Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Gum problems  (Read 6295 times)

Topsy

Gum problems
« on: September 07, 2014, 12:14:22 PM »

Hi everyone.  I'm sure I'm in perimenopause - everything has suddenly added up from the aching joints, depressed and anxious feeling, sore boobs and of course the change in my cycle.  But has anyone else suffered from gum infections?  I've had two in the past few months - so painful  :'( and I wonder if this is related.  My oral hygiene is good, and I visit the dentist regularly so not sure what I can do to prevent it happening. x

honeybun

Re: Gum problems
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 12:40:45 PM »

Yes, me.

I had bleeding gums before I started HRT. They have since improved a lot. My dentist told me it was down to lack of oestrogen.

Another lovely meno symptom.

Honeyb
x

Topsy

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 12:47:10 PM »

Don't you just wish you'd been born a man sometimes?  ;D  Thanks for replying.  I'll discuss it with my dentist next time.  Trying to avoid antibiotics again if I can as they didn't seem to do much last time.  My friend suggested slooshing it with whiskey.  It's doing a great job but my bathroom now smells like a pub!   

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 12:54:23 PM »

Have you tried Corsydl mouth wash. It's very good and its what dentist's use. Get the daily use one though as the stronger one stains your teeth.

Honeyb
x

Rowan

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 01:09:20 PM »

Agree with what HB has said also lack of vitamin C can cause gum problems, even receding gums

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/vitamin-c-deficiency-pro

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/healthconditionsdisease/a/gum_disease.htm

Topsy

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 04:08:21 PM »

Thanks Honeybun.  I used the daily one anyway, but dentist recommended the disgusting tasting one which yes, does make your teeth yellow.  I'm seeing them again a week Wednesday so hopefully can have a bit of a clean off!  It's horrible and makes the end of your tongue feel tingly, but it does seem to be working, especially when you put it inside a water flosser!  Just wish it would all stop recurring and my gums are apparently receding too.

Got the toothpaste as well - equally yukky!!  I had no idea lack of Vit C can contribute.  I think my diet isn't helping anything meno related at the moment, so I must have a bit of a look at that. I've only recently sussed what's going on with me as everything didn't seem related, but this lovely forum has helped enormously.

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 05:18:59 PM »

My dentist is totally against Corsodyl and Bonjela, not sure why, he seems a reasonable human being. However, he does strongly recommend Difflam for sore gums. Don't think it makes your teeth yellow if it's not used in the long term.

Topsy

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 06:01:08 PM »

Thank you - I've not heard of that before.  I'll look it up.  It's got to taste better than Corsodyl. 

Linsey44

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 07:17:42 PM »

Hi topsy, yes def another meno symptom.  After i had ovaries out my gums were bleeding even just running my tongue round my mouth.  Hrt has helped.

I used aloe vera mouthwash and toothpaste as its anti inflammatory and also rubbed gengigel on them.  Gengigel comes in gel and also a mouth rinse. My dentist said it was wise.

Limpy

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 07:23:26 PM »

Topsy - Difflam does work very well, can't comment on the taste. However, it does seem to make the mouth quite numb.

rosebud57

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 07:25:16 AM »

Try Q10 supplements.  Have been taking it for about 6 months and no more bleeding gums, even though I'm very bad at remembering to floss.

Topsy

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 03:07:52 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I'll definitely try them.  Infection is easing a bit now thankfully and seeing hygienist for an extra appointment next week.