Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Anxiety Will it ever stop 😞  (Read 39339 times)

karenja

Anxiety Will it ever stop 😞
« on: September 20, 2014, 06:54:24 AM »

Hi I have posted about my anxiety so much I'm driving myself mad!but it's taking over my life I've stopped doing things, even now my chest is tight as I had a panic attack in the night- I'm going back yet again to gp but so reluctant to take anyi depressants or beta bloc or Valium, I'm on hrt patches which have helped flushes and night sweats at least! Had anybody found any help for their anxiety apart from taking medication? I know cbt and no more pain site hax been mentioned and I've got a drawer full of information on dealing with anxiety and tried the 321 excersise but still suffering! Just glad I've found this site and I'm not alone with these symptoms - gp's I my practice don't seem too familiar with anxiety being a menupause sympto

Wanderer

Re: Anxiety Will it ever stop 😞
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 09:07:42 AM »

Morning karenja! I know exactly how you feel! My anxiety came along with completely out of the blue along with loads of other symptoms, just when I thought that I should have been done with menopause!

The trouble is, it's completely out of your control, you have nothing to be anxious about, so you can't rationalise it and stop the feelings, it's as though something has taken over your body. Deep abdominal breathing really helps, and releases the tightness in the chest, but I found as soon as I moved, or thought about doing anything, the anxiety shot straight through me again! I am sure that the anxiety is the main cause of all the other symptoms like tingling in hands and feet, foggy thinking, loss of concentration, IBS etc., all can be linked to generalised anxiety.

I took Sertraline, which really helped, takes about 6 weeks to really make a difference but once you start not feeling anxious, the rest of you calms down. Our bodies get so worn out with the anxiety I think. Sertraline is one of the better AD's as it is non addictive. Other ladies may not agree and suggest non-medication, but it did help me.

I do feel for you, it is a vicious circle, you are anxious because you are anxious!

But you are not alone, it is the biggest subject on this forum!

Big hug WANDERER XXX

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 03:29:59 PM »

So if you won't take medication to ease symptoms how do you expect to get relief?

karenja

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 04:01:03 PM »

thank you Wanderer, its comforting knowing Im not alone and I know Im not just reading posts on here, CLKD Im just scared of anti depressants as I had a bad experience with them, but I have been advised there is a different kind of ad that may not have as bad side effects, so will mention that to the doctor, I was just hoping somebody would have experience of maybe taking something herbal that has helped that's all x

PaulineW

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 04:21:44 PM »

Snap I'm having anxiety symptons too just started having CBT have you tried it ?  :-* Xx

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 04:32:32 PM »

If herbal or alternatives worked they would be available on the NHS!

All medications are liable to have side effects so it really can be Trial and Error, I found that out in the 1990s  :'(.  But my GP and I worked together until we found something which works to lift the depression, some mornings I wake 'hung over' but generally the relief from depression is enormous. I take 5mg in the morning and 5mg at night. The anxiety is dealt with by taking a betablocka at night, if necessary adding 1 extra dose in the morning.

If anxiety cripples me then I have an 'emergency' drug to take.  I used to wait to see if I could 'work' through the anxiety but decided after 3 bad episodes to take it immediately, then sit quietly until it began to kick in.

I had been OK for several years with ADs and BBs, 2 years ago I had to crawl to the GP as I was unable to cope (DH was away …… long story short  ::) ) and again when we bought the camper van, I had terrible attacks of crippling anxiety which left me curled up in a ball in the corner  :'(

Tabbycat

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »

I've been on Citalopram for about four months now and it's fine - although I'm not anxiety-free, I certainly cope a lot better than before, and apart from the first week (which was difficult), I've had no side effects. I tried betablockers but they make me feel awful - tired and heavy.

If you don't want to go the AD route, try Rescue Remedy - it really does help but it only works for an hour or so (good for exams and interviews!).

5HTP and St John's Wort also work but are really only for mild anxiety.

If there are specific things that make you anxious, you could try hypnotherapy.

I had a few sessions of CBT which I found useful but it takes work!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 04:52:34 PM »

CBT didn't help me.   My issues were too deeply engrained  :-\ ……..

Tabbycat …. :thankyou: ………. Rescue Remedy can be useful too, I had forgotten.  There are mouth sprays, pastilles ……..

rosebud57

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 05:24:49 PM »

What about meditation. It help some people. There is lots of books and DVD/CDs. Could be worth a try.

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 07:54:47 PM »

I think that the thing about anxiety is its individual.

What bothers some does not others. Mine is mostly health related. if I feel reasonably well then I cope. I have IBS and am terrified of being caught short. I get light headed and giddy, feel a bit faint and just want to be outside. I hate enclosed spaces, doctors surgeries , hospitals and dentist's. Add in emitophobia and you get the picture.
Others can be completely different.

I tried one AD and was very sick. I tried CBT...rubbish councillor.

What has helped me is beta blockers. The occasional diazepam and the understanding that none of the above have ever harmed me.
Once you get your head around that then you have made a huge step forward.

Depression for me is completely different. I am not depressed I am anxious.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 08:08:36 PM »

Thanks Honeybun.  Some of your problems are also mine  :'(  :-\

Now: deep breathing.  I was taugth to take a very deep breath in quickly through the nose: hold for 1, 2,3 then let out through the mouth very slowly.  To begin with I was unable to hold the 1,2,3 but with practice I did manage.  But it takes practice ………………… only do it 3 times otherwise the head gets 'light'  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 08:35:40 PM »

When I'm anxious I realise I am hardly breathing at all.

Breathe from the tummy and not the chest.

When I had problems driving I had an elastic band that I wore around my wrist.If I got really bad I pinged it...it focused the mind on something else. Very sad but it did work.

It's a hell of a thing anxiety.

Looking back I think I have been always been that way inclined but more able to cope when I was a lot younger.

I was fine until I lost my daughter. My world crumbled and anxiety started its very slow but progressive journey. Meno has just reduced my ability to cope.

Honeyb
x

karenja

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 06:37:49 AM »

Hi so sorry to hear you lost your daughter hb that's awful and inderstandable that that has contributed to your symptoms :( - as for breathing I have been trying to breathe from the stomach and not the chest and have read you are meant to push your stomach out when you breathe in through your nose and in when you breathe out through your mouth which isn't easy go do sometimes I gets stressed out trying to do that and just use a paper bag and breathe in and out with that - I'm going to try and keep busy today hoping that will help as got tight chest already x

karenja

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 06:45:42 AM »

Does anybody take to their bed if they are getting anxiety or any other horrible menopause symptoms, I very often just go to bed in the daytime on the weekend or go early in the evenings as try to sleep to stop feeling so awful us lack if sleep at night drains you x

Maryjane

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 07:16:16 AM »

Breathing into the stomach does help, I do it automatically now I find it very hard to try and breath the "old" way, I just tried the old way and could feel a sense of panic coming over my body.

Lie on the bed close your eyes, both hands on your tummy and breath as if you are breathing right down into your pelvic floor, slow breaths and whilst doing so take yourself off on a mental journey to a happy place.

It's the breathing they use in yoga, but they make a roaring noise when doing it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11