Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Blister - keeps on growing  (Read 26253 times)

Limpy

Re: Blister - keeps on growing
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »

Know exactly what you mean Catdude.

The Dr and both nurses I saw said current practice WAS to drain blisters. The logic being if they do burst they "make a right mess"

Can you make an appt to see the nuse saying you want advice?
The thing is when it's burst it's like an open wound, needs dressings and care not to get wet or dirty.

Mine has healed now but has left a massive red mark. Think I mentioned I got another bite shortly after and I ****ed it when it was small, with a sterilised needle. Covered it with savlon, though I believe TCP is better and put a plaster on it.

Do go and see the nurse, you will need to get it dressed and looked at properly.

Good luck

Just thought on a bit - I left mine, it ended up Golf Ball sized
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:33:23 PM by Limpy »

honeybun

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »

When  I had my horse fly bite which my daughter said cast a shadow  ::) I burst it myself. I never went to the GP.
I used one of OHs sterile needles and went for it. I then dressed it myself.

I really don't think it made a lot of difference....between doing it myself and seeing the doctor.

As long as you cover it you would be fine. After all I only made a tiny hole and the fluid seeped out. I had to do it a few times covering after each time.

If it had become hot and angry looking I would have seen someone.

Two years on I still have the scar.....It's on my arm.

It's not that I'm brave....I burned my neck....cauliflower cheese incident.....and I was at the nurse the next day and every other day afterwards for a week.  ::)

Honeyb
x

catdude

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2014, 08:25:16 PM »

The GP that advised leaving it did admit that there were mixed views on whether to drain or leave alone with some doctors advising one thing and others another. I can see his logic in leaving it as the body has put the blister there to protect the skin underneath - he described it as being like a sterile dressing - but it must have to 'burst' sooner or later so to me it seems to make more sense for it to be deliberately drained in a controlled (sterile) fashion rather than when I inevitably end up catching it on something..... :-\ If it hasn't gone by Monday I'll go back.

honeybun

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2014, 09:06:21 PM »

If it's a horse fly bite they are incredibly dirty. Sorry if TMI but when I burst mine it was not clear fluid that came out but dirty brown water.

I think better out than in. If you are only making a tiny hole then the skin is still protecting things. I can't see how a blister full of yukky stuff is a good idea.

I really would do it myself.

Honeyb
x

catdude

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2014, 09:19:16 PM »

Honeybun - I am getting more and more tempted to do, more because it is just a nuisance than anything else and it has to burst sooner or later I would have thought and I would really prefer that to be under my control rather than just random.

I'm not sure if I could actually do it myself being THE most squeamish person in the world but my husband has offered...... I was wondering about getting a sterile needle (other than boiling / burning one of my sewing needles which I didn't quite fancy) but have just remembered my husband has a stock of sterile tattoo needles (he has trained as a tattooist) - these are the individually wrapped single-use type and very fine so just the job!

If it hasn't gone by the morning I think I'll do it. I have sterile melolin type dressings in the cupboard to cover it afterwards,

honeybun

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2014, 09:25:37 PM »

Sounds ideal.

If you can get TCP cream then that is brilliant.

Don't look and you won't feel a thing. I did have to do mine about four times as it kept filling up

Oh joy.

Honeyb
x

Limpy

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2014, 08:59:31 AM »

Catdude - Listen to Honeyb.
I wish I had when my blister started, I didn't and it grew to golf ball size.
The next one I ****ed when it was lust pea sized, much easier to cope with.
I have to confess I sterilised one of my sewing needles, put it in kettle steam. Didn't feel a thing when I did it. It's just skin, no nerve endings.

catdude

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2014, 05:24:06 PM »

Well, the deed is done. Husband did it this morning with sterile needle, warm water / salt mix to clean skin after (that stung!) and sterile dressing over the top. I suspect it is filling again but is less painful than it was before. I'll have a look at it when I change the dressing tonight. In future I will be ignoring medical advice and following my instinct and dealing with any blister of this sort as soon as it starts rather than waiting for it to be large and more of a problem.

honeybun

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2014, 07:15:16 PM »

Well done you.

Get some TCP. If you can't get cream then try and get the antiseptic liquid.
My hubby is a type 1 diabetic. He has to be really careful with his feet and legs as his circulation is poor. TCP is invaluable to me. I can actually get his shins to heal when he has done something silly in the garden. It's old fashioned and stinks but boy does it work.

Honeyb
x

Limpy

« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2014, 09:58:46 AM »

Catdude - How's the blister, has it tried to fill up again?

catdude

« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2014, 11:34:35 AM »

Hi Limpy - there appears to be a small amount of fluid in it but nowhere near what there was before. It's sore when anything touches it but the skin around it looks well enough, no sign of redness or anything so fingers crossed it is just a matter of letting it heal. I've got a gauze dressing on it just to keep out any possible dirt.

Honeybun - useful tip about TCP. I'm one of the few people that likes the smell of it although it does linger  :D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2014, 05:45:24 PM »

I LOVE TCP smell  :-X   :P
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]