Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Menopause mate  (Read 3181 times)

TropicalVon69

Menopause mate
« on: October 23, 2014, 09:07:25 AM »

Hello ladies
I just wanted to share that today I actually felt listened to and understood by a nurse at my practice...I felt so grateful to her as I have been fobbed off by docs at the practice and honestly I feel so much better as she shared that she was going through similar.
I actually went to get a smear test but was not due one til January but feel so much better having spoken to her, in fact I am thinking about setting a support group up in my area. I feel that this site has helped me immensely and meeting people in similar situations would be great for us all.  Anyone have any ideas on how to go about this?...Thank in advance and hope youre all having as good a day as possible with all the meno symptoms.  And a huge thank you to the nurse I saw this morning to who I recommended this site to  :peace:

Larney

Re: Menopause mate
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 03:50:40 PM »

What a lovely positive post! Thank you for sharing.
 :thankyou:

Ps Sorry...No ideas about setting up a support group.

TropicalVon69

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 04:48:26 PM »

:thankyou: for the reply Nillers..nice to hear from you..hopefully someone will come and share wisdom :-) ...hope you are well today  :)

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 06:11:57 PM »

doesn't it make a difference when you feel listened to, and valued.

good luck with setting up a group, sorry but I have no advice for you I wouldn't know where to start but well done for the motivation.  Hope someone can help.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 06:39:12 PM »

If your Practice Nurse is on side then discuss setting up a group with her?  It will be handy to have a professional with medical knowledge at the meetings.  Perhaps you could use the Surgery or if you want to make it informal, the village hall.  Perhaps ask where the local WI meets, you may well find that if the Practice Nurse and you 'do' a talk to them one evening, you will get plenty of ideas!

Many ladies want to be anonymous ……….

TropicalVon69

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 07:02:14 AM »

Thanks for your replies ladies, having a rubbish morning anxiety wise..just want it all to go away...still perimenopausal but this anxiety is really getting me down....have a teenager who is hostile every time I speak to her and I'm worried about her.....obv shes struggling with hormones too ...bad combo  :hotflash:....felt quite positive yesterday  >:(.......thanks CLKD yeah the nurse suggested I could have it in the surgery....I have a friend who works in the community so will ask her advice too......I just want to cry it feels all too much today

TropicalVon69

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 07:05:08 AM »

Yes Baby Jane it feels so good to be listened to and understood......hating menopause!!!!......wish there was some magic cure but had FSH levels checked in July and were normal so doc not entertaining me  :-\...how are you all today?

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 12:42:58 PM »

Have a Good Cry.  Let your teen see your tears too!  When you are less fragile have a chat about how you see the next 3 months going, what with C.mas and New Year approaching.  Ask her how she would like to spend the next few weeks so that you can reach a compromise and she feels that she ins't in conflict.

karenja

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 02:07:49 PM »

Hi TropicalVon69

What area are you in? I would like to join a support group and this site has been invaluable to me, bet your not in Wales? x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 02:35:48 PM »

Beginning a group needs careful consideration.

Venue: free or paid for
Tea and cakes - therefore ? food handling cert.?  reasonable charge required
Weekly, monthly, 3 monthly meetings?
If it kicks off then a committee might be worth while as well as a treasurer to keep everything 'above board'
If you keep peoples' details on computer you will need to be registered with the Data Protection Office which costs++!

orrla

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 03:10:26 PM »

Hi

I think you need to think what is it you would like yourself as one of such women - would this be a meeting with few other strangers all winging and crying while looking what clothes others are wearing and chewing on cakes  ;)   :-\  ::) or, perhaps, phone in - sort of helpline with number where one could call when feeling blue, or in need of support? ... as we often can at odd times of a day..  :o   

... later you could think about some convenient space, could be local coffee shop at back table, where to meet for more cheerful and energising optimistic chat? 

You cold try to persuade to go on short walks together, to get some fresh air and exercise too, or organise to go to see something interesting together... I don't think you really need any 'office' for all that.

I think ladies here could help to think, by letting their fantasy work to imagine this what is it they are, themselves, are missing most in the whole stress on Meno?

Let me guess... a warm hug?.. a bit of attention? ... someones' concern? ... practical advice...? ... holding hand?  :-*   :P

Would you bother with regular meetings or prefer just to know that there is some person and space you could go to if you felt worried or confused? ...

TropicalVon69

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 07:44:58 AM »

Thanks for your input ladies, certainly dont want anything too formal, so we would feel relaxed and defininetely would be good to winge and cry at some points lol but yeah positive plans for activities sounds good too...\i am going to speak to my friend who works in the community to help as she is menopausal too....still having a horrible time with anxiety and depression...my period is overdue still peri and fed up getting through the days instead of enjoying them....this damn menopausal stuff is the pits...feel scared and anxious and often the only relief I get is at night....just want to cry...thanks CLKD yes, my teenagedaughter has seen my tears and the only person who hugs me is my youngest daughter who is 8 and regularly makes me cry with hugs.......I was such a positive, strong and independant person....this is so not me...I hate it and feel lost right now and sorry for my children who have to deal with the way I am.......thanks for listening, sorry not a very positive post....Huggage to you all sisters XXX