Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sore, extremely dry chapped lips  (Read 20274 times)

oldsheep

Sore, extremely dry chapped lips
« on: November 17, 2014, 09:09:59 PM »

I've always used tons of lip balm and any lipstick I put on lasts about 15 mins before fading, but it's never been this bad - I even missed swimming today.
It's especially the top lip, which has a red band right in the middle but no visible blister. It's very tight, stretched (can't smile etc) and sore feeling and so dry. Sometimes burns. I'm applying Kiehls no 1 balm every 1/2 hour. Trying to drink more water.
Anyone have any other remedies or ideas? Is this another meno thing? (I'm on HRT )

Dancinggirl

Re: Sore, extremely dry chapped lips
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 09:25:03 PM »

Do you take Omega 3 oils? I use Blisteze when my lips get very sore in winter it seems to be the only thing that helps.  Dg x

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 10:01:50 PM »

Vaseline cocoa butter stick. Scrumptious. I put on at night, still there in the morning.

rosebud57

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 12:01:49 PM »

You could have an infection.  Try some Germolene or my favorite 'teangi'.  Its a tea tree and witch hazel cream that also has some zinc in it.  Useful for anything skin related and usually works if everything else fails (even for cold sores).  Go to www.laneshealth.com if you want to give it a go.

PS If you decide to buy the lanes site transfers you to amazon to purchase.  Check out the reviews there it has 5 stars.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 12:05:34 PM by rosebud57 »

oldsheep

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 05:33:51 PM »

thank you! I'm nearly out of kiehls so will look at your suggestions. It's slightly better but still a problem in the middle of the top lip.
Daren't wear lipstick. I swam today but smeared my mouth with lip balm before and after.

oldsheep

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 11:02:43 AM »

I've ordered the teangi and hope it arrives soon. Still having problems with the top lip. GP gave me steroid cream which doesn't work. I'm using lip balms every 20 mins all day.
Can't even kiss my husband  :(
It feels burny like a cold sore, and tight. When I look at or touch the lip it doesn't look or feel dry.

rosebud57

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 12:49:55 PM »

That good.  You will find it feels a little hot when you first put it on but I'm sure after a few days you will notice the difference.  Don't forget to moisturize as well though.

Nata

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 03:02:35 AM »

Have you tried a Abreva  cream?

thorntrees

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 08:48:57 AM »

Hi Nata, I have very dry lips due to nerve damage down the main facial nerve following a fall some years ago. This means the blood supply to the lips is reduced and they feel tight and burn as you describe. Always worse in winter as the cold outside and heating inside make them even drier. I have tried many things over the years and could do with shares in Vaseline!! What I have found helps is a lip salve with beeswax/propolis in which is very soothing and healing. Being a natural product it doesn't contain anything harsh or stingy. Various companies market them , just google-bee products or similar!.
Hope this helps.

Thorntrees

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 01:16:08 PM »

Vaseline! either from the pot or in a stick form.  Apply every 10 mins until symptoms begin to ease, then as often as you can remember even when the soreness goes.  I find I lick my lips more often at this time of year and the air is very drying!

mazzy

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 07:26:13 PM »

A friend told me to pierce an Evening Primrose capsule and rub the liquid into my lips before getting into bed and I must say it worked for me but my Daughter said it did nothing for her.

Worth a try.

Cassie

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 07:39:57 PM »

Blistex works a treat.

oldsheep

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 07:04:16 PM »

I've tried vaseline, blistex, beeswax (although not one with propolis resin - do you have a name please? Is it Burts?)
Think the teangi helped a bit for a while but soon wears off. I suppose the camphor makes it sting? It tastes a bit weird too, but I'll persist.
It does feel like cold weather + nerve damage as burns, yes.
thank you everyone x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 08:16:48 PM »

It really is when you apply it and how often.  The only time my lips etc. didn't heal was when I was having radiation treatment.  Other times, fortunately, I've found Savlon or vaseline sticks work well.  As long as I remember to re-apply them  ::)

Pixiegirl

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 05:10:15 PM »

Hi there ladies,
                 I developed extremely sore and cracked lips this summer. To the extent that I was drinking through a straw and avoiding eating as it was actively painful. The sides of my mouth would crack and the lips themselves would swell, the skin become tight and then peel, sometimes to bleeding. I consulted the GP who told me it was a form of "perioral dermatitis" and common in women between 35 and 45??????I was also told that make up and soaps can be causal factors. I was given a prescription for four weeks of antibiotics which although initially worked ultimately did not help at all. Then I received a cream which is supposed suppress the immune system enough to allow the site to heal, again this was for four weeks. I'm afraid to say that I still have the problem with my lips and mouth area. One thing that did make some difference was the toothpaste and lip salve I purchased from "Green People". They are a free from company, and not really expensive at all. The hunt continues for a cure for this one. I have also been compelled to take antihistamines when the itching and burning has become intolerable with good affect. Glycerin from Boots has been a life saver as everything else stings, even Vaseline.
Pages: [1] 2