Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 67

Author Topic: It's not Christmas yet!  (Read 142977 times)

Penguin

Re: It's not Christmas yet!
« Reply #750 on: August 26, 2023, 04:10:26 PM »

I saw a post on Facebook today that said it's 17 Fridays until Christmas!!!

jaypo

« Reply #751 on: August 26, 2023, 04:35:41 PM »

Nooooooooooo penguin  ;D

Haha some of us will be on our annual cruise 😎  ;D

Penguin

« Reply #752 on: August 26, 2023, 05:04:49 PM »

We have already planned and booked our Christmas market trips! Marseille at the start of December just me and hubby, and Baden-Baden mid December me and one of the kids.  They have been planned since May 🤣🤣🤣

Penguin

« Reply #753 on: August 26, 2023, 05:05:19 PM »

I do love Christmas so am likely to be very annoying on this thread...

SarahT

« Reply #754 on: August 26, 2023, 06:30:56 PM »

Stop this right now! ⛄🎄

Am still desperately hanging on to the fact we are still (just) in August.  And yet. This post..... has made me get a teeny bit excited. Its the decorations that do it for me. I did buy a hand carved nativity set in July! Don't do religion, but oh, the donkey is so sweet!

mind you, we  haven't actually managed a summer break yet!

Penguin

« Reply #755 on: August 26, 2023, 06:45:52 PM »

Lol I'm done with August and summer completely! After my massive overheating experience in Turkey the week before last, the countdown to Christmas can begin 🤣

Where on earth did you see a hand carved nativity set in July? Without actually searching for one? Come on, confess, were you googling christmas decsin July??!!!!

SarahT

« Reply #756 on: August 26, 2023, 07:06:47 PM »

How dare you insinuate I am currently dressed a as Christmas Elf right now making a list for Santa?!

No, I found the set at a local car boot sale. Paid an entire pound for the set, then had to sneak it into the house as my lifelong suffering husband is the one who has to get all my decs in and out of the loft savvy year!  I shall think of You this  year as I do have a ceramic penguin dec too!!

Penguin

« Reply #757 on: August 26, 2023, 07:12:29 PM »

I have a number of them! Perhaps we can exchange Christmas tree pics? When do you put yours up? I was always the first Sunday in Advent, but then I found I was peaking too early 🤣

Penguin

« Reply #758 on: August 26, 2023, 07:14:03 PM »

As ab aside, Elf is my favourite Christmas movie! Alongside the 1950s Christmas Carol movie with Alastair (?) Sim. Its been relegated to Ch5 now but I watch it every year ❤️

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #759 on: August 26, 2023, 07:18:22 PM »

I have several pieces from Bethlehem, produced by local artisans.  In olive wood.  I'm not religious at all .......... we have a tree if I can find a space for it: in the attic, ready dressed to pull down, plug in and hey presto! Lit.

Last year I got rid of a lot of decs that I won't use, apart from a few from the 1950s.  I took them to the food bank in November. 

SarahT

« Reply #760 on: August 26, 2023, 07:23:00 PM »

I put the tree up mid December and always take it down New Years Eve as I can't bear starting a new year with the decs still up.

It's an old artificial tree the first one my mum and dad owned from 1961 so it's the family tree. I lost my dad 14 years ago and my mum this year so this year will feel a bit mixed of sad and happy. Many of the decorations are old glass ones from when my mum was small. They go high up the branches so our cats can't get to those ones. The tree is battered and knackered a bit like me! But it is very special to me. I send a photo each year to my siblings. The fragile fairy my dad loved so much now sits beneath it. Many of the decorations are from people I love or loved it they are no longer here.

And Sound of Music for me each Christmas, me and my sister no every single word. And most of the script too!

CLKD

« Reply #761 on: August 26, 2023, 07:27:52 PM »

Trees causes emotive feelings - well done on keeping yours!  I remember that Grandma had a bay window where the tree stood every year. 

SarahT

« Reply #762 on: August 26, 2023, 07:34:48 PM »

You're not wrong there. I can be a difficult season for many. I think as so get older it becomes a lot more emotive, which is not such a bad thing, it makes me realise how lucky I am to have good friends and family around me too, as well as a nod to those who have gone.

Whilst clearing my mum's house we came across lots of the school ' artwork ' we all did in infant school! The Christmas Story retold in four childish pages!  They are hideously bad but so precious. We decided not to split things up but leave them all together. Strange, now I think my grandmother's never had trees up at all

Penguin

« Reply #763 on: August 26, 2023, 07:36:21 PM »

Oh CLKD I bet they are lovely! I'm not religious either, more spiritual than religious but I do feel different at Christmas,  it gets to me.

Sarah T that sounds lovely re your tree, I would love to have one with that history We don't have a family one like that, ours from my childhood had about 200 different bits that you had to put together and it ended up being binned by my parents at some point before my dad died. We get a new real one each year now, have tried to grow pot ones after Christmas but it never works and I'm always disappointed.  I do have a lovely collection of tree decorations though, some from childhood and others wevd collected over the years from holidays etc. I can remember where each and every one came from, so hoping to pass this on to my children when they're older.

CLKD

« Reply #764 on: August 26, 2023, 07:38:42 PM »

What do U do with the real tree Penguin?  Some Zoos take them for the animals.  Some Councils pulp them for recycling. 

One can hire a tree apparently: it's dug up, potted, the company take it back; unpot and replant it.  Apparently 1 gets the same tree each year  :-\  ???

I also decorate the holly tree outside the front door.  No one else seems to notice  :'(
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 67