Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Unconscious and meno symptoms  (Read 7667 times)

Dancinggirl

Re: Unconscious and meno symptoms
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 05:33:20 PM »

My first thought would be to consider a Mirena.  This could control the bleeding and far less progesterone is absorbed so fewer side effects.  You could then just add some oestrogen in patch or gel form to reduce flushes etc. This might be better if you are so sensitive to hormones in pill form.
I assume you are peri menopausal?
Dg xxx

cherylks

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 07:21:58 PM »

I am definitely perimenopausal.  Had night sweats for couple of years, now get the odd hot flush, palpitations, anxiety, etc...  Periods been going awry since last year.  Anything from constant bleeding for 3 months to now having bleeds spaced out from 6.5 to 7.5 weeks apart.  The doc didn't mention mirena.  And said HRT is only for once gone through menopause.  Will think about Mirena if I get another episode.  Sounds better than pill.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 07:55:39 PM »

Why wait  :-\ medication has improved over the years and you cannot risk causing an accident whilst driving.  You may not get a warning in future.

Your GP has offered you medication, if you don't want to risk feeling suicidal again - been there myself - have a chat about other options?  Mirena coil as suggested ……….

Dancinggirl

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2014, 07:59:27 PM »

I'm sorry but your GP is talking rubbish if he/she is telling you that HRT is only given once you are through the menopause  :bang:.  If you are getting peri meno symptoms as you are ( the excessive bleeding you are experiencing can be a typical symptom in the peri stage ) - then HRT should definitely be an option. However, controlling this heavy bleeding is a priority at this stage and I believe many gynaes use the Mirena as it can be very effective in controlling the bleeds. Maybe your GP is thinking you are too young to be menopausal? In which case he/she is even more out of touch!!!  How old are you ?
What hormone pills is your GP suggesting? I don't know about the contraceptive pills that are around now but when I first started to get problems with my cycle (I was in my mid 30s when this started) my GP tried me on The Pill and it really didn't suit me - basically it was the wrong hormones - once I was diagnosed as peri meno I started HRT aged 37!!!!
If you are given continuous progesterone (I think many who have heavy bleeding are given this to start with) then you may have problems as you could be progesterone intolerant which is why you had problems before. The Mirena can reduce such symptoms although some women who are very sensitive still have issues.
I think you should be asking to be referred to a gynae as you could have fibroids and such dramatic bleeding should be investigated  'just in case'.
Keep us posted  Dg x

cherylks

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 06:36:27 AM »

I am 50 years old.  I don't have heavy bleeding all the time now so would Mirena still be right option?  For instance, this last period, although had sudden gush of heavy bleeding at hospital, within 2 days settled down and now stopped completely as of yesterday. 
Can someone tell me what is it like having a Mirena coil inserted?  I.e. painful, takes long?  What stops it coming back out again?  Does it affect having sex?  What is it made of?  Sorry but have heard of it but never liked the sound of it. 

As far as driving, we are going on holiday today (to Yorkshire) for a week and OH does most driving when we are away.  It at least gives me time to think about all this. 
Thanks for all the concern and advice.  Much appreciated x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 08:12:48 AM »

Hi cherylks
I had a Mirena post meno as I was struggling with progesterone in other HRT preparations so it is used for a variety of reasons. I believe many women are given the Mirena if they experience any heavy bleeding.  It also acts as a contraceptive so no other contraception required through the peri stage. It takes minutes to insert and at your age it would probably be mildly uncomfortable (for me it was quite painful because of atrophy).  You can ask to have it done under general anaesthetic and many are fitted after an investigative procedure. You can have some stomach cramps for a few hours afterwards. Coils of all sorts have been used for a very long time but the Mirena is different because it contains progesterone which is slowly released (over 4 years) more directly where it is needed.   It doesn't interfere with sex in any way. I think it is designed to basically wedge inside the uterus - they have been known to slip out but not often.  There are strings that hang down inside the vagina which you can feel to check it is still in place.  It is quite small and I think it is a combination of metal and plastic - but I'm not sure about this.
The Mirena slowly releases progesterone thereby keeping the uterus from thickening - there is far less absorption into the rest of the body so in theory there should be fewer side effects - some women still find they get some side effects. The Mirena will eventually result in no bleeding at all - a bit of a plus really!
AS you have struggled with hormone treatments before this could be an option but I think you need to discuss this with a gynae who will be able to advice you. I still think a referral would be a good idea as I think you need peace of mind about these terrible bleeding 'floods'. Good luck and keep us posted.   DG xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 05:42:11 PM »

:thankyou:  Dancinggirl!

Enjoy your break Cherylks!

cherylks

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 08:02:15 PM »

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/Smileys/extended/thankyou.gif
Thank you for all the info Dancinggirl.  Really helpful.   
Pages: 1 [2]