Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Lynda Bellingham  (Read 19586 times)

honeybun

Re: Lynda Bellingham
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2014, 06:54:53 PM »

Well yes we do up here.

We have our bowel test kits and a very prominent TV add with a man sitting on the toilet talking about bowel cancer.

I still don't understand the want for publicity at this the most private time. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Honeyb
x

tiger74

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 08:19:32 PM »

I think we 'do' bottoms in the part of England where I live too.  Adults are sent screening kits at a certain age and I often hear radio and see TV 'adverts' about reporting symptoms and changes in bowel habits to one's GP.

Lynda Bellingham seems to be everywhere at the moment - spreading the word about bowel cancer and talking about her new book.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 09:11:16 PM »

Screening kits for those aged 60+  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2014, 09:40:28 PM »

I got my first screening kit two weeks after my 50th birthday.

Honeyb
x

tiger74

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2014, 09:59:38 PM »

I can think of nicer 50th birthday presents  ;)

Joking apart, I'm glad that the NHS offers screening, albeit at different ages in different parts of UK.  I don't know what the take-up rate is for the faecal occult blood test - it's pretty simple and non-invasive but I suppose some people won't engage in the process anyway. 

People at high risk of bowel cancer can have screening from a younger age in certain circumstances.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 10:03:03 PM by tiger74 »

Joyce

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 10:35:21 PM »

I've just sent off my latest one. Been getting since 50. Unfortunately my brother slipped through the net & didn't get his first until 65. He's had treatment for precancerous cells.

Taz2

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 10:39:23 PM »

We get them at 60 here. I did mine but my husband didn't even though he lost his mum to bowel cancer when she was 43. I've given up trying to persuade him.

The only thing which worries me slightly over the testing programme is that it will only show a positive result if you have a tumour which is bleeding at the time of the test. This may lead to people not reporting signs of bowel cancer to their doctor if they have had a negative result. I do appreciate that it's better than not testing at all though.

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 10:16:28 AM »

Just saw her on This Morning. She was looking remarkable, considering.

Rowan

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 02:31:25 PM »

Have had my bowel cancer tests done, it is a bit off putting actually doing the samples though. .

I do think that Linda Bellingham carefully planned speaking out about her bowel cancer to coincide with her book release, because when she was first diagnosed she stated that she wanted to keep it private and not talk about it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 03:19:10 PM »

I didn't talk about my cancer until well after treatment and prognosis.  Couldn't deal with the feelings of others, particularly family!

Limpy

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2014, 09:15:19 AM »

There's just been an interview with her on Woman's Hour.
She's amazing.
Life is so cruel.

Taz2

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2014, 03:36:41 PM »

It doesn't seem as if she has actually says she will stop her cancer treatment http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2784995/I-HAVEN-T-decided-die-says-Lynda-Bellingham-urges-talk-unsexy-diseases-like-bowel-cancer.html  but that she has taken on board the fact she can make that decision after Christmas.

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2014, 04:08:42 PM »

That was my understanding of it too Taz.

Limpy

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 06:53:14 PM »

I didn't listen to all of  the interview carefully.
Think LB had said early on she wanted her sons to remember her as being well.
One thing I do remember is Jenni Murray saying at the end "I'll miss you Bellingham"
They both just chuckled.
It seemed so sad.

Henrietta

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 07:50:02 PM »

I'm sure she will make a huge impact by going public at such a time. I remember reading or hearing about the huge increase in uptake on cervical smears following Jade's untimely death a few years ago. Wishing her well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4