Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 67

Author Topic: It's not Christmas yet!  (Read 142954 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: It's not Christmas yet!
« Reply #495 on: August 09, 2020, 06:57:47 PM »

The best-known version of "How Much is That Doggy in the Window" was the original, recorded by Patti Page on December 18, 1952, and released in January 1953

Mercury didn't have a good UK following.  Therefore, a recording by Lita Roza was the one most widely heard in the UK, reaching No. 1 on the UK Singles Chart in 1953.[2] It distinguished Roza as the first British woman to have a number-one hit in the UK chart. It was also the first song with a question in the title to reach number 1.

The most popular version of 'buttons and bows' was recorded by Dinah Shore in 1947 and reached the charts the following year

CLKD

« Reply #496 on: October 11, 2020, 01:58:44 PM »

If U usually buy a turkey but have less people expected this year: do buy as large a fresh bird as possible and get the butcher to quarter it, cook what is necessary and freeze it raw rather than have farmers going out of business because people reject large birds [though I can never understand why any1 would want turkey anyway  :-\  :-X ]
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 04:48:09 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

« Reply #497 on: November 26, 2020, 11:55:44 AM »

I've fetched my cards from the loft yesterday and typed a list earlier 2day
Put a few small decorations up  8)

CLKD

« Reply #498 on: November 26, 2020, 01:28:42 PM »

Oh I have long strands of hop climbing over the trees in the garden :-) and our holly bush is full of red berries :-)

CLKD

« Reply #499 on: November 29, 2020, 01:32:05 PM »

:'( - I wonder whether the producer will get compensation.  It was bound to happen due to the spread - not that the main papers/news have mentioned it at all  :-\.   

All 10,500 turkeys will be culled at a farm in North Yorkshire after bird flu was confirmed at the site.

The H5N8 strain of avian influenza was found at a turkey fattening premises near Northallerton on Saturday.
The birds will be humanely culled to stop the disease spreading, the Department for Rural Affairs (Defra) said, as it investigates the source.
Risk to public health from the virus is very low, Public Health England (PHE) added.

A temporary control zone of 3km (1.86 m) and 10km (6.21 m) is in place around the infected site.

jaypo

« Reply #500 on: November 29, 2020, 01:50:28 PM »

Oh yes,I've just read this,something else to add to a disastrous year

sheila99

« Reply #501 on: November 29, 2020, 02:20:37 PM »

Can they still use them? Not the poorly one obviously but many will still be OK.

CLKD

« Reply #502 on: November 29, 2020, 03:21:00 PM »

Nope.  The whole flock will be culled.  There are several in the South of England that have been culled too, media is trying to keep it quiet.  With over 10,500 how would the producers be able to tell which are affected?  :-\.

I've put some of my decorations into the trees around the house ;-). 

CLKD

« Reply #503 on: December 02, 2020, 05:33:03 PM »

Tree is up :-). Plugged in, lights worked, hey presto!  Lights and decorations hung in the trees outside.  No cards written yet ........ might bother later in the year  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #504 on: December 05, 2020, 02:23:12 PM »

Turkeys at a farm in Norfolk are to be slaughtered after cases of bird flu were confirmed.

A number of birds were found to have the H5N8 strain of avian flu, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) said.
It has set up a temporary 3km (1.9 mile) exclusion zone around the farm, near Attleborough, in an effort to limit the spread of the disease.

:'(

sheila99

« Reply #505 on: December 05, 2020, 04:24:14 PM »

I don't know for definite but I think they'll be compensated, you are anything else the government tells you has to be slaughtered (foot & mouth, bovine TB etc).  They get some back from the tb cases as any meat without lesians goes in the food chain. And a surprising number have no lesions at all so didn't actually have it despite the test showing positive. In fact they're probably the ones that should be kept and bred from having been exposed to it but not developed it.

CLKD

« Reply #506 on: December 05, 2020, 04:49:00 PM »

sheila - only a 1st World country would slaughter cattle on such a scale  :'(

sheila99

« Reply #507 on: December 05, 2020, 05:12:57 PM »

Tell that to the acting PM Carrie Symonds. Apparently it was her that had the badger cull in Derbyshire stopped last year though it has gone ahead this year. It takes a certain mentality to think it's OK for any animal to die a slow, painful death from TB. 32,000 cattle slaughtered last year, I think it was around 100,000 before the cull. And all because it was such a political hot potato they didn't get a grip on it when it was confined to Devon/Cornwall. We haven't had it yet but most of our neighbours have.

CLKD

« Reply #508 on: December 05, 2020, 05:29:54 PM »

What annoys me is that none of the badgers culled have had a post mortem 2 C if any actually have TB!  DEFRA thinks it's 'not necessary' so how will we ever know the truth?

It's all costing the Tax Payer after all.

CLKD

« Reply #509 on: December 17, 2020, 06:34:37 PM »

Any1 put the sprouts on yet?  ;D. I love 'em.  We grow over 200 varieties in the UK ;-).  How do U like yours?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 67