Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: new to site and feeling broken  (Read 1942 times)

Kas

new to site and feeling broken
« on: October 22, 2014, 12:26:29 PM »

Hi,
I'll try to keep the history brief.
Was always dreading this part of me life as I haven't been able to have any artificial hormones in my body since my early 20's, so had a feeling this was going to be challenging, if nothing else.I got my first Fibroid adhaenoma( breast lumps)when I was 21 and carried on getting them till I was about 25.They were removed every time and the only explanation they could give was, that it might by an hormonal thing and to stop taking any artificial hormones and I remember thinking, what the hell am i going to do when I get to the menopause, well now I know.......fall apart ( at least that's what it feels like)
I had an abdominal ablation last year to help with the painful periods, which it did, eventually, and this year the doctor put me on Fluoxetine, to help with the mood swings, depression, anxiety (all menopausal symptoms).This was a wonderful tablet after I got past the headaches of the first 2 weeks and  it was going well until about a 3-4 weeks ago.
Now I feel like I'm falling apart,I can't concentrate,have anxiety and panic attacks, tearful at the drop of a hat( find it hard to stop once I've started), overwhelmed and feel like a failure.
I don't know myself any more and I feel like I've forgotten how to do so much stuff.Had a chat with the dr last week about these things.He took some blood tests, am going back tomorrow.
It would be nice to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, as mines gone out and I'm lost. :-\ :'(

Kas

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: new to site and feeling broken
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 12:30:59 PM »

:welcomemm:   â€¦â€¦â€¦â€¦. you may find you need to up the dosage of the Anti-depressant medication.  Also, HRT is different to other forms of therapy, in that it replaces the oestrogen that the body 'normally'  makes - if you have a read of the menus, left of screen, you will find out lots of good info.!

The anxiety, panic attacks etc. are part of menopause symptoms.  It seems that as we get to 'this age' we react more intensely and everything little thing seems HUGE!

Browse round!

TropicalVon69

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 08:13:08 AM »

Share on here and I'm sure you'll find everyone empathetic and full of excellent advice as I have done...just joined too and having the same issues..currently taking citalopram...functioning at least but still anxious with racing horrible thoughts....horrible I know...hope youre having a better day today..take care  :)

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 08:53:52 AM »

hello Kas and welcome

I found this 'It would be nice to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, as mines gone out and I'm lost..' in your post heartwrenching (hug)

I haven't been here a long time myself but what I have found is that when things pile on top of you you can let them out here, someone always replies and there is always someone who understands and feels the same.  It makes it all seem so much less overwhelming.

and yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel, I have started to glimpse it just this year, but it is a long road until you start to see it.

Hope the forum helps you feel less alone x

Kas

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 11:24:35 AM »

Thank you babyjane, your thoughts are comforting and it's nice knowing you're not alone.
Today I'm actually starting to feel abit more me again and my thinking seems less foggy.My partner has been a great support and is helping me by talking about what was the catalyst last week, and has given me a new perspective on things.That and the dr upped my ad's.
I also had my first positive thought this morning and it was'' I've been through worse than this in the past and I will beat this, I'm a survivor''
many thanks xx