Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Prem or Early Meno...any under 45s here?  (Read 11185 times)

Dandelion

Re: Prem or Early Meno...any under 45s here?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 08:46:35 PM »

Please note ladies that menopause symptoms can go on for many years and for a small percentage of women they never stop once they start.
It is very important to replace oestrogen, until at least the age of 50, if you experience a premature menopause unless there are health reasons for not using it.
If you have not been advised to use HRT I would print off the info from this site and get back to your GPs and ask why you haven't been offered HRT. This may sound extreme but I personally feel the medical profession could be deemed to be negligent if they do not treat premature menopause appropriately, as the long term consequences of oestrogen deficiency can be serious.
Keep us posted.  Good luck  DG x
Hi DG

I have had symptoms since the age of 42, and only got hrt last year (insufficient) - does this mean I have placed my bones or heart at risk?
PS was also a smoker for all this time, but now using mainly e-cigs or crafe away non nictotine.

honeybun

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 09:14:07 PM »

Most of us are peri for many years and don't realise it until much later.

Unless your periods stopped completely...ie...premature ovarian failure ....then like the rest of us you should be just fine.

You could request a bone scan and a referral to a cardiologist if you are worried though.

Honeyb
x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 09:29:48 PM »

Dandelion - honeybun is right.  Many women start their peri stage in their 40s so you probably won't actually be post meno till at least 50. So you will have had enough oestrogen for your bones.  You can't just rely on oestrogen to protect your bones, you do need to make sure you have enough calcium, Vit D and some weight baring exercise like brisk walking regularly to ensure your bones are good.
I hope you do ok on your new HRT regime.
DG x

Dandelion

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 06:30:07 PM »

Most of us are peri for many years and don't realise it until much later.

Unless your periods stopped completely...ie...premature ovarian failure ....then like the rest of us you should be just fine.

You could request a bone scan and a referral to a cardiologist if you are worried though.

Honeyb
x
Hi honeyb

My periods never stopped completely, I used to skip the odd month, but thanks for letting me know I should be fine if my periods never stopped completely, that reassures me.
I reckon my peri symptoms started in the spring/summer of 2009, at age 42, that's when I first notice the sweats and flushes happening out of season and even if I never had a cold.
All this time I thought it was tranquiliser withdrawals and wondered why I was being hit so bad, as I was reducing it at a snails pace.

Nata

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 08:31:10 PM »

Hi Taz2 :)
About three years ago my periods became very heavy and frequent. I had been advised to start on mirena but some time soon it stabilized...

Last April after flu I started feeling awful, night sweats, hot flushes, tingling sensations throughout the entire body and anxiety >:( >:( - I seriously started thinking that something was very wrong with until I came to realizations that my periods had been missing as well... I found this forum and had been reading it religiously since then. Since April I had just two periods(both back in July) I had 70 days window before that and today is my 82nd day after...
My G got a full time teaching position and now I have the new one. She ran some tests in August and told me that I was officially peri menopausal. My symptoms got better but I feel now they are getting worse again. My anxiety is the worst of them. I still do not see my symptoms as peri menopausal and keep trying to find some another terrible reason for everything what is happening to me.

Sorry for my mistakes - English is my second language

dazedandconfused76

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 09:16:56 PM »

Hi donnacrichton

Sorry youre going thru this too. Do u find u were doing better on the ad's or better now with hrt? I've not had hrt even mentioned by gp but as I've previously said, the anxiety is my big issue so want to address that first and foremost.

I had a good day yest even tho I had a few things on, then today when I had no plans and was just taking a stroll down a nearby cycle track, bam, anxiety totally out of the blue :( p!ssing me off so much.

Even tho I'm gutted I'm obviously never going to get pregnant again, I now actually can't wait for the full 12 mths of no periods to pass in the (no doubt naive) hope that I may be over the worst of it - in terms of less fluctuations in hormones.

Hope you've felt better today x

Dandelion

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 10:34:02 PM »

Hi Taz2 :)
About three years ago my periods became very heavy and frequent. I had been advised to start on mirena but some time soon it stabilized...

Last April after flu I started feeling awful, night sweats, hot flushes, tingling sensations throughout the entire body and anxiety >:( >:( - I seriously started thinking that something was very wrong with until I came to realizations that my periods had been missing as well... I found this forum and had been reading it religiously since then. Since April I had just two periods(both back in July) I had 70 days window before that and today is my 82nd day after...
My G got a full time teaching position and now I have the new one. She ran some tests in August and told me that I was officially peri menopausal. My symptoms got better but I feel now they are getting worse again. My anxiety is the worst of them. I still do not see my symptoms as peri menopausal and keep trying to find some another terrible reason for everything what is happening to me.

Sorry for my mistakes - English is my second language
Hi Nata

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time.
Your comments about your anxiety is the reason why I made this post.

I also feel bad anxiety, like I am on some weird anxiety-causing drug and suffering the effects.
I am not thinking straight and I just want things to get back to normal, emotionally.

Ginger

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2014, 02:01:38 PM »

Hi, I am new here.  Had been having v heavy periods so given Mirena coil when 35yrs and this helped, periods were v light then. Then all periods stopped about 39yrs and have been having hot flushes & poor sleep since 41yrs. Now 42 yrs I have had a blood test and doc says I am post meno.  I have just started estrogen only HRT as still have Mirena coil and that has progesterone in.  Mostly on HRT to protect my bones but would be nice to have less meno symptoms too!

I am lucky, I have my kids already. But it is still a shock. Didn't realise I had been peri meno all that time, didn't even know what "peri meno" was!

Having approx. 3 yrs with no HRT and no periods, do you think I should have my bone density checked?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2014, 03:19:30 PM »

Hi Ginger and welcome to MM
It might be a good idea to have a DEXA scan just so you know how your bones are doing.  Alongside the HRT you could get some advice about extra measures to help with your bones if there is a problem. If you are still getting flushes then you may need some extra oestrogen.  I used Oestrogel for many years (I had prem Meno) and it allowed me to adjust my oestrogen levels according to my symptoms.  Do read  all the info under headings to the left of this screen and get back to us with questions.
DG x

Ginger

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 07:27:03 AM »

Thanks Dancinggirl.  I've only just started HRT (4days) so it may be a bit too soon to expect the hot flushes to be gone I think?  I'm due to see my doc again in three months so will ask her then if I can get a scan done.  Meanwhile I'll be having a good look at this site - it's great!  I also don't feel so alone now, as before I didn't know anyone who had menopause at this age, except my Mum and she has made it all sound very scary and as if my life as I know it is over  ::)

dazedandconfused76

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 08:00:21 AM »

Hi ginger,

Hope the hrt kicks in pronto and brings u relief from your symptoms...would be interested how u get along on it. I'm up to 6 mths without a period so bit early for me to start it I think.
Know what u mean about having ppl on here to talk to about it :) my mum's the opposite actually...every symptom I get she says "never heard of that being to do with meno" or "I didn't have that" she really plays it down if anything ;) your life certainly isn't over...personally I think the worst aspect of it being early as it is for us is the infertility but as u said uv had yr family so could've been a whole lot worse. It could be a fresh new exciting chapter in yr life (once symptoms are controlled)!
Best wishes

Kikidee x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 08:30:31 AM »

My mother was very dismissive about my meno symptoms - she is the generation that had to put up and shut up - 'just pull yourself together'!!!!!
dazedandconfused - if you haven't had a period for 6 months you shouldn't delay starting HRT if you are oestrogen deficient and under 50 - many women start HRT even when they are still getting periods.  Do have a look at the article on the Daily Mail Website  - excellent stuff.   Dg

dazedandconfused76

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2014, 08:35:14 AM »

Thanks dg, I will take a look x

Cassie

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2014, 12:04:35 PM »

Dazedandconfused... I went through early meno @ 38 as well. I was put onto the oral contraceptive and when I turned 40 I went over onto the Oestrogel for the Oestrogen part and the Utrogestan which I took 12 days each month for the Progesterone part. This is a wonderful system as you feel relatively normal, you still get a monthly bleed, and most importantly, you NEED these hormones, you are way too young to be without them. They are bio identical and perfectly safe to take. I am now 50 and intend to stay on them until 60 if I can but honestly get your Dr to write up a script, and start them esp since you have been period free for 6 months, its not good for your heart or bone health at all neither your mental health you will feel so much better. So sorry re your early meno, at least my kids were born by then...keep us posted but dont leave it, you are not doing your body any favours...
Pages: 1 [2]