Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Citalopram - how does it make you feel?  (Read 15009 times)

suey43

Citalopram - how does it make you feel?
« on: September 22, 2014, 07:12:43 PM »

Hello,
Been taking HRT for a few weeks. Main symptoms are palpitations and anxiety. Still suffering and now feeling quite depressed and 'weird' - cant think of another way to describe it

GP now thinks I need extra help and has given me Citalapram 10mg to try. Anyone found these worked? Haven't started then yet but an pretty desperate to deep better as am now having to take time off work as its all too much

Never had anxiety or this very strange feeling before even during extremely stressful times.

Any advice appreciated.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Citalopram - how does it make you feel?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 07:19:40 PM »

Most medications have initial side effects, it all depends on whether the patient is able to tolerate them long enough to let the medication begin to work.  HRT also takes time to kick in.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 07:30:04 PM »

suey43 - A colleague of mine at work who was suffering dreadfully with meno symptoms and anxiety is using HRt alongside Citalopram and I have to say she is a new women.
EVeryone is different and as CLKD says, I think you have to get throughout the initial side effects before you feel the benefit.  Good luck   Dg x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:54:46 PM »

I am a bit sensitive to most meds.

They made me sick and very light headed and I couldn't stop shaking. Everyone is different though and you won't know until you try.

Honeyb
x

suey43

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 10:35:26 AM »

Hello,

Thanks for replies everyone.
Just been doing the old googling of SSRIs which has scared me to death. So many scare stories about how they change your brain, potentially for ever.

Everything seems so daunting. Hard to make such a big decision when you're not feeling yourself.

Still unsure whether to take them. Taking a few days off work to try and get a bit more perspective.

Winterose

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 11:07:51 AM »

I felt like that too , its horrible, perhpaps give the HRT a bit more time , it could be 3 months before you get full benefits, maybe they need to up the dose?

Kelly

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 11:55:25 AM »

Suey 43    citalopram seems to be a favourite at the moment but I wonder if  there are better ones for anxiety. I found even 10 mg after about 6 weeks gave me achey limbs and sweats. Only realised  what it was when I checked the leaflet.
Some people find Prozac good or a beta blocker but unfortunately you have to try them first really. It's a tough time for you and you need a good supportive doctor. Keep us posted as to how you get on.
Kelly x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 12:11:08 PM »

Of course they change your brain  :bang: :bang: :bang: ....... ::)   the brain is an organ very often neglected.  Until depression sets in.  If you are hungry, do you not eat? If you have pain, do you not take relief?  For many years I fought against taking ADs because I need/ed to know what is causing my constant depression.  Usually it's lack of chemicals.  When I accepted that I need to take a low maintance dose FOR LIFE, I was able to move forwards.

Many things we eat/drink/imbibe - do nor not - alter our bodies/brain for ever!

What scares you the most?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 02:13:15 PM »

Bravo CLKD.  Just as there are so many silly scare stories about HRT, there are negative accounts about almost any drug. If anxiety and depression are ruining your life and you have tried CBT etc, then it makes sense that ADs are the answer. It's worth giving them a go and if they don't suit you, then stop.
I think one of the down sides of this site is you can get some mixed messages as there will always be positive and negative experiences that are shared. It is easy to latch onto the negative stories. It is very difficult to be objective about yourself and to know what is the best thing to do - especially if you are anxious or depressed.  Sometimes you just have to trust your doctor and go with their advice - they may well be right.  DG x

thorntrees

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 03:24:42 PM »

I agree with DancingGirl and CKLD on this one. If you trust your GP to do the best for you its worth giving ADs a go. I held out for a while and then my GP compared the high blood pressure med I have been taking for years to keep BP stable to taking citalopram to keep serotonin stable and it seemed to make sense to give it a try. Yes there were some side effects and yes it took some time to work but if you don't feel it is right for you after a while you can always stop them (albeit slowly). There still seems to be a stigma attached to ADs,  as if you have failed in some way if you need them,  but you have to do what is necessary to feel the best you can-life is too short to spend it on a state of constant anxiety! Hope you feel better soon

Thorntrees

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 03:35:20 PM »

I would suggest that you have a long chat with your GP.  Talk through the various anti-depressant options.  Ask how they work, what they are designed for and what other conditions they might help because some ADs have been found to help with hot flushes.  If you decide to go the AD route, how about taking 2 weeks from work?  That way you aren't ruled by the alarm, you don't have to justfiy yourself to anyone and you can take your time adjusting.

It can take up to 3 months before a sufferer begins to realise that actually, they are beginning to feel better.   ;)

Also the ADs used now are NOT like the valium-types used in the 1960s so a patient cannot become 'hooked'.  The brain can become used to a drug so it may require weaning off because the side-effects felt initially come back, but they are not addictive. 

Also - again  ::) - why feel that you have to explain that you are taking ADs  :-\ - do you tell people each time you go to the loo, when you change your socks, which cereal you eat? 

Keeping a mood/food diary can help as can a journal - vent, vent, vent ......... once the depression and anxiety 'lifts' we can see the 'wood for the trees' and can make more informed decisions.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 04:05:33 PM »

suey43 - I think CLKD and thorntrees have given you brilliant advice - do read their last posts carefully and follow their advice - sometimes we just need to be told what to do.
 DG x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 04:09:11 PM »

So true  ::) - the times DH used to shout across the room when I was giving advice "Wish you would take your own advice" ………  ;D and he told me over and over and ………. "your body is hungry so EAT" ….. we are lucky in the West that we have choices, GPs to discuss issues with, no outside influence telling girls that they can't go to School or have medication or ……….

I find that if I take a list with me my GP/Practice Nurse can go through it with me.

suey43

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 05:30:06 PM »

Thanks everyone for your very helpful advice - I appreciate it so much. You're all so kind to take the time to help.

It's so good to hear from people who've been through similar tough times. Am also seeing a counsellor this week so may talk about CBT to see if that could help.

Good idea about taking time off work - I'm doing that this week to give me some thinking time.

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 07:16:13 PM »

Notwithstanding the  helpful advice you have been given about ADs from those who take them or know of them, I still think you have not given HRT enough time to work - and even whether you know if it is the right preparation for you. I think we have maybe discusssed on another thread - but I can't remember your circumstances and what HRT you are on?

A few weeks definitely is not long enough - if the palpitations and anxeity and weirdness are new to you and you don't have a history of depression, and you can find other ways to cope, I would try to do so before starting the ADs. You don't sound that keen on trying them anyway and I might be repeating myself when I say, that if it is the HRT type that is helping to make you feel weird, what you don't need is to take another kind of medication to counter this feeling.

As I said, if you can cope I would really try to see if you can find an HRT regime that will suit you - and this will take time, and maybe a bit of trial and error.

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2 3