PM »

The procedure is normally carried out by a radiographer who is not qualified to make a full interpretation of the mammogram so it would be unprofessional of that person to make any comment if asked.  Generally, mammograms are interpreted and reported on by qualified radiologists. 

6 weeks sounds like a long time to wait.  In the area where I live (southern England), for routine screening mammography it's only a couple of weeks to wait for the result (or if the mammogram is done because a patient has been referred because of breast problems then the patient is told on the day, a "one-stop shop" is how it's described, albeit not a shop I really wanted to visit).  Hopefully you will feel able to put it to the back of your mind now that the actual procedure is done and perhaps you will hear back sooner than 6 weeks anyway.  I know it's nerve-wracking waiting for test results so wish you all the best.

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 01:45:19 PM »

Was this your first one Lizee?  If so, don't be surprised (or too worried) if you get a call-back.  It's quite normal for the first one apparently as they don't have anything to compare it to, this was explained to me when I had my first one and sure enough I did get a call-back to attend the breast clinic at our nearest hospital.  Everything was fine though, it's more a routine thing I think.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 01:57:45 PM »

I've never had to wait longer than 2-3 weeks for my results. Although with staff shortages in many areas it is possible.  Results for many tests are taking longer to process these days. Doesn't make it easy for those waiting on the results though.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 04:08:26 PM »

When I had my first one on nhs two years ago they said it takes 2-3 weeks for letter to arrive so when my letter arrived at the end of the week I nearly had heart failure as I know that they quicker they get back in touch :o but thankfully all was fine but wish they hadn't told me about the 2-3 weeks.

I have severe health anxiety but I found that once I had had the mammo as there was nothing I could do about the result I decided to enjoy myself as mich as I could in case it was bad news ::) I know the logic is skewed but it helped me!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 04:19:35 PM »

Had the radiographer been concerned she would have taken more 'views' or asked a Consultant to view the film.  It seems a long while to wait though, usually 2-3 weeks at most.  You may find that the letter arrives sooner though.

Browse round!

LizeeeH

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 04:37:57 PM »

Thanks for the replies!
No its not my first mammo greyhoundgal think this is about my 3rd?

CLKD it was at the mobile unit that comes to town so no consultants available :) and she just took the 4 usual xrays.

They gave us all the little note to say it could be 5/6 weeks before reults as their is a back log of work.

Lizxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 04:54:01 PM »

That explains it then!  However, even in a Mobile unit if there were any concerns I would expect the Radiographer to arrange for an follow up sooner rather than later! 

tiger74

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 08:39:36 PM »

Had the radiographer been concerned she would have taken more 'views' or asked a Consultant to view the film. 

I disagree. This may have been the case several years ago and perhaps in the private sector but is certainly not the case in the NHS breast clinic I attend regularly. 

In my very recent, extensive experience of having mammograms, radiographers do not, in the case of routine screening make any clinical assessment of the x-rays they have just taken (the radiographers at my local NHS hospital are not qualified to do this and wouldn't have time to do it anyway).  They will check that the picture is of good quality e.g. not blurred, but will not take more x-rays on a hunch that there may be something wrong. Neither do they have a consultant radiologist on tap to view x-ray images for people attending for routine screening. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:59:43 PM by tiger74 »

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 09:47:55 PM »

I do see your point tiger74 .

However I think CLKD was perhaps trying to offer some reassurance to a worried member.

No harm in that surely.

Honeyb
x

tiger74

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 10:21:46 PM »

Trying to give reassurance is fine, well-meant and kind and I sincerely hope that all is well - my understanding is that this is the case for the majority of patients attending for routine screening.   

However, personally I prefer any reassurance offered to me to be based on factually correct information, but I recognise that I am very keen on facts and throughout my various health issues I always wanted it "straight", "warts and all" and never wanted niceties (a.k.a "bovine excrement") nor to be given false hope.  I construed from the post that "it must all be OK because the radiographer didn't take any extra x-rays", maybe others construed it differently and took comfort from the post - in which case, I'm sorry if I've disillusioned anyone.   
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:27:49 PM by tiger74 »

tiger74

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 10:35:32 PM »

Any news Liz?  Hope you hear soon and all is well with the mammogram.

LizeeeH

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 04:23:22 PM »

Hi Tiger

Yes got results and was invited back in 3 years time ;)

tiger74

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 08:14:30 PM »

Good news ;D