Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: hello - wondering about HRT, is it for me?  (Read 3782 times)

Snowgirl

hello - wondering about HRT, is it for me?
« on: November 02, 2014, 02:55:41 PM »

Hello,  I have recently joined the forum, hoping it will help me with some key decisions. I am suffering from very bad overheating and sweating, which are disturbing my sleep at night and also impacting on my daytimes. I feel more tired than I should and have been to see my GP twice. She was reluctant to look at HRT, more keen on antidepressants or another drug, the name of which I can't remember but it's used to lower blood pressure! I have rejected these options because I have Menieries and taking a drug which has side effect of dizziness is the last thing I need.

I am almost at the point of saying go for HRT but I am worried about it, because I am a migraine sufferer and since I would have to take both types of hormones, I am frightful of being laid low with the migraines again. My periods have tailed off, last one was in April and only positive of that  is that so have the migraines.

The other factor is that I am about to start a new job, after a few months of not working, and I am anxious about that, dreading the discomfort and embarrassment of the hot sweats and flushes but also not sure about the impact of starting HRT and potentially getting hit with side effects from that.

any advice would be gratefully received.

Dancinggirl

Re: hello - wondering about HRT, is it for me?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 03:16:19 PM »

Hi Snowgirl and welcome to MM
It is so tough when the GP is rather anti HRT - we all want our GPs to give the options in a balanced way so it helps us make an informed choice.
Do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen - lots soy great stuff to discover.
If you suffer with migraines then it may be a matter of trying different preparations to see what suits you.  You might like to try the patches first as I believe they are often better for migraine sufferers. There is also the option of a Mirena with  oestrogen in Gel or patch form - in theory the progesterone is absorbed more locally so is less likely give negative side effects.
HRT is well worth trying to see if it suits you  - I'd try one of the sequential patches first though.
DG x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 04:25:35 PM »

Hi Snowgirl - welcome to the forum.

I agree with Dancinggirl that patches or gel are probably better for migraine sufferers than HRT in pill form. This seems to be advised by the Migraine Trust too http://www.migrainetrust.org/factsheet-menopause-midlife-and-migraine-10906

Your doc probably mentioned Dixarit which is a blood pressure drug. Friends of mine have had great success with this drug controlling flushes but it doesn't work for everyone.

Taz x :)

bramble

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 04:42:59 PM »

Is Dixarit the same on Clonidine? That's another BP drug that helps. Ditto with some ADs at lower doses.
Have a read of all the info to the left of the screen. There is lots there about non-HRT drugs and HRT. Forewarned is forearmed.

Bramble

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 08:11:56 PM »

Hi Snowgirl

:welcomemm: from me too.

I agree with the others - transdermal method of HRT is the way to go. I would strongly resist being given drugs instead of HRT for a hormonal problem, if there is no medical reason why you should not have HRT! Many doctors are too keen to try this on!

I totally sympathise about the job situation - it was a new job with the Local Authority at County Hall that led me to HRT in the first place. I was peri-menopausal and flushing so much - flinging cardigans on and off, going bright red, having meetings with much younger people - just really embarrassing and getting in the way of what I needed to do! They magically vanished once I started HRT and have been on it more or less ever since ( now aged 61).

Go for it and good luck - also with the job!

Hurdity x

dazedandconfused76

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 10:21:25 PM »

Hi snowgirl and welcome  :)

I'm in similar boat really...my last period was also in April and im wondering whether or not to start hrt. My gp's are totally cool about it in that it's my decision. Anxiety is my main problem so I started ad's for the first time 4 wks ago. I think I'll give them 6 wks and review the situ then.

Would be interested to hear how u get on so keep us posted. Hope u find something that works.

Kikidee xx

karin

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 12:13:47 AM »

I used the patches because i suffer from aura migraine and read risks are lower with patches. Just need to ensure you dont start having more migraines than normal if you do start on patches. The sweats stop within days of starting! There will be settling in issues but only you can decide if hrt is right for you.