Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vagifem  (Read 19919 times)

ancient runner

Re: Vagifem
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 11:45:08 AM »

Am sure the estring is helping... just not as much as it was. It's possible, as Dancing Girl has found, that it ran out of steam before its official three months was up so it then takes a while of using the new one for things to return to (what passes for) normal.

stanley2012

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 11:56:15 AM »

Hi ladies well I have just been prescribed the vagifem 10mcg today after much persuading of a very reluctant GP! She point blank refuses to give me HRT and told me again that if I ever do get it then i will only be allowed it for two years maximum and then that will be it and i will have to go it alone! I felt like saying to her that I hope she bloody well suffers with the menopause and will realise how much she makes the rest of the female population suffer!  I would never have known about the Vagifem if I had not come across this site but I just hope it helps with the frequent urination/leakage because im only 48 and don't really want to smell of wee when i warm up!

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 12:14:19 PM »

Hi stanely2012

Gald to hear you have some Vagifem but your doctor is completely out of order here.
Iif there is no medical reason why you personally should not be on HRT and you would like it for menopausal symptoms then it is your right to have it. I seem to remember you are very early in menopause and your periods are still mostly regular? Is that right? As they become more erratic and you suffer from night sweats and flushes then be sure to go back to (a different) doc and if no-one in the practice can help then insist on a referral to a menopause clinic if there is one near you. If you are suffering now then no reason why you shouldn't be referred sooner rather than later.

With the Vagifem - make sure you do the 14 day loading ie each night for a fortnight then twice a week thereafter.

Hurdity x

Maryjane

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 12:26:56 PM »

You can report to the GMC annonousmly via the Internet, these docs attitudes make my blood boil.

Morwenna

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 12:41:22 PM »

Shocking  >:(  What did your GP suggest would help with regard to your frequency/leakage problem?

stanley2012

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 12:43:11 PM »

Yes I am probably classed as early stages and have only missed the last period but I have a lot of symptoms such as poor sleep, aching joints, occasional hot flushes, skin like a teenage boy, foggy head, mood changes but the only thing she would acknowledge was the urinary issues.  She seemed to be implying that it could be depression but believe me that is not the case at all as I have experienced depression in the past and know the signs.  I have been advised to use the Vagifem one pessary twice weekly and have only been given 24.  I feel really disheartened to be honest and wonder how we get through this minefield in one piece!

stanley2012

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 12:44:41 PM »

Morwenna she just printed off the information about pelvic floor exercises and told me they were really hard to do but have a go!  I am such a good fighter but cant understand why I feel unable to deal with these people!

Morwenna

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 12:53:04 PM »

You must use one Vagifem pessary each night for the first two weeks. This will leave ten which will last another four to five weeks and you should be able to order a repeat prescription before they run out. I use one every third night to keep it a regular dose. (Mark it on the calendar is a good tip). After initially thinking it wasn't helping my bladder issues it seems to be working now. So it took about six weeks I reckon, including the two week 'load up. I also invested in a battery operated pelvic toner - takes the hard work out of pelvic floor exercises! Good luck  :great:

Hurdity

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2014, 12:55:10 PM »

You must use the Vagifem nightly for 14 days to plump up the vaginal tissues as I said, and then twice a week. It should say that in the instructions? 24 will therefore only last 7 weeks. Make sure you get another appointment in time to renew the prescrption and please go to someone else - if you can find out which doctor in the practice understands menopause and is at least open to HRT! It could be that a very low dose HRT would be sufficient initially to alleviate your symptoms. As you get further into peri-menopause of course your dose may have to be increased. You deserve better than this!

I do hope the Vagifem at least starts to help with your bladder issues.

Yes and good luck with the pelvic floor exercises. Fancy saying they are hard  :(.

Hurdity x  :)

Edit - oops Morwenna we posted the same thing at same time!!

Morwenna

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2014, 01:06:52 PM »

Great minds think alike  ;D

stanley2012

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 01:59:57 PM »

Ok Ladies I will do the every night for a fortnight but why would she put on the instructions only twice a week? I wont be getting an overdose and my foof will fall off will it! Heavens its all so complicated! I told my husband it fluffs up your foof and he was rather excited at the prospect ha ha x

Taz2

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »

That made me laugh stanley!!

If you have a look at this patient info leaflet (which should be included in the pack) and scroll down to how to use it you will see that it says to use one a night for fourteen nights https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/23818/XPIL/Vagifem+10+micrograms+vaginal+tablets/

Not every GP knows how it works and so miss out on the loading up phase before settling down to the twice a week instructions!

Taz x

stanley2012

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 02:41:01 PM »

Thanks Taz! I read the instructions and it does indeed say once a night for 14 days so I will do that.  To be honest if I had told her I wanted a brain transplant she would have agreed so that she could get shot of me! I went to a woman because I felt she would understand but noooo!

dahliagirl

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 03:52:52 PM »

I take vagifem.  It definitely needs a 2 week loading.  In some places, I have read that it needs a further 2 weeks alternate days, before you go on twice a week.

I have never got to twice a week.  I seem to need 3.  My prescriptions say 'one or two twice weekly' and they do keep supplying the repeats, so no problem there.

I have GP troubles too. I decided to try full hrt because of aching joints.  I went to the female GP who I had been recommended previously for womens issues but had not been able to see (the one who sorted this out in the end had left).  She gave me Elleste duet and did not ask about periods or anything, gave me a speech about it being restricted to 5 years or I would be at risk of breast cancer, and I was out the door.  I am not sure I even got the full 10 minutes  ::)  I have since seen someone else who may not be an 'expert'  but is prepared to look it up and think it through and tell me why.  I changed to femeston because I do not like the progestogen in elleste - I have had it previously in a contraceptive pill.  So far so good, and it does help with the bladder issues too which the vagifem does not fully address.

My surgery has a lot of gps, but they only seem to be available every 3 weeks. They also seem to stick to protocols like glue, probably to give more continuity between doctors. I am hoping the new NICE guidelines will be less prescriptive when they come out next year and my gps will take note.

babyjane

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 08:04:40 PM »

Hi stanley, nice to see you.

Yep, I did the 2 weeks loading and my foof is still there  ;) in fact I do a 2 week reload about once a year and it still stays where it is, you'll be fine  :)
Pages: 1 [2]