Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Supply problem Premique - time to switch?  (Read 10864 times)

Happysol

Supply problem Premique - time to switch?
« on: November 15, 2014, 07:48:28 PM »

Not posted for long time but would now be grateful of some wise words!
Am 46 and post-meno (last period 22 months ago and started HRT 13 months without a bleed).  GP started me on Premique 0.625/5mg ('medium') 9 months ago and after a few initial side effects, have been getting along fine.  Went for my repeat prescription from Boots to be told there is a problem with supply and they can not get it.  They said that I could try another pharmacy who might have some already in stock or to go back to GP for a different brand.  Whilst OK on Premique, some of you suggested Femoston Conti when I was having some side effects, as its progesterone was perhaps better.
Next week, I want to go armed with info to my GP as if this is the one for me to try, then I need to be assertive!  The Premique was classified as medium dose and the Femoston Conti 1/5 as low dose - will I therefore need something 'extra' if I switch to this…or not?  Or is there something else out there I should be asking for.  Appreciate all comments and thoughts ladies ;-)  Many thanks

Hurdity

Re: Supply problem Premique - time to switch?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 08:02:28 PM »

Hi Happysol

This is a tricky one isn't it? Why on earth is there not a higher dose Femoston product for post-menopausal women, which is the one combi oral HRT preparation which contains a progestogen very close to progesterone and therefore with the fewest side effects?

I would suggest that if you went from Premique to Femoston Conti you might get a resumption of symptoms due to the reduction/change in oestrogen.

However all the other HRT preparations contain the bio-identical estradiol which you might prefer.

My suggestion if you want a tablet HRT would be try Indivina because the progestogen is the same type and the same dose as you are on at the moment so you would only be changing one thing at a time. Your body would still have to adjust to the different oestrogen and there may a settling in period of a few months.

Alternatively you could decide to go for a transdermal mode of delivery ie patch or gel along wth separate progesterone. I see the progestogen you are already taking is available separately too. Gel would be more easy to adjust but personally I am happy with patches. Despite what it says though if you decide to go for patches I would suggest 75 mcg would be better for you - as a replacement for the medium dose Premique. Although it is classed as medium dose, I am still on 50 mcg at 61 and would have definitely asked for a higher dose at your age!

If you want to be completely bio-identical then you could go for micronised progesterone (Utrogestan) but some women find it is too sedating when taken every day.

Other than that you could try to ask for double the Femoston conti dose if the GP will let you try it.

All the products and information are listed in the menu on the left under HRT Preparations:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatment.php

Hope this helps  :)

Hurdity x

Happysol

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 04:15:31 PM »

Thanks Hurdity.
It is a tricky one!  But your words did help…
When you wrote that you are on 50mcg and that I may need 75mcg - do you mean of the oestrogen in a patch form?  There are only 2 post meno patch options, which do not add up to 75mcg (I don't think?), so are you meaning from the other list of general oestrogen patches? 
Thanks again
x

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 07:12:30 PM »

Hello Happysol.

It may help you to know that a 75 mg oestrogen only patch is available from Evorel, I'm currently using one cut in half accompanied by Utrogestan 100 used vaginally.

Take care and I hope you get your supply worked out.

K.