Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New member -27 years using HRT  (Read 5052 times)

Patricia D

New member -27 years using HRT
« on: November 12, 2014, 02:40:37 PM »

I started the menopause at the age of 40. I asked to be put on HRT and was lucky to live in an area that had a HRT clinic. After the first month my life change for the better. I was on the Combination patches, which I stayed on for 20 years. After which my doctor desperately wanted to come off. I  made the decision to go onto a patch which stopped my monthly period. I now put a patch on once a week. My problem now is, like other members, have a problem getting them due to a manufacturing problem!!! My doctor has given me a prescription for the Femoston Conti 0.5mg/2,5mg. After reading some of the comments, am feeling a little uneasy about taking oral HRT, I have been very lucky never having any negative effects and am wondering if I should stop. Are there any other members who have taken HRT for over twenty years and still on it use that can offer any advice.

Joyce

Re: New member -27 years using HRT
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 03:39:18 PM »

I'm still on HRT after about 20 odd years. Oestrogen only, though I am trying to wean myself off it.

Patricia D

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 03:56:29 PM »

Have  you always been on that ?

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 04:07:34 PM »

Hi Patricia - welcome to the forum. It's great to hear of someone being offered HRT into their sixties.

The guidelines are definitely that after the age of 60 oral HRT should be avoided if at all possible due to the slightly increased risk of stroke so I would ask for the alternative Evorel patches or a gel plus separate progesterone. I take it that you have been on FemSeven as this seems to be the one with manufacturing problems although there is still nothing to this effect showing up on the drug shortage sites?

If you have a uterus you will always need the progesterone element.

Have a good look around the site for information including the menu on the left of the screen.

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 04:37:01 PM »

Yes, first it was tablets, then gel & now patches.

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 06:52:29 PM »

And I have only just started HRT ( in desperation ) this year, age 60!

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 07:23:36 PM »

Hi Patricia - just to say  :welcomemm: from me too!

I hope my doc is happy for me to stay on it when I'm 67, if I'm healthy and still want it that is! I'm 61 now but only been on it for 7 1/2 years.

Hurdity x  :)

Patricia D

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 08:48:18 PM »

Hi Patricia - welcome to the forum. It's great to hear of someone being offered HRT into their sixties.

The guidelines are definitely that after the age of 60 oral HRT should be avoided if at all possible due to the slightly increased risk of stroke so I would ask for the alternative Evorel patches or a gel plus separate progesterone. I take it that you have been on FemSeven as this seems to be the one with manufacturing problems although there is still nothing to this effect showing up on the drug shortage sites?

Have a good look around the site for information including the menu on the left of the screen.

Taz x

peegeetip

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 10:16:22 AM »

After 27 years HRT seems to be doing you more good than not. Congrats.
Here's to many more.

Don't get too worried about taking the tablet form. A lot of us are :)

Just to say again. The recent BMS guidelines are saying "no arbitrary limit" to how long we take HRT. I've added this post which summarizes the details in there.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/181726.php

Scroll down to the "New HRT Guidelines released" part on that link.

I've added in the main points below if anyone has a problem with the link.

"The new guidelines include the following key points:

An individual decision - each patient must receive proper and comprehensive information from her doctor so that she can make a fully-informed choice. Whether or not to use HRT is an individual decision.

HRT dosage - should be calculated on an individual basis, as should overall regimen and duration.

Annual evaluation - every woman on hormone replacement therapy must have her treatment evaluated once a year for pros and cons.

No arbitrary limits on duration - the duration of HRT usage should not be restricted by arbitrary limits. "If symptoms persist, the benefits of hormone therapy usually outweigh the risks."

HRT more favorable for younger patients - when deciding on HRT usage, the patient as well as the doctor must remember that there is a more favorable benefit/risk profile for patients who start therapy before they are 60 years old.

Premature ovarian insufficiency - patients should be on HRT at least until the average age of the menopause.

Older patients - patients over 60 who are prescribed HRT should initially be on lower doses and ideally with a transdermal route of administration.

R&D must focus on risks and benefits - as people continue having longer lifespans, research and development needs to concentrate on maximizing benefits and minimizing risks and side effects. "This will optimize quality of life and facilitate the primary prevention of long-term conditions which create a personal, social and economic burden."

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:26:00 AM by peegeetip »

Patricia D

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 01:12:15 PM »

Taz x
After 27 years HRT seems to be doing you more good than not. Congrats.
Here's to many more.

Don't get too worried about taking the tablet form. A lot of us are :)

Just to say again. The recent BMS guidelines are saying "no arbitrary limit" to how long we take HRT. I've added this post which summarizes the details in there.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/181726.php

Scroll down to the "New HRT Guidelines released" part on that link.

I've added in the main points below if anyone has a problem with the link.

"The new guidelines include the following key points:

An individual decision - each patient must receive proper and comprehensive information from her doctor so that she can make a fully-informed choice. Whether or not to use HRT is an individual decision.

HRT dosage - should be calculated on an individual basis, as should overall regimen and duration.

Annual evaluation - every woman on hormone replacement therapy must have her treatment evaluated once a year for pros and cons.

No arbitrary limits on duration - the duration of HRT usage should not be restricted by arbitrary limits. "If symptoms persist, the benefits of hormone therapy usually outweigh the risks."

HRT more favorable for younger patients - when deciding on HRT usage, the patient as well as the doctor must remember that there is a more favorable benefit/risk profile for patients who start therapy before they are 60 years old.

Premature ovarian insufficiency - patients should be on HRT at least until the average age of the menopause.

Older patients - patients over 60 who are prescribed HRT should initially be on lower doses and ideally with a transdermal route of administration.

R&D must focus on risks and benefits - as people continue having longer lifespans, research and development needs to concentrate on maximizing benefits and minimizing risks and side effects. "This will optimize quality of life and facilitate the primary prevention of long-term conditions which create a personal, social and economic burden."

Patricia D

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 01:32:32 PM »

Taz x
Thank you so much for the information Taz. Because I have never had a real problem, It comes as a real shock to hear the problems that other ladies have experienced. Having said that, last year due to the shortage of the FemSevenI went on the Evorel Conti which did make me bleed quite badly. Thankfully the FemSeven became available and all was well. I must say how interesting reading all the pros and cons from other members. For instance I had no idea that there is a gel available. I will certainly have a more informed chat with my doctor.

Thank you, Patricia D x